Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Dragon Quest XI S is the Switch DQXI

Cool, so they did throw a little something, but no pics.  So they're keeping most of it under wraps still.

I kind of predicted it would have Japanese VA, but that was guaranteed given it would give a real advantage and distinction to that version in Japan.  I love the implications (anything but small), and Switch and Special.  Switch...lol, I wonder if he means you can switch modes?  Special too huh?  I really want to know the unique features.

Edited by ignasia

Copy/pasting the article’s contents.

Dragon Quest XI for Nintendo Switch is now Dragon Quest XI S

by Bryan Vitale, 23 September, 2018

“The Switch version of Dragon Quest XI  was announced before the console even had an official name. Since then, the game has released on 3DS (in Japan), Playstation 4, and even PC via Steam. However, while the available versions of the game have released to critical acclaim and commercial success in Japan, the version for Nintendo's hybrid console has long been an enigmatic question mark. 

Finally, during Square Enix's TGS stream event today, we get a small glimpse at the status of the Switch version of Dragon Quest XI, now retitled Dragon Quest XI S. 

According to Dragon Quest boss Yuji Horii, the 'S' in the updated title stands for anything but 'small'. Instead, the S can stand for Switch, Special, or even 'Seiyuu', or a Japanese voice actor. The later of those possibilities could stem from the fact that the Japanese version of the game did not feature any voice acting. Perhaps this will be an addition to the Japanese version of Dragon Quest XI S. 

Unfortunately, outside of the new title and title card, today's announcement is still a little light in terms of specific details, or information on a possible release window. Dragon Quest XI originally released on July 29, 2017 in Japan and this year in the west on September 4. You can read our review of the game here.”

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/dragon-quest-xi-for-switch-titled-dragon-quest-xi-s

The Switch version of Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age will be titled Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S, Square Enix announced during its Dragon Quest Paradise News Station event at Tokyo Game Show 2018.

According to Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii, among the meanings of the "S" in the title are "Switch," "Special," "Shaberu" (Speaking) and Seiyuu (Voice Actor)."

While a release date was not announced, Horii said it would still take a bit of time before the Switch version is released.

It sounds like Square Enix is treating the Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest XI like the Nintendo 3DS version of Dragon Quest VIII in terms of voice acting. I still have a glimmer of hope that the Nintendo 3DS exclusive features will find its way on the Nintendo Switch version, considering Yuji Horii said "Special" is one of the meanings of "S".

Edited by Dakhil

It's like iPhone 7S or 8S, the S stands for "same" as it'll be the same old DQXI when they get around to releasing it in 2020.

I'm glad they're doing something special for the switch version. I'll be waiting for that release.

I cross my fingers for a PS4 (and Switch) version which would include the 3DS bonus dungeon 

Update 6:00 a.m.: However, in response to Horii saying “Shaberu,” Dragon Quest XI producer Hokuto Okamoto added, “Even though shaberu (speaking) will be taking priority… I think there are some players who would prefer Dragon Quest without voices, and we’re keeping that in mind. Horii will be able to say more about that at some point…”
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/09/dragon-quest-xi-for-switch-titled-dragon-quest-xi-s#1MwM7Va71qHxdyOr.99

I think the “s” stands for “shut the #$*! up now, please.” But that’s just my guess.

28 minutes ago, eal said:

I think the “s” stands for “shut the #$*! up now, please.” But that’s just my guess.

I figured it meant “Sugiyama’s Revenge,” and all the music is just removed from the game.

• Like 2

Hopefully S stands for Symphonic.

And weStern hemiSphere

I hope "S" stands for "Sprite", as in I can play Dragon Quest XI either in the 3D mode of the PlayStation 4 version or the 2D mode of the Nintendo 3DS version (like with the Nintendo 3DS version).

I know it's very unlikely, but if there's a 2D mode option, it would be nice to see 2D mode use the "HD 2D" style used in Octopath Traveler. But that's probably just me.

"S" stands for "Still can't get UE4 to run at more than 4fps on Switch". Let's not forget that was the original reason for the delay; they're doing the PR thing of trying to pass it off as some "S"pecial version of the game, but it's really just a very delayed, low resolution port of a PS4 game. I'm also conflicted on the idea of there being extra content. Horii said he was against DLC, but then if they make extra content in order to get people to pay money for a game they already own, what is that other than convoluted DLC? Worse still, it causes people to buy a console they don't even own in order to access that extra content. Charging £10 for an extra dungeon is far less morally bad. It's like saying "I won't charge guests to use my toilet, not like those other guys I've heard about that charge people £10 for that (play along with me here lol), but I will charge people to use my bathroom door and it's going to be £300".

7 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Hopefully S stands for Symphonic.

tenor.gif?itemid=4958026

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Teclo said:

"S" stands for "Still can't get UE4 to run at more than 4fps on Switch". Let's not forget that was the original reason for the delay; they're doing the PR thing of trying to pass it off as some "S"pecial version of the game, but it's really just a very delayed, low resolution port of a PS4 game. I'm also conflicted on the idea of there being extra content. Horii said he was against DLC, but then if they make extra content in order to get people to pay money for a game they already own, what is that other than convoluted DLC? Worse still, it causes people to buy a console they don't even own in order to access that extra content. Charging £10 for an extra dungeon is far less morally bad. It's like saying "I won't charge guests to use my toilet, not like those other guys I've heard about that charge people £10 for that (play along with me here lol), but I will charge people to use my bathroom door and it's going to be £300".

