Sign in to follow this  
Sackchief

*Rumor* A group is secretly working on a DQXI 3DS translation

I saw it mentioned in this thread over on GBAtemp.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-realistic-is-a-full-translation-patch-for-dragon-quest-xi-using-the-ps4-script.517169/page-3

A user is apparently in talks with a group doing this secretly under the radar so they don't get a C&D from Square Enix, which I think is a very good idea.  Supposedly a good chunk of the intro is translated, but I imagine it will take at least a year for this project to be done and public.

It’s not so secret anymore, eh? 😜

• Like 3

Just now, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s not so secret anymore, eh? 😜

As long as their identities aren't known, they can't get a C&D letter. 

Image result for roll safe

MY BODY IS READY

• Like 2

How is it a rumor if they're doing it?

MY BODY IS READY
So is my Citra.

I NEED IT I NEED IT NOW

How is it a rumor if they're doing it?
So is my Citra.

It’s a rumor because only one user there claims it. He’s not actually part of the project, just a playtester. He could be lying, hope not though.
  • Like 1

The first rule when it comes to things like this is to not talk about them until they’re out. Square Enix in particular are legendary for canceling fan efforts.

Takes the fans to translate the 3DS games once again. Why Square Enix didn’t show more support for the 3DS in the west over the years still baffles me. Not just for Dragon Quest either. They (Square Enix) only self published 4 games for the 3DS in the US.

Guess we’ll see how much they really care about the 3DS version getting a fan translation. They’ve done nothing about Terry’s Wonderland or Joker 3’s fan translations (as far as I know), so if they suddenly strike out against DQ11 3DS when/if the project finishes...

It’s a rumor because only one user there claims it. He’s not actually part of the project, just a playtester. He could be lying, hope not though.
Like I always say, posting before I click, makes me look like a dick.
The first rule when it comes to things like this is to not talk about them until they’re out. Square Enix in particular are legendary for canceling fan efforts.
Recently, not so true. 3DS DQ games for example. Monster games? They don't care because they're not going to do them. DQ7, didn't care until right before they decided/announced they'd do it. Shall be interesting to see what happens.
  • Like 1

From what I can tell, it doesn't look like they're just ripping the official translation from the Steam version and injecting it into the 3DS one.  The guy in the thread says, for example, that they're calling Gemma "Emma" instead in this one.  I'm not so keen on that tbh, would rather they just dump the official translation and names.

• Like 1

Well that's pretty dumb tbh. Not only would ripping save a lot of time but that's the canon script for DQ11 in English. I don't want to play the game with the translators artistic liberty injected into it.

• Like 1

They could be doing that to avoid any issues. I don’t know what, but it’s not like it’s preventing you from still calling her Gemma. Hell I still call Murdaw and Mortamor Muduo and Deathmore respectively whenever I see there new translation names pop up.

They could be doing that to avoid any issues. I don’t know what, but it’s not like it’s preventing you from still calling her Gemma. Hell I still call Murdaw and Mortamor Muduo and Deathmore respectively whenever I see there new translation names pop up.
That's quite a bit different because those were previous translations done without the knowledge of what the English localization team would have done. In this case, not only do we know the proper names, but we also have an incredibly easy way to obtain the script through the PC version.
  • Like 1

The thing about a translation vs a localization is that a localization is usually well written while a translation is usually very dry and devoid of any kind of emotion in the writing.  Plus it could be inaccurate.  I will still never forget how in the SNES translation for DQIII, the guard in the Mini Medal King's lair is his "husband" while in the official translation he just guards him as if he was a king.  There's really nothing wrong with using the official translation and I'd much rather have that than whatever the translators are going to come up with. 

From what I can tell, it doesn't look like they're just ripping the official translation from the Steam version and injecting it into the 3DS one.  The guy in the thread says, for example, that they're calling Gemma "Emma" instead in this one.  I'm not so keen on that tbh, would rather they just dump the official translation and names.
NPC = No Personal Caring on my part. They could name her Maribel for all I care.

