Sign in to follow this  
Eccadairius

Into The Legend... (Playing Dragon Warrior III)

Yesterday, I bought a Retron 2 and started playing DW 3 and my party consists of

Hero Aiko (Female), Fighter Kyoko (Female), Fighter KImiko (Female), Wizard Laton (Male).

This game brings back old memories of my first play through which it took me 15 days to complete at $3 when I rented the game back then in 1991 and now I own a copy.

• Like 2

I’m playing the mobile version currently. It’s such a fun game for something that releases so long ago. Like it is actually better than 90% of what releases these days.

8 hours ago, Hecatomb said:

That sounds cool. I am slowly making progress in this game. I am at the Dharma Shrine in DW3.

• Like 1

Repro carts work, but unless you’re dead set on collecting, I would highly recommend the Everdrive from Krikzz.

https://krikzz.com/store/home/13-super-everdrive-v2.html

You can load up the new romhack Choppasmith is working on that’ll have the official translation from the mobile port in it.

14 hours ago, Eccadairius said:

That sounds cool. I am slowly making progress in this game. I am at the Dharma Shrine in DW3.

Dude, I'm a little bit ahead of you right now and there's this boss that just wont die lol.  Its so frustrating.  Let us know when you get to the next area.

3 hours ago, Sackchief said:

Dude, I'm a little bit ahead of you right now and there's this boss that just wont die lol.  Its so frustrating.  Let us know when you get to the next area.

I know that feeling. I dropped off my Merchant at the field east of Soo and created my forth party member :)

• Like 1

One thing I realized is that bosses in the game actually have some sort of secret hidden ability that lets them regenerate health every round apparently.  This basically prevents low level players from getting lucky and beating a boss they aren't supposed to beat yet.  The boss I was talking about has 300 HP, but he regenerates 100 every turn, so the only way to kill it is to do more than 100 damage every round or you'll be there forever.  This basically means you have to brute force your way through the boss fights which I'm not a huge fan of tbh.

6 hours ago, Sackchief said:

One thing I realized is that bosses in the game actually have some sort of secret hidden ability that lets them regenerate health every round apparently.  This basically prevents low level players from getting lucky and beating a boss they aren't supposed to beat yet.  The boss I was talking about has 300 HP, but he regenerates 100 every turn, so the only way to kill it is to do more than 100 damage every round or you'll be there forever.  This basically means you have to brute force your way through the boss fights which I'm not a huge fan of tbh.

DW III has lots of bugs too. In DW III at the end of the game, the Boss Trolls are HARD to kill! Oh boy! :D

I don’t understand the mobile port of 3 and why it can’t have animations or pachisi. Besides that does anyone else think the mobile port is even easier then the GBC/SNES because it feels like it I’m breezing through enemies barely having to heal this did not happen to me in the GBC version.

(2 also feels way easier then the GBC/SNES port did they nerf the enemies even more?)

If they did I still am annoyed because I can’t avoid grinding because they reduced the walking speed and running from encounters constantly is not going to work.

Edited by Reddragon18

2 hours ago, Reddragon18 said:

I don’t understand the mobile port of 3 and why it can’t have animations or pachisi. Besides that does anyone else think the mobile port is even easier then the GBC/SNES because it feels like it I’m breezing through enemies barely having to heal this did not happen to me in the GBC version.

(2 also feels way easier then the GBC/SNES port did they nerf the enemies even more?)

If they did I still am annoyed because I can’t avoid grinding because they reduced the walking speed and running from encounters constantly is not going to work.

The original trilogy 1~3 was released on mobile phones back in the early 00's.  At the time due to phone storage and RAM limitations, likely DQ3, being the only one with animations, and being significantly larger than 1 and 2 (combined), had to be trimmed down.  Though it's interesting that DQ2 had added content at that time.

The current releases of 1~3 are musically enhanced (and in DQ1's case, graphically enhanced models) of the original mobile releases.  They were most likely being extremely lazy with DQ3 in not readding the cut content from the SFC version.

I think they also allowed the number growth of multi-millions of downloads of DQ3 (only mobile release past 100,000 downloads) to get to their heads.  Not even accounting for the fact that DQ3's millions only came after the game was made free to play permanently on an anniversary date.  I think the 25th for DQ3?  I can't remember, but at the time it was the most purchased, though nowhere near that much.

As a result the PS4 and 3DS versions are downgraded subpar ports with altered sprites from the mobile...ports of ports of ports. 

I wonder how most Japanese players feel about the iOS/Droid releases and cut content.  Usually that's a huge negative, huge red flag.  Assures lower sales by wide margins.

Very disappointing, again. I just am interested in knowing if the enemies got weaker or your characters got stronger. I don’t want my DQ games brutally difficult but I don’t want them easy these mobile remakes are way to easy.

