Sign in to follow this  
AustNerevar

Canon Hero Names

Search as I may, I can't find ALL of the canon names for the heroes. I understand that its Madeson for DQ V, Solo/Sofia for DQ IV, and Auster for DQ VII, but I dont know about any others particularly the Erdrick trilogy.

Help a guy out?

It’s Madason, not Madeson. Just FYI.

DQI: Doesn’t have one
DQII: Doesn’t have one
DQIII: Technically he’s Erdrick, but you aren’t allowed to name him that.
DQIV: Male is Solo, Female is Sofia
DQV: Madason (son of Mada)
DQVI: Doesn’t have one
DQVII: Arus
DQVIII: Eight. That’s his name you are given if you played the original demo disc for DQVIII.
DQIX: I think it’s Nine, but I don’t have proof
DQXI: Canon name is Eleven, it was shown in gameplay previews.

DQI: Doesn’t have one
DQII: Doesn’t have one
DQIII: Technically he’s Erdrick, but you aren’t allowed to name him that.
DQIV: Male is Solo, Female is Sofia
DQV: Madason (son of Mada)
DQVI: Doesn’t have one
DQVII: Arus
DQVIII: Eight. That’s his name you are given if you played the original demo disc for DQVIII.
DQIX: I think it’s Nine, but I don’t have proof
DQXI: Canon name is Eleven, it was shown in gameplay previews.
I was under the impression that they all had names, even if they weren't mentioned in promo material.

They really don't all have names.  Pretty sure the philosophy behind the original game's design is to let you choose the name so that you can identify with the protagonist, probably why they bar you from naming DQIII's protagonist Erdrick even though that is his name.  

21 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That list nails DQ6 perfectly:

DQ6 Hero: 勇者レック (The Hero Wreck)

Haha, why am I not surprised you’d pick on the poor DQ6 hero? 🤣

Now if we were to bring up the one true names for all the heroes, this is what they are:

DQ1 - YOOOORG!

DQ2 - BlueJeff

DQ3 - SpikyRoy

DQ4 - YuleGene for male, YuleGina for female

DQ5 - LuckyJon

DQ6 - SleepyLi (pronounced like “Lee”)

DQ7 - TastyBob

DQ8 - BlindJim

DQ9 - AwfulSam (works for male or female)

DQ10 - Sir/Lady Not Appearing In This List (no English release so I’m skipping it...for now).

DQ11 - MopTopMo

Spoiler

Why did I start the one true name joke? Your guess is as good as mine.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

DQVIII Hero is definitely Eight. There’s lots of evidence plus Theatrhythm confirms it.

From the TvTropes list I fixed up way back when:

• The hero of the first game is named Alef (as in, "of Alefgard") in Japanese novelizations and drama CDs.
  • The Prince of Midenhall (jp. "Laurasia"), hero of II, is named Allen in novelizations and drama CDs.
  • His cousins, the Prince of Cannock (jp. "Sumaltria") and Princess of Moonbrooke are interesting cases — they have their names selected from a pre-programmed list depending on what the hero's own name is. As such, they have many "Canon" names: the Prince is "Conan" in the CD theater drama and novelization, or "Cain" or "Cookie" in other books (Fortune Street settled on Cookie); while the Princess is "Nana" in the CD drama, "Seria" in the novelnote , and "Pudding" in Fortune Street. The English translation of IX went "Screw It" and named them Princeton and Princessa.
  • The heroes of IV were named Solo and Sofia (it's All There in the Manual of the remakes and ratified by Monster Battle Road). In the CD Theater audio drama, the hero is named Rei, and in the official novelizations his name is Yuuril.
  • The prologue of V indicates that the hero's father wanted to name him Madason in honor of his wife, but she named him whatever the player chose instead. Madason is the hero's name anyway in cameo appearances. The default name for the hero in-game in Japanese is Abel, while in the CD Theater audio drama and the official novelizations, the hero is named Luca.
  • His children are named Sora ("Sky") and Ten ("Heaven") in the manga, but official English releases of the remakes named them Madchen and Parry.
  • The default name for the hero of VI in the Japanese games is Rek (assuming it's not Reck or Wreck). In the CD theater drama, his name is Will. In the manga, his name is Botts. In the novelization, his name is Iza.
  • The hero of VII is Arus in the manga and Monster Battle Road. In the 3DS remake's English promotional materials, he's named Auster.
  • The hero of VIII is named "Eight" by Squeenix action figures, Monster Battle Road, and the old Shonen Jump promotional disc (for those of you who got it way back when).
  • The hero of IX is likewise "Nine" in Monster Battle Road.

They really just stopped trying around VIII for whatever reason.

• Upvote 1

I concur with the previous post and will add that the canon name of DQIII's protagonist is Arel. This is shown in the manga Emblem of Roto, and in both the Novel and CD audio if I'm not mistaken (Emblem of Roto even show which party he had when he defeated Zoma: male warrior named Furcas, female monk named Fong, and male sage named Kadal). 

I could try to find it again, but I'll just leave it here: the canon names for DQBuilders I found on the Japanese DQ Wikia are Build for the male protagonist and Kurie for the female one.

6 hours ago, Xiggy said:

I concur with the previous post and will add that the canon name of DQIII's protagonist is Arel. This is shown in the manga Emblem of Roto, and in both the Novel and CD audio if I'm not mistaken (Emblem of Roto even show which party he had when he defeated Zoma: male warrior named Furcas, female monk named Fong, and male sage named Kadal). 

I could try to find it again, but I'll just leave it here: the canon names for DQBuilders I found on the Japanese DQ Wikia are Build for the male protagonist and Kurie for the female one.

I knew III must've named its hero somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

1 minute ago, JaybirdC said:

I knew III must've named its hero somewhere. Thanks for sharing.

Much obliged! :D

I usually just end up naming the DQ3 Hero "Abel" after the protagonist of the Dragon Warrior cartoon that's based on DQ3.  If I decide to play a female Hero instead I'll usually just use the name of another DQ lady.

17 minutes ago, Shadownite said:

I usually just end up naming the DQ3 Hero "Abel" after the protagonist of the Dragon Warrior cartoon that's based on DQ3.  If I decide to play a female Hero instead I'll usually just use the name of another DQ lady.

Just change it to Adele (the extra “e” at the end being optional). That way all you need to do is flip around the “b.”

• Like 1

Im guessing the Hero in dragon quest swords doesn't have a name

Rocket-rocket slime

dragon quest heroes-Luceus and Aurora

dragon quest heroes 2-Lazarel and Teresa

dragon quest builders- not sure

dragon quest monster games not sure also

17 minutes ago, Hecatomb said:

Im guessing the Hero in dragon quest swords doesn't have a name

Swords hero is called Blade. It’s been a couple years but I think that’s just a nickname.