Sign in to follow this  
muddy120

What do you guys think of this typical generic critique/rant on Dragon Quest XI's music?

Nothing new here I just wanted to post it and get  your thoughts on the video. The comments people are giving alot of hate on inaccuracies and off topic political comment on Sugiyama's views or just typical roasting on the music that you typically see with DQ XI over here as usual, some people agree some people don't what do you guys think of it.

Edited by muddy120

I’m tired of hearing about people complain about the music.

I think it's the same unsourced speculation that has been flying around since the 3DS games didn't get orchestra.  Everything in this video seems to be sourced from uninformed forum posts.  In fact, looking at their video history, they seem to just post on whatever is being hated on at the moment (I assume for getting views).

The only thing this video sources is Sugiyama's discussion of MIDI on his webpage, but nothing there supports her claims of him keeping orchestra out of the games for greed.  She's just repeating internet speculation.  Even her discussion on who the successor should be is from forum conversations that I have seen.

The thing is, we just simply don't know why they decided to use synth music in 11.  In a series that loves its roots of old menus and old sound effects, I find it hard to believe that Sugiyama's supposed megalomania is the main reason.

And, yes, he has extreme political views, but nowhere does that seem to inform his music policy.

Wait a sec... A DQ game with musics made by the one who composed the soundtrack of FFXII, Tactics, Ogre Battle and so on? SIGN ME UP BY THE GODS! His soundtracks are some of the most beautiful I've ever heard, alongside the likes of NieR and Automata's ost. 

39 minutes ago, Xiggy said:

made by the one who composed the soundtrack of FFXII, Tactics, Ogre Battle and so on? 

Not quite.  He was a contributing composer on FF12 and the Ogre Battle series.  But those games are mainly the work of Hitoshi Sakimoto and his friend Iwata.  Matsuo contributed a few tracks, but not many.  His biggest contribution to that group is probably Ogre Battle 64 where he did about a third of the songs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m tired of hearing about people complain about the music.

27 minutes ago, Bururian said:

I'm really tired of hearing people complain about the music.

You guys should have thought of that before releasing a game with such a horribly rendered soundtrack. You are the ones behind it, right?

To be honest, after I decided to set the volume setting for music a bit (a lot) down and getting more accustomed to it, it started bothering me less.
It's kind of a weird compromise to have to take though. Criticism is completely well deserved.

Edited by Sumez

I’ll just mark this one under “all publicity it good publicity.”

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

Absolutely. I don't think it's gonna keep anyone from buying the game.

I'm tired of people complaining about other people being upset with the music in Dragon Quest XI. It's a genuine complaint. Whatever Sugiyama's reasoning behind it is, the fact remains that the music quality is BAD. Square Enix needs to know that consumers don't appreciate this. Maybe it won't change anything... But I can guarantee nothing will change if we don't try to make them aware of the issue.

• Like 1

I actually thought the music was fine for the most part.  I only really hated maybe one of the original tracks and the Overworld Theme did get a little irritating at a certain point but it's not really a bad song, it just wasn't one I wanted to listen to 800 times over.  The rest of the original music sounded very Dragon Questy to me.

Edited by Shadownite

I quit listening to this #$*! when she started whining about 11's exclusive music.  

MIDI or not its just as good as any of the games.  

11 was a culmination of 1 thru 10, which is why all those logos are shown in the game.  The music sounds like a throwback in a way, too.

7 hours ago, mazoboom said:

Not quite.  He was a contributing composer on FF12 and the Ogre Battle series.  But those games are mainly the work of Hitoshi Sakimoto and his friend Iwata.  Matsuo contributed a few tracks, but not many.  His biggest contribution to that group is probably Ogre Battle 64 where he did about a third of the songs.

Ah, right. I knew something was off about my sentence haha. Well then, I'd still be up for a DQ with musics made by Sakimoto!

Dragon Quest VI SNES's soundtrack was arranged by Hitoshi Sakimoto.