Um, no.  Not even close.  UE4 on Switch hasn't been much of an issue except for graphical downgrades when in Handheld mode.  They tend to run this day and age around 20~30, more typically 30 and in heavy load 25, in really heavy loads it can get down to 15 fps from what I've seen in tests.  It's worse in Handheld, but docked it rarely gets below 20 even under very heavy load.

UE4 has also been available for the Switch since around 2016.  The issue was in 2014 when they were initially developing Dragon Quest 11, and they weren't aware UE4 wasn't patched to work with the Switch yet.

They started Switch development back in 2017, February or March.  Back in June Horii disclosed it was UE4 and that development was going really well for the Switch.

After tweaks to assets, there's little need to do anything for a straight port.  So no, you're blowing smoke out of your ass on this one, just like Eal would when he made the exact same claim, and from his perspective, because Switch is selling like hotcakes and that alone means a straight port is all that's necessary to profit.

The extra costs for a full 2 year development cycle, which is more than any port has ever gotten, and you think it's just a port they've had a lot of trouble with?

Sure the statements made that the Switch would have exclusive content could be stated as rumour, but SE never denied them, and they're known for denying stuff that spreads if they don't want people to know, or if it's actually factually untrue.  More often the latter.

Plus it's uncharacteristic of DQ's to not have exclusive content per version release.  Where there is no such thing as a definitive release of any Dragon Quest (which for me is completely bloody annoying).  Even the mobile releases are like this when compared to their counterparts.

===

They HAVE to justify the extra development costs for the Switch release.  We'll see what they have, but when you find out how wrong you are, I suggest first taking that blunt out of your mouth, as I'd hate for you to accidentally swallow it.  How much extra content though, remains to be seen.

Edited by ignasia

S stands for silent. Sugiyama has suspended all music rights for DQ.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

See! Sugiyama’s Revenge is happening! 😂

39 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

LOL...more like Sugiyama will no longer release Orchestral versions, and all releases are now Midi.  He has since commissioned a botnet program to hack into everyone's computer to change out all remaining orchestrated copies and switch them out with Midi versions.

The S for Sugiyama's revenge in this case...2 bit Midi renditions...no, not even 8!

4 minutes ago, ignasia said:

LOL...more like Sugiyama will no longer release Orchestral versions, and all releases are now Midi.  He has since commissioned a botnet program to hack into everyone's computer to change out all remaining orchestrated copies and switch them out with Midi versions.

The S for Sugiyama's revenge in this case...2 bit Midi renditions...no, not even 8!

The music is just someone hitting a woodblock.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

So just like the PS4 version then :3 

Oh, it's not that bad.

I actually like the battle music more than DQ8, but then I dislike DQ8 more than any other battle track for any RPG ever.  The opening to it is far too fast paced.  The PS2 release is fine as the tempo is drastically reduced, so those horns aren't as blaring or as fast paced...letting it flow more evenly.  It's a strange juxtaposition for me for a game that is intentionally slow in its pacing, but it seems designed to match the intended story pacing of the chase for Dhoulmagus...like...HURRY HURRY, get this battle overwith or you'll miss your opportunity to get at Dhoulmagus!

It's overly simplistic, and the ranges don't quite match, but DQ11's track has the makings of a really good track if only someone with a better more accurate ear could rework it.  Even so it's decent.

The only track I have a hard time handling still, is the overworld.  I'm tolerating it now, but the orchestrated version is so much better, but even then it's still not what I would call good.  It is by far the most jarring track in the game for me.  The one with the widest variance of jacked up treble or bass at almost random intervals, it's just jarring.  Sounds like DQ still, but jarring, bad, poor quality DQ.  Like a child's first attempt at music sheet.

Oh, it's not that bad.
I actually like the battle music more than DQ8, but then I dislike DQ8 more than any other battle track for any RPG ever.  The opening to it is far too fast paced.  The PS2 release is fine as the tempo is drastically reduced, so those horns aren't as blaring or as fast paced...letting it flow more evenly.  It's a strange juxtaposition for me for a game that is intentionally slow in its pacing, but it seems designed to match the intended story pacing of the chase for Dhoulmagus...like...HURRY HURRY, get this battle overwith or you'll miss your opportunity to get at Dhoulmagus!
It's overly simplistic, and the ranges don't quite match, but DQ11's track has the makings of a really good track if only someone with a better more accurate ear could rework it.  Even so it's decent.
The only track I have a hard time handling still, is the overworld.  I'm tolerating it now, but the orchestrated version is so much better, but even then it's still not what I would call good.  It is by far the most jarring track in the game for me.  The one with the widest variance of jacked up treble or bass at almost random intervals, it's just jarring.  Sounds like DQ still, but jarring, bad, poor quality DQ.  Like a child's first attempt at music sheet.
Yeah the overworld and battle music is so much better served by the Orchestral mod.

I actually don't have a big problem with the overworld music, fortunately. But it's definitely a travesty compared to the incredible overworld tunes of DQ 1-4 and 8.

I actually think the midi version of the overworld theme is fine...but I just like the song anyway, so there’s that. 🤔

Only thing I don’t like about the overworld theme is the long arse name it has: “The Hero Goes Forth with Determination.” It’s not a very good name (IMO), but do you guys know how many songs have the word, “Hero,” in them? There’s that one, “Hero’s Triumphant Return,” “The Hero Goes Forth (a totally different song from the first one I might add), and “Homecoming of the Heroes.”

4 #$*!ing songs with “Hero,” in their titles! And 2 of them have the exact same title save for the former having “with Determination.”