Sign in to follow this  
AustNerevar

DQXI True Ending Questions (Post-Game Spoilers)

Spoiler

So I just finished the post-game and it's left me with a few questions. What exactly did the Yggdragon mean when she called the Hero Erdrick. This whole time I thought Erdwin was just an alternate universe version of Erdrick, but it seems like he's a proto-Erdrick that came way before? Is Erdrick/Erdwin just a cycle that repeats with Hero being sandwiched in the middle? Or was the final cutscene that showed Erdrick's mother closing a book meaning to say that XI was just some grand fairy tale in the world of DQIII?

Also, how did Calasmos become the little darkling guy? I get that Morcant stole some of his power and the Serenica sealed what was left away and shot it up into space, but it never actually showed how Calasmos became the darkling.

And while we're on the subject, what are all the little white time spirit guys doing anyway? We don't really get much info on what they are except that they relate to the Timekeeper (who is really Serenica), but there's never any explanation as to why they are scattered all across Erdrea, what their role is, and what exactly it is they are doing.

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
  Hide contents

So I just finished the post-game and it's left me with a few questions. What exactly did the Yggdragon mean when she called the Hero Erdrick. This whole time I thought Erdwin was just an alternate universe version of Erdrick, but it seems like he's a proto-Erdrick that came way before? Is Erdrick/Erdwin just a cycle that repeats with Hero being sandwiched in the middle? Or was the final cutscene that showed Erdrick's mother closing a book meaning to say that XI was just some grand fairy tale in the world of DQIII?

Also, how did Calasmos become the little darkling guy? I get that Morcant stole some of his power and the Serenica sealed what was left away and shot it up into space, but it never actually showed how Calasmos became the darkling.

And while we're on the subject, what are all the little white time spirit guys doing anyway? We don't really get much info on what they are except that they relate to the Timekeeper (who is really Serenica), but there's never any explanation as to why they are scattered all across Erdrea, what their role is, and what exactly it is they are doing.

Spoiler

Point one: I'm not really sure on.

Point two: Just a theory but when Serenica was sealing Calasmos away maybe he split a part of himself off so that at some point in the future he could reclaim his sealed away powers.

Point three: One of the watchers states that their job is preserving time. 

Spoiler

Erdrick is a title given to amazing heroes.  Eleven earns his title through his actions, in the same way that Three earned his through his actions.  The birthname of the hero of Dragon Warrior 3 is not Erdrick.

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, ethanej said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Point one: I'm not really sure on.

Point two: Just a theory but when Serenica was sealing Calasmos away maybe he split a part of himself off so that at some point in the future he could reclaim his sealed away powers.

Point three: One of the watchers states that their job is preserving time. 

I must have forgotten that part about the Watchers. I still wish they'd given us something concrete about Calasmos though.

33 minutes ago, mazoboom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Erdrick is a title given to amazing heroes.  Eleven earns his title through his actions, in the same way that Three earned his through his actions.  The birthname of the hero of Dragon Warrior 3 is not Erdrick.

Yes I realize that its a title in DQ 3 when you save Alefgard. However we don't know about its relation to the lore of 11. Also it looks like 11 is an ancient prequel to 3.

I just got the true ending about an hour ago, and my question is this... does the timeline you left your buddies behind change? You know, Hendrik is like "Hey look Arboria is no longer destroyed!"

I always thought that the whole "this has happened before" fusing of timelines is a plot device used to avoid reprogramming every treasure chest. Also, since Serenica went back to the past in the past (or something like that), do the 2 times you have lived in have any reversion? "Wow, that Calasmos was a rough bastard for someone that was defeated before we were born"

I think it works the same way that Trunks travelling back to stop the Androids worked in Dragon Ball. It creates a new timeline. So the party members from the Act 2 timeline are rebuilding their world without the Hero.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
  Hide contents

Yes I realize that its a title in DQ 3 when you save Alefgard. However we don't know about its relation to the lore of 11. Also it looks like 11 is an ancient prequel to 3.

Ah, sorry, I misinterpreted your question.  Yes, I believe it is an ancient prequel, and this is where the title originated and gets handed down through the legend books before 3 also gets it later.