3 hours ago, Reddragon18 said:

Very disappointing, again. I just am interested in knowing if the enemies got weaker or your characters got stronger. I don’t want my DQ games brutally difficult but I don’t want them easy these mobile remakes are way to easy.

Same as the SFC rules and stats in everyway.

So essentially the hardest version of the monsters you face, especially bosses, but higher general stats all around by a large margin.

Let me run by a comparison with the NES.

On both versions, you have your base stat growth, a range equation, and a stat cap check, where if a stat is beyond the cap by even 1 point, you get 0 or 1 in stat growth.  In the NES, every character for each stat has a distinct cap check.  So let's look at the Hero's Strength at level 40.

NES Cap (Hero's Strength) = 10 + Level * 3.5 = 150 (no gender distinctions in starting stats)
SNES / GBC / Mobile Cap (any stat) = Base Stat + Level*2 + 15, and for Hero this is 241 Male / 240 Female

NES Growth for Strength @ Lv 40 = 234 base value (this is designed to, if conditions are favourable, keep the character at the cap, or near the cap)
SNES / GBC / Mobile Growth for Strength @ Lv 40 = 146 Male / 145 Female

What's interesting is that both the NES, SNES, and Mobile / iOS / Droid releases tend to round down.  The GBC tends to round up (thank TOSE for this).  This is in everything (damage equation, spells...and yes this does favour enemy output as well).  HOWEVER, the NES stat growth is treated more like an upper limit, while the remakes are treated as a center.  You can get higher growth in the NES per level up, but generally growth is below the base value.  While the SNES/Mobile usually follows the base value to a T, and the GBC is usually over by 10%.

There are ways to accidentally skirt the cap check on the NES.  I have no idea how it's done, but I've had games with over 180 natural Strength by level 40.  Twice just over 200, always saving my seeds until that point (levels 40~45, not 200 specifically or 180 specifically, or even 150 specifically).

So when factoring in personality, if your growth is about 120% towards Strength, in the GBC it will usually be +20% more (and factoring in the up to +10%, it's usually going to be over 120%).  In the SNES / Mobile releases, expect it to generally be 110~120%, so 115% is most likely, due to rounding down.  Still good though.  168 is about right in the mobile version for level 40 as a consistent value.  HOWEVER it's not that rare to see 200 at level 40, not compared to the NES version.

So while bosses are definitely harder (especially Boss Troll in the first world...in a way Orochi is easier, but takes longer to take down, by a fair 5~10 rounds on average for similar levels and classes), and normal enemies are a tad harder (some of them, not all), than their NES counterparts, and you'll have more limited access to great gear compared to the NES in the first world, at least until hitting Manoza / Samanao where you'll get the equipment found in Theddon / Tedanki in the NES, overall things balance out nicely.

Plus mini medal rewards, and you won't have unlimited access to certain gears, like the Shimmering Dress / Light Dress is capped to 1 rather than infinite, and the Dragon Claw is capped to 1 rather than infinite (though it takes a LONG time to get more than the 2 easy finds with Pachisi track searches in the SNES/GBC).  1 Expel Shield rather than 2, and a whole slew of limited gear that had either more than 1 or 2, or had infinite in the other remakes, it's quite easy to handle the game.

Personally I think the Mobile is the hardest version overall, but not by any massive margin.  Orochi had regen but only 300 HP in the NES...which at a level you should battle it, and with good tactics and spell usage, should be 8~10 rounds total for each, 13~20 in the remake, but taking less damage per round.

I rather wish they bring back Orochi's regen and the SNES stats.  Unlikely, but it would be nice to see the next remake offered a Draconian setting that upped the difficulty in ways like that.

---

Plus you have Thieves to boot.

Edited by ignasia

Interesting. Perhaps, however, battles moving faster and getting levels quicker might have to do something, however, I still can’t get by the notion. I’m playing the GBC version side by side and I have to grind extensively to survive early on. Mobile I can breeze through the area’s instantly. Thanks for the info.

2 hours ago, Reddragon18 said:

Interesting. Perhaps, however, battles moving faster and getting levels quicker might have to do something, however, I still can’t get by the notion. I’m playing the GBC version side by side and I have to grind extensively to survive early on. Mobile I can breeze through the area’s instantly. Thanks for the info.

I hadn't noticed EXP rate being any higher (or maybe level requirements lower), but I never checked.  That would, as levels in DQ games do play a rather significant role unlike FF, given the subtraction in the main damage equation instead of a division/multiplicative equations more common in other series.

5 levels in a DQ game are like the equivalent of 15 in an FF.  Weapons and Armour in an FF game though...that has far greater importance due to those equations...500 versus 1000 damage just off a +20 point gain, or going back to older enemies, 1500 versus 3000.  I mean it's cool, but sometimes I really prefer that simpler up front DQ engine as that +4 stat actually does something...in FF...it's like a .01% gain in power unless your weapon is much stronger, then it's a .1%, unless of course your enemy has a really high defense power, then it's back to .01%.

Anyway...