37 minutes ago, Liamland said:

Yeah, sadly this affected DQIX from my collection. If they end up making a mobile port of it I hope they fix this broken part of the game.

I know a guy who can modify the DQ IX save file to add the lost online content. ;););););)

And to that Stuner guy, no one is trying to "sell you" anything. Just trying to give you reasons to stop trying to tell others their ideas are terrible and that entire continents should only do what you allow.

Not that any of us has any real say in this, but it can be really annoying to read such negative comments when framed that way.

One can simply say "I would prefer this or that and I would find an offline version to be very boring" instead of "That's sounds a terrible idea. Then just let American and Europan players play DQX without VPN. Not need to make some boring offline DQX.

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dunno if anyone’s made this point but some day, probably several decades from now, but some day nonetheless, the servers for X will go down. And then as far as I’m aware that game will be basically

This is also my experience. However, it doesn't change my own stance that I prefer playing games without having to deal with people I don't know well.  

Someone call the French and have them convince Yuji Horii to have this idea happen.

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

Yeah, sadly this affected DQIX from my collection. If they end up making a mobile port of it I hope they fix this broken part of the game.

Imagine being a trophy/achievement collector who wasn’t fast enough to get all the online trophies before a game shut down. You can’t even delete trophy collections so you’ll always have an incomplete set.

• 3 weeks later...

Online gaming is just... well, not for me... People are awful, why would I want them affecting my game and paying extra monthly fees for that "privilege"?

Bring on an offline version, please, so we aren't yet again stuck waiting decades long times for numbered entries in the series until they decide to do remakes on some other system in the year 2043.

• Like 1

DQ X's community is a far cry from the wild west of Ultima Online.

In terms of having to deal with other people in a game, I agree, and that’s why I don’t play them. I don’t like the idea of relying on other people I don’t know.

However, if there was ever an online game I’d play it would be DQ X because I can play it with people I’m more familiar with, the people on this forum, rather  than total strangers. Of course, my Internet where I am is basically non-existent (it sometimes just disappears entirely for whole days), so that’s no longer gonna happen. But the sentiment is there!

6 hours ago, tbb033 said:

Online gaming is just... well, not for me... People are awful, why would I want them affecting my game and paying extra monthly fees for that "privilege"?

Bring on an offline version, please, so we aren't yet again stuck waiting decades long times for numbered entries in the series until they decide to do remakes on some other system in the year 2043.

6 hours ago, Dwaine said:

DQ X's community is a far cry from the wild west of Ultima Online.

1 hour ago, eal said:

In terms of having to deal with other people in a game, I agree, and that’s why I don’t play them. I don’t like the idea of relying on other people I don’t know.

However, if there was ever an online game I’d play it would be DQ X because I can play it with people I’m more familiar with, the people on this forum, rather  than total strangers. Of course, my Internet where I am is basically non-existent (it sometimes just disappears entirely for whole days), so that’s no longer gonna happen. But the sentiment is there!

Having played a lot of MMO's, about 30 of them, and having the equivalent of around 8~9 years of combined experience (you get a lot of gaming in when you're getting about 0~4 hours of sleep every night for nearly 20 years straight), the perception of bad behaviour isn't as warranted as the genre seems to engender.

Even back in the days of UO, Everquest, Asheron's Call, and Phantasy Star Online.

There're are far more good players, or players who just enjoy the game and just want to play than total asshats.  Most of those guys tend to join guilds who are geared towards domination to gain access to better gear with less effort, as those guilds often form raid parties at least every 10 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size, time slots, and activity level.

Back in the days of UO and PSO though, there were far more exploits some people would pick up on, and use against other players.  However it was usually a bare handful of jerks that went around using said exploits to destroy other players.  I should add Diablo 2 into this, as the same sort of dickish moves were present at that time.  Then there were the Starcraft exploiters, who would find ways to run preset events as normal maps by tricking the servers.  You'd get a Zerg + Hydrolisk storm in the 30~40 count within 5~10 minutes, after your second or third batch of units were just fielded, so you've got this set of 5, maybe 20 total if you were fast enough, of base models versus fully upgraded base models and the second tier mobs usually with range (Zerg/Protoss...Terrans already had range).

Anyway, my experience and being in quite a few guilds, and even starting and maintaining my own several times (or being second in command...which happened a lot), most players really are decent human beings, and you can usually find good people who are fairly genuine, or laid back fairly quickly.

