Sign in to follow this  
Choppasmith

Project RE-Quest - Modernizing old DW releases CURRENT: A DW2 Beta Appears!

On 2/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, Sackchief said:

That's actually a cool idea.  We could make a custom label for Dragon Quest Re Quest NES cart too.

How does one go about doing this? I would pay good money for a full set of Re-Quest games once Choppasmith is finished.

17 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

How does one go about doing this? I would pay good money for a full set of Re-Quest games once Choppasmith is finished.

Maybe a custom order from an Etsy store? There's a DQM:CH case I want to purchase from there.

On 2/24/2019 at 5:28 PM, AustNerevar said:

This has potential:

http://www.infiniteneslives.com/nesmaker.php

Didn't@Choppasmith say this wouldn't work though, as the rom had to be expanded to fit the new script?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Didn't@Choppasmith say this wouldn't work though, as the rom had to be expanded to fit the new script?

Something like that SHOULD work actually. I just added a couple of more data banks. I was referring to methods of "patching" the cart wouldn't work because the amount of memory is set on a cart. This looks like you can make anything you want under 512 KB or 32 data banks.

Something like that SHOULD work actually. I just added a couple of more data banks. I was referring to methods of "patching" the cart wouldn't work because the amount of memory is set on a cart. This looks like you can make anything you want under 512 KB or 32 data banks.
In that case I'm definitely going to do this once we've made sure there aren't any more typos or bugs in the current release of DQ1.

15 hours ago, Sackchief said:

This has potential:

http://www.infiniteneslives.com/nesmaker.php

This is actually exactly what I was referring to.

Firstly, a thousand thanks to Choppasmith for doing the fandom a great service--the new localization is fantastic but it's trapped in a mediocre series of ports.

More specifically, could any kind soul please explain how to extract a .bin file? I assume that's where the script is stored in the game's files, and I want to add the transcript to the wiki (or at least the best quotes) along with having it on hand for fact checking. I'm completely illiterate when it comes to computers, so any help is greatly appreciated!

.bin isn't a standard, the extension is used for all sorts of files. It's just short for "binary". That said, someone made a plug-in for another program that can extract DQ Mobile .bins. ...If only I could remember the name of the program.

25 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

.bin isn't a standard, the extension is used for all sorts of files. It's just short for "binary". That said, someone made a plug-in for another program that can extract DQ Mobile .bins. ...If only I could remember the name of the program.

QuickBMS

https://aluigi.altervista.org/quickbms.htm

You can find the script on the same page. aluigi fixed the script so that it can auto-detect which DQ game you're extracting from (I think 3 is slightly different than 1 and 2)

3 hours ago, Burner said:

Firstly, a thousand thanks to Choppasmith for doing the fandom a great service--the new localization is fantastic but it's trapped in a mediocre series of ports.

More specifically, could any kind soul please explain how to extract a .bin file? I assume that's where the script is stored in the game's files, and I want to add the transcript to the wiki (or at least the best quotes) along with having it on hand for fact checking. I'm completely illiterate when it comes to computers, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Oh and you're very welcome. :) Still in the middle of script insertion for DW2 (it's kinda crazy how the particular rom works) but I should be clearing that hurdle soon hopefully.

Is anyone else bug testing DQ1 aside from me?

4 hours ago, Choppasmith said:

Oh and you're very welcome. :) Still in the middle of script insertion for DW2 (it's kinda crazy how the particular rom works) but I should be clearing that hurdle soon hopefully.

Phenomenal, looking forward to it! If I could find the .gif in decent quality I'd be posting Wayne and Gareth bowing before Alice Cooper--right now it's about the same level of gratitude!

Ok I've got quickBMS working, but when I try to use it on the dq file from the same site I get an error saying that it can't read 27296 bytes from offset 0000026b. It also says the last script line before the error is 19 getdstring NAME NAMEZ. This same error pops up when I try to run the event files through.

Does this sound familiar or is this just a rookie mistake?

18 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Is anyone else bug testing DQ1 aside from me?

I wish I had the time.  :( I'll definitely test out DWII and DWIII though when that gets started.  

How do you learn how to do this? I kinda would like to port the DQ V DS script to the SNES and PS2 versions of the game. I've extracted all the data from the DS rom, but I wouldn't know what to do with the .bin files in the SCRIPT folder. I'm willing to learn, even with my limited time.

14 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

How do you learn how to do this? I kinda would like to port the DQ V DS script to the SNES and PS2 versions of the game. I've extracted all the data from the DS rom, but I wouldn't know what to do with the .bin files in the SCRIPT folder. I'm willing to learn, even with my limited time.

I'd love to see Deborah modded into V PS2. Pretty sure that's the only content difference (besides updates to the knick-knackatory) between PS2 and DS. I wouldn't know how to begin, though.

• Like 1

I'd love to see Deborah modded into V PS2. Pretty sure that's the only content difference (besides updates to the knick-knackatory) between PS2 and DS. I wouldn't know how to begin, though.
That would likely take a lot of effort since it would require map editing, scripting, etc. Would definitely be cool though.