1 hour ago, Sackchief said:

That's probably to get around a C&D if true, as if they use SE's own translation, well, that is copyright to Square-Enix.  They would probably look the other way after the 3DS goes the way of the doodoo bird, but until that point it would be a very big deal.

This is interesting.  I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be true.  I'm guessing the one person speaking was greenlit to speak given there is a lot of underground intrigue and desire from quite a few players.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Well that's pretty dumb tbh. Not only would ripping save a lot of time but that's the canon script for DQ11 in English. I don't want to play the game with the translators artistic liberty injected into it.

My guess is they probably want to release it earlier than the likely period of time when SE would throw a hissy fit over their own paid for work being used when they're still printing copies of DQ11 on the PS4 and Switch.  So not really.  It would make things a lot more confusing as well for FAQ writers like myself (especially rewriting the entire enemy list...I'm only 1/4 done with my monster FAQ, and christ it's a lot of work).

It's also possible they see this as too risky to rip and release that one due to how SE sometimes treats releases.

Edited by ignasia

On 10/7/2018 at 2:40 PM, eal said:

Err...no Eal.  That's not true at all.  Nintendo yes.  SE has only gone after scripts for games they actually plan to release, and tend to actually release.  Most of their game scripts are up, unchallenged, and untouched.  Of all companies with translation projects, SE has the largest number of those and hacks in terms of overall counts for any one company.  Those are very public and completely untouched.

SE has gone after fan projects like the Chrono remake for obvious reasons (DS version was being released around the same time they C&Ded).  They've gone after fan expansions for certain older games (not all).  They haven't touched either of the VERY public mods for DQ11 PC.

It's more anything that could get in the way of actual sales of an actual release.

They didn't do diddly about either of the Monsters remakes, and while those are hosted on their respective group sites, rather than on major translation organization groups, it's still up and unchallenged.  They only challenged DQ7, and again, it had to do with releasing the game.

Edited by ignasia

18 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Err...no Eal.  That's not true at all.  Nintendo yes.  SE has only gone after scripts for games they actually plan to release, and tend to actually release.  Most of their game scripts are up, unchallenged, and untouched.  Of all companies with translation projects, SE has the largest number of those and hacks in terms of overall counts for any one company.  Those are very pubic and completely untouched.

SE has gone after fan projects like the Chrono remake for obvious reasons (DS version was being released around the same time they C&Ded).  They've gone after fan expansions for certain older games (not all).  They haven't touched either of the VERY public mods for DQ11 PC.

It's more anything that could get in the way of actual sales of an actual release.

They didn't do diddly about either of the Monsters remakes, and while those are hosted on their respective group sites, rather than on major translation organization groups, it's still up and unchallenged.  They only challenged DQ7, and again, it had to do with releasing the game.

That’s why I broadly referred to “fan efforts.” I personally don’t have much faith that the 3DS version is going to happen, but you never know.

9 hours ago, ignasia said:

Those are very pubic and completely untouched.

:bored:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sumez said:

:bored:

Ok.  You were hoping there'd be more excitement, like SE is left and right banishing groups, suing and C&Ding all over the place, forcing hackers to hide their works underground for 20 year old releases lest they feel the wrath of Sauron's greatest death knights, the Nazgul,  Squenix's legal team

No I just thought your typo was funny :)

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

No I just thought your typo was funny :)

...OMG, I see it now.  I'd pull a Bart Simpson and say "no one saw me do it, can't prove anything," but the evidence is in two responses...darn!  LOL, thanks man, that is pretty funny.

Edited by ignasia

Sadly it looks like the fan translation is likely fake news.

Regardless of plausibility, (which now I have my doubts), the source in the linked thread claimed to have received c&d from Square Enix and halted the project.  Suspiciously this claim came quickly after users pointed out suspicious details about the translation screenies.

I personally find the claim suspicious because history suggests it's extremely rare that Square Enix pays any attention to DQ fan translations.