My PSO days, I had a group of several circles of friends, two of whom I always played with, and a rotation of like 12 other people, two of which were more commonly online than the others.  Though you could only go into any map with a max group count of 4.

WOW, tons of guilds, even really serious PVP guilds, and those players are generally cool.  You always get your bad apple or two, or people who are generally pushy, but even amongst competitive guilds, most leaders if they're halfway decent to good people, will kick them immediately even if they're good players.  Guild drama always did trump player skill.  Save a handful of guilds, where they would just convince everyone not to care about said person, but "we need" him or her (yes, her though usually him for sure), to handle Guild vs Guild or one side versus the other (Alliance vs Horde for example) or PvP parties, or Raid dungeons.  Usually though they would be removed site unseen, skill be damned as there's always someone who has it that may join in their stead.  Or you can learn to train players to develop skills.  Though in WoW and a lot of other MMO's it's about macro programs, so skill is almost entirely unimportant, which is sad but given time management it's probably for the best.

Anyway, that said though Eal...yes, it is a lot easier and probably more comforting joining a guild with known entities.  I can definitely see that, even though for me it's fairly uncommon.  My friends usually spread between various games, and all demanded my presence.  Even in WoW it was a split of 4 servers at one point, and other MMO's for other friends.  So it always ended up being myself and either one, or up to five other players.  Though one group of guys I made friends with in Ragnarok Online, we stuck together as a unit for like 6 years, that was rather fun.  Another group of friends it was 2 years, but I had to leave, and they broke up shortly after, which is sad, but then their lives picked up due to work so it likely was bound to happen anyhow.

On 10/28/2018 at 6:15 PM, ignasia said:

...you get a lot of gaming in when you're getting about 0~4 hours of sleep every night for nearly 20 years straight....

I had the opposite experience growing up; I was always losing sleep because I wouldn't stop gaming.

I've never personally really played guilds; my serious MMO gaming is limited pretty much exclusively to Maple Story, which has them, but usually for special missions. I joined one once I think, over a decade ago, but haven't been part of it in, well, a decade. Mostly I played solo, just leveling up my character (I hit the final healer class, Bishop, a few years ago, and put it down). I generally did pretty well in group quests, since healers are fairly in demand.

• Like 1
On 10/29/2018 at 2:15 AM, ignasia said:

Anyway, my experience and being in quite a few guilds, and even starting and maintaining my own several times (or being second in command...which happened a lot), most players really are decent human beings, and you can usually find good people who are fairly genuine, or laid back fairly quickly.

This is also my experience.

However, it doesn't change my own stance that I prefer playing games without having to deal with people I don't know well. :P 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Sumez said:

However, it doesn't change my own stance that I prefer playing games without having to deal with people I don't know well. :P 

I did pretty much make the same point.  I agree it's more fun to go in knowing, the whole purpose of my post was to alleviate fears that online communities in MMO's are like FPS online communities (you can still find a lot of decent people there, but the level of vitriol and needless abuse going beyond just trash talk, like hacking all the way up through fake bombs in the mail and messages indicating where your kids go to school and something could happen because you beat someone in an FPS match #$*!ing up their ladder because they can't handle losing)...or Fighting game communities, where you can get hate mail for winning a match or for losing it (people telling you to just die because you couldn't beat someone in a videogame...).

So yes, I agree, it is definitely better if you can start in a group.  Why I talked about my friends.  It's frustrating when they're all split between different games and different groups, and usually different servers within the same game, and nary shall they meet as they're always established and just want me to join them, lol and each only them or their group.  I guess in this sense this unit would be easier to manage as I'd likely just join the general Dragon's Den group.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Sumez said:

It's really easy to play Dragon Quest X as a single-player game: just don't interact with other players. Absolutely zero player-player interaction is required (* there may or may not be quests requiring you do things with other players; I don't remember any, but have been away from the game for a while. But the story is totally playable on your own). If you want a full party without playing with others, you can hire other characters as NPCs (these are player-characters, but their players are offline so you control them with the traditional AI Tactics of other DQ games. Unfortunately due to the real-time battle system you can only directly control your own character, though). You need not interact with these people directly to hire them, they just set their character as hire-able and you can pick from a ton of random offline characters. You can, of course, choose those specifically from your Team (guild) or friends list, but it's not required.

I'd buy it either way but would not really play the online game. US only but https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/279661-us-grants-copyright-exception-to-archive-abandoned-online-games

• Like 1