As for jts relationship to the lore, it may be interesting to note that the world name Erdrea is Lotozetasia in Japanese.  So it appears to have some connection with the world.  As for Erdwin (Loshu in Japanese), I don't know if his name is supposed to represent that he could only get the job halfway done.

Edited by mazoboom

Spoiler

A common theory is that the timeline the hero leaves becomes the Zenith Timeline. In this one there's no Erdwin/Eleven descendant (aka no DQIII hero). Plus, remember the sword the hero broke when he smashed the time orb to time travel? The end of the sword (which is left behind), looks a lot like the end of the Ramia's Sword from VI, which is an anterior version of the Zenith Sword from IV and V. Some would even say that Eric is an ancestor of Reck/Botsu, the hero of VI, due to the hair ressemblence. 

The timeline in which Eleven saves Veronica would then becomes the Roto Timeline, with DQIII becoming a distant futur, followed by the manga Emblem of Roto, then Those who Inherit the Emblem, then DQI/Kenshin, and then DQII and/or DQ Builders (and much much later DQVII. Or that's what the manga version of VII says anyway :P)

Which only leaves the new timeline made by Serenica when she time travel, whose history is unknown, but open for even more theories! 

Edited by Xiggy
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I think it works the same way that Trunks travelling back to stop the Androids worked in Dragon Ball. It creates a new timeline. So the party members from the Act 2 timeline are rebuilding their world without the Hero.

I think it's supposed to be implied that the timelines merge in some way based on party members frequently saying things along the line of "I feel like this has happened before."  Exactly what and how they merge is the real question, and one that I don't think can be explained fully.

Spoiler

Thats interesting. Its possible.

I do like the split timeline that someone mentioned earlier. So essentially that theory would look like this:

Untitled.png

Edited by AustNerevar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
  Hide contents

Thats interesting. like!! possible.

I do like the split timeline that someone mentioned earlier. So essentially that theory would look like this:

Untitled.png

Yup, that's what I think it looks like! From there, putting the monsters and Torneko's game is pretty easy too. 

And as I mentioned, I do believe that DQVII is a distant future of DQII. Should you have the occasion, I totally recommend reading the manga adaptation of DQVII, in which we see the Prince of Midenhall taking to the sky in a balloon to visit the upper-world (DQIII/XI world), before witnessing its "destruction", which follows by volcanic eruptions, floods, and other things, before starting to resemble DQVII world map. Here's a sample from Volume 11 (should this not be authorized, I'll remove it pronto!) 

Dqe11_087 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_088 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_089 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_090 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_091 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_092 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_093 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Dqe11_094 - 『ss-zip.com』 - .jpg

Yup, that's what I think it looks like! From there, putting the monsters and Torneko's game is pretty easy too. 
And as I mentioned, I do believe that DQVII is a distant future of DQII. Should you have the occasion, I totally recommend reading the manga adaptation of DQVII, in which we see the Prince of Midenhall taking to the sky in a balloon to visit the upper-world (DQIII/XI world), before witnessing its "destruction", which follows by volcanic eruptions, floods, and other things, before starting to resemble DQVII world map. Here's a sample from Volume 11 (should this not be authorized, I'll remove it pronto!) 

1075964216_Dqe11_087-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.45fd85278bf4ce99ebd5e4a56e08877c.jpg
426550072_Dqe11_088-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.ebbb6f1609ffb3dba4bd34490811e9c5.jpg
1348518762_Dqe11_089-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.30732561fffb45797a7861c0a77192c5.jpg
151773476_Dqe11_090-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.8dd325da242425ca8553cb4e7e0100f3.jpg
1341209873_Dqe11_091-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.09b5fcdadbad9a75029988d831ef83c4.jpg
1383532007_Dqe11_092-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.e83fbfe092db3042ae1b272d0103a4b0.jpg
773980233_Dqe11_093-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.18b2a1d5a534cf6063dedd11faa5772e.jpg
188200693_Dqe11_094-ss-zip.com-.thumb.jpg.bf1c576b1c5a5efb36f67b5715345bbf.jpg
Thats really cool. I had no idea that the manga had any connecting theories like that. I really wish all of the manga had an official translation.

