Sign in to follow this  
AbyssDiver

Dragon Quest VIII - Unused Characters?

Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here (and the reason I came here, actually). I'd like to have your help in figuring something out. A TCRF user by the name of punk7890 has discovered a way to swap Trode with almost any model in Tryan Gully. To give you a better understanding, if you unpack the game's .DAT archive, you'll find a chara folder, which contains all non-event models, including the monsters and the NPC's. I was testing various models which can be swapped and found a bunch of interesting characters. I'll include the pictures and their model names below. Apologies for the black/white bars in some of the screenshots. I took them from PCSX2.

Spoiler

p001a.chr(looks similar to a nun in some of the churches):
ifzskm.PNG
p002a.chr:
lzursc.PNG
p003a.chr(appears to be a low-poly thug):

rsvxhx.PNG

p004a.chr:
xcgbgn.PNG

p005a.chr:
qiaebi.PNG

p006a.chr:

qgfsjk.PNG

p007a.chr:
nxwcjt.PNG

p008a.chr:
vqdskb.PNG

p009a.chr:
nqdtgr.PNG

While I remember most of the NPC's from DQ8, I'm not sure if those are used anywhere in the game. They might be from the previous installments, but I don't know any of them except for Torneko and Ragnar cameos, which can be found in the Monster Arena. Could you help me figure it out?

Edited by AbyssDiver

Welcome to the forum! (Don't forget to give yourself a proper intro).

These all seem to be early-build models that were replaced later in development, especially considering those thug and old man sprites.

Pretty much what Jaybird said.

Thanks for helping. I have but one more question to ask. The second archive, which contains music and voice lines, has these battle lines for Jessica. They can be found in btl folder. She makes lewd puns about breasts such as "Booby trap!". I'm pretty sure these were cut as well, as a T-rated game would probably not allow that. You can listen to them directly.

Edited by AbyssDiver

Again, it’s probably just cut content that was left over on the disc. A lot of games have stuff like that in their data.

They're likely early models or dummy models used for testing. The Torneko head is what makes the Spidey Sense tingle.

55 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

They're likely early models or dummy models used for testing. The Torneko head is what makes the Spidey Sense tingle.

They even have walking animations. Some have blinking and mouth animations.
I also noticed that p005a and p006a are depicted on the pre-release screenshot. They are seen having a conversation behind Hero.
dq01.jpg

Edited by AbyssDiver

4 hours ago, AbyssDiver said:

They even have walking animations. Some have blinking and mouth animations.
I also noticed that p005a and p006a are depicted on the pre-release screenshot. They are seen having a conversation behind Hero.
dq01.jpg

Wow very interesting, if someone was skilled enough with animation and etc. , new characters could be created.   Thanks for sharing those, very interesting especially since VIII is my favorite game in the series which everyone in here will tell you I'm obsessed with it.

Also I must say, seeing Valentina behind you petting a cat, that there were secondary characters that they could have used to embellish the story more.  Valentina's past could have been explored a little more later in the game and I even thought she could have been a potential bride for the hero--kind of like another secret alternate ending.   Of course when the mods are coming out, I would like to see maybe them making Bangerz participate in battles along the way to the tower when he joins your party.  Even Prince Charmles -- maybe make him extremely weak like having only 50 HP and can only do 1 - 2 points of damage... maybe 5 damage on a crit lol

Edited by Madrigal

10 hours ago, AbyssDiver said:

Thanks for helping. I have but one more question to ask. The second archive, which contains music and voice lines, has these battle lines for Jessica. They can be found in btl folder. She makes lewd puns about breasts such as "Booby trap!". I'm pretty sure these were cut as well, as a T-rated game would probably not allow that. You can listen to them directly.

Knock me down, these are incredible. She sounds like she's cracking up in the middle of "Titty-titty Bang Bang".

But again, it looks like more dummied out content that didn't make it to the final release. I would have remembered Jessica being that excited about making boob jokes.

How easy is it to unpack the .DAT file? Do I need a special program?

8 minutes ago, Sackchief said:

How easy is it to unpack the .DAT file? Do I need a special program?

You'll need to extract DATA.DAT and DATA.HD6 from the game's image file. Either dump it from your disc or find somewhere online, you're on your own there. Next, google "dq8ext". Unzip it and drag DATA.HD6 into it, but make sure that DATA.DAT is in the same folder. Once it finishes unpacking the files, the window will close and you'll see all the files in the folder .HD6 and .DAT files are in.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 8:10 PM, AbyssDiver said:

Hahaha what the hell.

I have a hard time imagine these being scrapped lines. Sounds more like stuff the localization team just recorded for the laughs, and never intended to implement in the first place.

Seeing these unused characters was really cool, but it really got me thinking.  The final fantasy series has done sequels and spin-offs with its entries.  I kind of wonder if Dragon Quest will ever do that with its entries, for instance, maybe DQ XI may actually get a sequel (DQ XI-2)

If you guys are interested in seeing more unused content from DQVIII, keep an eye on its TCRF page. It gets updated from time to time. Mostly by punk7890 with some additional input by me. All of the unused NPC's from my post have already been documented there, by the way.

Edited by AbyssDiver

16 hours ago, Madrigal said:

for instance, maybe DQ XI may actually get a sequel (DQ XI-2)

I would really hate to see DQ go this route - it's been free from that kind of stuff for 12 iterations now. I'd dig a new trilogy similar to the Erdrick one though, which shares some locations and such.

3 hours ago, Sumez said:

I would really hate to see DQ go this route - it's been free from that kind of stuff for 12 iterations now. I'd dig a new trilogy similar to the Erdrick one though, which shares some locations and such.

That would be nice.