Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

Slowdown

Not quite a bug... but I'm getting rather long load times for the Den the past couple days. Usually each page loads near-instantaneously on my desktop, but I'm getting 30-45 second wait times now. It's not a huge deal, but it's odd. No other site or service seems to be affected. Maybe the Den is more active now? But I haven't seen any more activity than usual. (Granted, I tend to lurk in specific boards and threads.)

@Erdrick The Hero Is it always the same times?

It happens throughout the day, I haven't pinned down any particular time. It's been near-constant though from what I can tell. Coincidentally, this page loaded fine when I came to check for a reply.

Yeah, seems zippy enough when I am hitting it. I'm going to blame it on the government and the roll-back of net neutrality ;)

Seems there are 2+ pages of guests, I guess I could start requiring people to register to be able to read topics.

Edited by Woodus

33 minutes ago, Woodus said:

Yeah, seems zippy enough when I am hitting it. I'm going to blame it on the government and the roll-back of net neutrality ;)

Thanks, Obama.

I wonder if the traffic is new Questers coming to the Den thanks to DQ XI?

That very well could be :)

Speed issue seems to have gone away now, but I've had a couple pages fail to load. (Refresh fixes them.)

Forgot which pages... Sorry.

OK, keep me posted, I know I get warnings from my host every now an then because I am "using too many resources" but until it becomes a steady occurrence I don't think I am going to pay for an upgrade at this point.

Just today I've started noticing things being a little slower. I first came on in the evening to check things. I'll try and note if it is random or if I can pinpoint a more specific time of day.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:09 PM, Woodus said:

Seems there are 2+ pages of guests, I guess I could start requiring people to register to be able to read topics.

Do you actually intend on doing this? I feel it would hurt the community more than a bit of load time. We're either the only or most visible large, open community of Dragon Quest fans outside Japan, and alongside Square Enix's (improving, but still) lackluster advertising, any loss in visibility to the Den could mean a loss in visibility to the series. And less sales = less localization.

38 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Do you actually intend on doing this?

No probably not, I would probably spend the extra money per year to move to a virtual private host scenario (instead of shared hosting as it is now). Basically would be my own virtual server, problem there is that I am (as the site sits now) at the space limit for the tier of virtual host I would move to.

Do you actually intend on doing this? I feel it would hurt the community more than a bit of load time. We're either the only or most visible large, open community of Dragon Quest fans outside Japan, and alongside Square Enix's (improving, but still) lackluster advertising, any loss in visibility to the Den could mean a loss in visibility to the series. And less sales = less localization.
Yeah I agree. I probably wouldn't be here had I not been able to lurk for about a year before registering.

On 10/15/2018 at 11:09 AM, Woodus said:

No probably not, I would probably spend the extra money per year to move to a virtual private host scenario (instead of shared hosting as it is now). Basically would be my own virtual server, problem there is that I am (as the site sits now) at the space limit for the tier of virtual host I would move to.

Yeah, I don't think it's quite necessary to do the upgrade just yet, things seem to have cleared up on my end, at least.

Assuming you'll have to upgrade eventually though, as the site gets bigger... Any possible workarounds to the space issue? Is it just the forums themselves hitting the space limit, or the site as a whole, including the main site and anything else at Woodus.com? (I just noticed Woodus' Themes is gone! I bet none of them worked on modern computers, though?)

If things are OK for the moment I will just let it ride, as far as the space issue, I can bump to the next tier, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have too. I could move some of the videos and stuff to Youtube if I had to and remove them from here (but youtube is getting more picky with that stuff).

It seems to me that it's generally slower during the evening than it is during the morning and early afternoon.

13 hours ago, Democrobot said:

generally slower during the evening

My internet at home is generally slower at night, is it just here or everywhere?

13 hours ago, Woodus said:

My internet at home is generally slower at night, is it just here or everywhere?

It's most notable here

I noticed things are a bit sluggish just now and checked the online users and 59 of the 70 users are from the same IP address, seems a bit strange

I am most of this forum. I just create different personalities for each account.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I am most of this forum. I just create different personalities for each account.

And I am your greatest creation.

2 hours ago, eal said:

And I am your greatest creation.

:thumbsup:

On 10/22/2018 at 1:48 PM, Woodus said:

I noticed things are a bit sluggish just now and checked the online users and 59 of the 70 users are from the same IP address, seems a bit strange

I can think of a legitimate reason for that, but only one (and it's unlikely): a bunch of DQX players on the same free VPN, accessing the den from that connection.

Wishful thinking ;), I'm wondering if it is the site that keeps getting bot users on here