I had my own little question although I probably missed something obvious.  Why does Calasmos constantly slap Mordegon away from the sword?  Is this because he came along for the ride with the Luminary and knew Mordegon would end up killing the star?  Is that what Mordegon meant by '"You're not the only one who altered time"?

I had my own little question although I probably missed something obvious.  Why does Calasmos constantly slap Mordegon away from the sword?  Is this because he came along for the ride with the Luminary and knew Mordegon would end up killing the star?  Is that what Mordegon meant by '"You're not the only one who altered time"?
That's the way I took it. He wasn't trying to save Hero, he was just trying to prevent Mordegon from becoming all powerful.

6 hours ago, AustNerevar said:
7 hours ago, Xiggy said:

Yeah, we may have yet some hope of seeing other Mangas translated in the futur though. Spanish editors have announced that they would translate DQVI Manga along with DQM+ and the Item (or Monster) story book, which is great! 

17701fd4a0dc334d8dcca08bbe2a4120.png

368ccdf1e4264927da713e2fb82deca1.png

Look at that attention to detail. They basically pulled the same dialogue from the iOS port.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, Shadownite said:

I think it's supposed to be implied that the timelines merge in some way based on party members frequently saying things along the line of "I feel like this has happened before."  Exactly what and how they merge is the real question, and one that I don't think can be explained fully.

It is absolutely implied that they are merged.

If for no other reason that having left the other timeline behind makes the second one a bit of a pointless, pyrrhic victory. Never mind the in-game logic - for narrative purposes, the old timeline would have to disappear. The timekeeper does also hint pretty strongly at that, though, right before Hero smashes the timeyball.

So now that I’ve completely finished DQ11....

Any one else notice that the section of the bookshelf the mom places the DQ11 book has 10 other books on the shelf?

CA3C50A9-0A7B-4719-84DC-F0581748FA32.thumb.jpeg.1b751f3a591dc15035a9262fa3d7a74d.jpeg

Thought that was a nice touch. 11 books for 11 main line DQ games.

.... why does she place it in the fifth spot though? Also, the similarly designed book to its immediate left makes it look like it's a part two of a smaller series of its own.

Theories, go!

.... why does she place it in the fifth spot though? Also, the similarly designed book to its immediate left makes it look like it's a part two of a smaller series of its own.

Theories, go!

Dragon Quest III and Dragon Quest XI are taking place at the same time period in two different timelines. Decided to write everything up for fun.

Timeline 1: Morcant killed Erdwin and Calasmos lived. This gave rise to the Luminary in XI, Erdwin's reincarnation.

Timeline 2: Serenica goes back in time to be with Erdwin. Together they defeat Calasmos in the far past, and there is no Mordegon (presumably) because the pair either stop Morcant or he is unable to take power from Calasmos. The Luminary of XI is never born, instead Erdwin is reincarnated in Erdrick. Yggdragon eventually turns evil (as she said might happen in the ending cutscenes) and becomes the Dragonlord.

Bonus Timeline 3: This one is just for funsies. So when the Luminary goes back in time to change the past and save Veronica, he actually creates a branched timeline instead of changing the one he's from (a la Trunks in DBZ). That original timeline is now missing the Luminary, so he can't be reincarnated. Eternities pass, one of the descendents of Erik becomes known as The Legendary Hero. Yggradgon builds a castle and changes her name to the Zenith Dragon.

I just assume the game is a prequel to the Erdrick trilogy, far earlier than DQ3. Kind of like how they made DQ6 the very far off precursor to DQ4 and 5.

I don’t completely agree with the theory. I think it’s very clear that DQI takes place after the true ending. I’m thinking there’s three timelines. One with no Luminary and a post apocalyptic world. One with two Luminaries that defeat Calasmos together and prevent DQXI’s events from happening. And the true ending which leads to the Erdrick trilogy. I can do a write up later.

• Like 1

The theory stuff was intended as a joke. :P Obviously DQXI is intended to be the precursor to the entire DQ saga. A split timeline would defeat the entire narrative of the game.

image.png

Anyone else let down by how little these guys seemed to play a part in the story?