• Like 1

So does all of this work have to be done in a hex editor? I found the text data in a hex editor, but it seems like it would be incredibly tedious to copy all that data over to, say, the SNES version rom.

I figure that its painfully obvious that I have no clue about most of this. I've been reading GBATemp threads all morning but a lot of this is beyond me.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Just fiddling around and experimenting really and the occasional asking. I think romhacking.net would be a better resource than GBA temp. The bin file you have could be an archive with all the text, or it could be the text itself if you open it up with a text editor. Otherwise QuickBMS is the way to go.

7 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Yeah, that’d be an undertaking even for the most adept and experienced modder. Speaking of DQV PS2, if @Tom-Servo is reading this, I had made a comment on RHDN a while back saying I preferred official SE localizations and that while I enjoyed (REALLY enjoyed) playing DQV on PS2 as my first crack at DQV, that I didn’t care for the more literal translation in comparison to official DQ releases. If this came off like I was downplaying your hard work and efforts, I’m really REALLY sorry. I’ve dealt with a lot of “Sub-only” snobbery over the years, so I’m really quick to get testy over people scoffing at localizations.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

So does all of this work have to be done in a hex editor? I found the text data in a hex editor, but it seems like it would be incredibly tedious to copy all that data over to, say, the SNES version rom.

I figure that its painfully obvious that I have no clue about most of this. I've been reading GBATemp threads all morning but a lot of this is beyond me.

So the bin file you have is all the text then? For a lot of new games, the text is conveniently in a file with little to no compression of any kind. With older hardware like NES and SNES you need a special Hex editor like WindHex and you need to find the table that converts byte values to letters which can vary from game to game. I would say, check RHDN’s Wiki, Data Crystal, but there’s no entry for DQV, so you’d have to go throw a trial and error process of creating a table yourself.

On 3/11/2019 at 1:26 PM, Burner said:

Phenomenal, looking forward to it! If I could find the .gif in decent quality I'd be posting Wayne and Gareth bowing before Alice Cooper--right now it's about the same level of gratitude!

Ok I've got quickBMS working, but when I try to use it on the dq file from the same site I get an error saying that it can't read 27296 bytes from offset 0000026b. It also says the last script line before the error is 19 getdstring NAME NAMEZ. This same error pops up when I try to run the event files through.

Does this sound familiar or is this just a rookie mistake?

I’m late on this and I’m sorry, can’t say I know what’s causing your error, but if you want the scripts yourself, just download my rip

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4g2t87gf4smcmi5/dq123rip.7z/file

Anyway, thanks to @Burner for helping me out with some DW2 investigating. I needed to see how certain battle lines worked in game because they’re just in pieces in the ROM and wanted to make sure I knew what to change them to. There’s still a couple of lines that eluded us and COULD be just throwaway unused lines.

Roughly paraphrasing because I’m on vacation and away from my computer right now:

”Follow me and make not a peep.”

and

”No longer shall (name) walk this world!”

Anyone here happen to know? i figure if they’re unused (there’s a duplicate Prologue in compressed form I removed to free up space), I could just delete them and free up space and I NEED space. As it stands my script stands at about 34K. The original is about 17K, and the game supports scripts 32K in size. Technically there’s room for more, but the game is only programmed to use 2 16K banks and there’s no space to add to the bank swapping routine. Thankfully, after some AGGRESSIVE and meticulous dictionary editing, (DW2’s unique form of compression) I was able to get it down to just .2K (200 bytes) over the limit, and from there, I just trimmed the fat a little. Removed gratuitous pauses in NPC dialog or some of the longer “HAHAHAHAHAHA!” lines I removed a couple HAs. I’m hoping the SNES remakes don’t have this problem and they could be the proper “definitive” versions.

Edited by Choppasmith

Posted (edited)

Sorry to keep you guys waiting, but I have a beta for Dragon Warrior Quest 2 😛 It's rough and it's only script, monsters, and items right now. But if you're eager to try it out, I appreciate knowing any problems you guys might find.

I had to redo the dictionary DW2 uses for compression over and over and OVER again to get things to fit, and FINALLY got it! Like the first game, the new script is about double the size! I also have a bunch of time freed up for me recently. Also thanks to abw on the more technical side of things.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tfh668w56h02d9p/DW21b.xdelta/file

Edited by Choppasmith

Hi @Choppasmith and thanks for the amazing work! I registrered on this site because I was thinkering with the 3ds version of DQ1-2-3 released in Japan and turns out that even them have retro1_res.dat, retro2_res.dat etc inside. So with the help of the amazing tool quickbms I have extracted everything, but now my problem is how to locate the japanese script? It's even funnier for DQ3 because it is already with some script localizated in english ( in another .dat present in the ROMFS of the .cia, ala DQ4 for the ds, who remember that?). As you know the android release of the triology comes with the english, korean, traditional and simplified chinese script but not on the 3ds, this version comes only with the japanese scripts(except for DQ3,but as you know, its "different"). Do you think that is possible to swap the japanese one of the 3ds with the english one of android?

Edited by guerrierodragone
editing?
  • Like 1