Sign in to follow this  
Megalosaro

The Problem with Remakes (and the Myth of the lack of evolution in the Franchise)

I often read complaints that "Dragon Quest" never evolves and while I've always discounted that sentiment, I think i understand why people come to that conclusion.

At least in the West, most people have really only experienced the franchise through the various remakes that have come out over the years.  Various changes have occured over the years and the remakes kind of have disrupted that flow.   Now don't get me wrong, I love the remakes (for the most part).  But if your first exposure is the remakes, I could see how they'd think the franchise is stagnate.  The big offenders are the DS remakes of IV - VI, which homogenized those 3 games.

I'll start off by listing the big features for each game, and then summarize the big changes in each remake.

Dragon Quest 1 - Introduced first person battles.  Introduced the general gameplay loop (visit towns, collect clues from NPCs, explore dungeons, etc).  Introduced several iconic monsters (I think pretty much every monster from DQ1 are recurring throughout the series).  

Dragon Quest 2 - Removed the need to select "Stair" command".  Removed the need for torches.  Introduced party battle system.  Introduced multiple monsters in battle.  Added the ship.  

Dragon Quest 3 - This is when DQ really came into its own.  Introduced 4 person party.  Introduced Thief Key, Magic Key, Ultimate Key loop.  Introduced Air travel.  Revised Zoom so now you can go to any major town you've already visited.  Introduced the basic classes that Dragon Quest has utilized over the years.  Introduced Luida's Bar / Patty's Pub.  Introduced the first Maou / Daimaou final boss

Dragon Quest 4 - Introduced Chapter based game play.  Introduced "Tactics" AI controlled party members.  Introduced mini medals.  Introduced the wagon (for switching out party members)

Dragon Quest 5 - Introduced monster taming.  Refined AI Tactics.  Made party size 3 party members.  Changed the Mini medal system to the current cumulative instead of the alternative currency in DQ4.  First game to have post-game dungeon

Dragon Quest 6 - Introduced intermediate and advanced jobs.  Introduced the "bag" for mass item storage.  Introduced monster animations.  

Dragon Quest 7 - Introduced Party Chat feature.  

Dragon Quest 8 - Full 3d world.  introduced 3rd person battles.  removed class system in favor of skill points.  Item crafting with Alchemy pot.

The remakes made tons of QoL changes to each game.

Dragon Quest 1+2:  Remade with DQV SNES's engine.  Primarily just aesthetic changes, though the game was rebalanced.  eliminated the need for using the "stair" command to DQ2 though.

Dragon Quest 3: Remade with DQ6 SNES's engine.  Brought the "Bag" and monster animations with it.   Introduced post-game content.

Dragon Quest IV PSX: Remade with 7's engine.  introduced party chat (though this was removed from the English release on DS), introduced the "bag" inventory, changed Tactics AI so that you can control party members in chapter 5.  Added 6th chapter.  changed mini medals to be cumulative like most games in the franchise

Dragon quest 5 DS: Based on Dragon Quest IV DS's engine, which is based on the engine used for VII and IV PSX.  Because of this, it now has monster animations.  Introduced "bag" from 6.  Expanded party to 4 members.  Introduced Party Chat.

Dragon Quest 6 DS: Based on Dragon Quest IV DS's engine.  Because of this, monsters now has idle animations.  Removed the "Remember" spell.  Introduced Party Chat.  Removed the ability to recruit monsters from the Monster Tamer class.

Dragon Quest VII 3DS: Custom engine.  World map is now 3d and zone based.   Monsters are now visible on the world map.   Third person battle system with 3d models. 

Dragon Quest VIII:  Random Monsters.  New characters that use skills and weapons that were introduced in Dragon Quest IX.  Removed the wait time for items to be completed.

I think that the games that suffer the most from this are IV-VI DS.   Because they use the same engine, those games lose much of their visual identity since they now look and play exactly the same.  VI in particular suffers the most since what set it apart from previous games when it came out was the graphical improvements

Edited by Megalosaro
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Megalosaro said:

Dragon Quest 6 - The first post-game dungeon was introduced.

Doesn't this distinction belong to Dragon Quest 5? Estark's dungeon?

Edited by GrandAlchemist
  • Like 2

Imagine the people in the Dragon Quest fanbase that gets upset about how Dragon Quest games don’t evolve and put them in one big room. Now multiply that by 1,000 and you probably get the Pokémon fanbase.

As for remakes, I mean, I don’t care because they do make them more accessible and so long as they’re not this piles of garbage FF fans tell me all their ports are. Not even remakes - ports! I’ve been told there is still no definitive way to experience VI, which I’m probably the most interested in playing, and Chrono Trigger fans seem split on which version is the best.

I really do wish to play the original versions of each of the DQ games but the fan translations don't cut it for me anymore. I really want to play V for SNES and PS2 with the DS localization, but nobodys released a Rom that has it. The same goes for VI SNES and the original NES games.

22 minutes ago, eal said:

Imagine the people in the Dragon Quest fanbase that gets upset about how Dragon Quest games don’t evolve and put them in one big room. Now multiply that by 1,000 and you probably get the Pokémon fanbase.

As for remakes, I mean, I don’t care because they do make them more accessible and so long as they’re not this piles of garbage FF fans tell me all their ports are. Not even remakes - ports! I’ve been told there is still no definitive way to experience VI, which I’m probably the most interested in playing, and Chrono Trigger fans seem split on which version is the best.

In regards to the FF Ports and Remakes(1-6 only since I have yet to fully play the others) and Chrono Trigger here is imho the definitive versions of each.

FF1:PSP Version,if you don't like the graphical style GBA

FF2:PSP Version if you don't like the graphical style GBA

FF3:PSP for the 3D remake since its graphically improved over the DS plus you can still access all the content unlike the DS due to the shutdown of DS Wifi,there is no sprite based remake unfortunately,I would love if someone would make one,but for that your only choice is NES.

FFIV:PSP or ROM of the EU GBA version since the NA has bugs that were never fixed for sprite based and DS for 3D

FFV:Unless we somehow get another remaster,remake or port preferably in the style of 1,2,4 on PSP then the best version is the GBA since the Mobile\PC ports has awful sprites and in the case of the PC Version,tons of bugs,a bad mobile based UI,and the terrain is tiled due to not adjusting for the typical pc resolution compared to mobile,also partial controller support.The Battlebacks,and monster art is fine though.GBA is what I would recommend though I would say V has never gotten a true definitive release though GBA has the best translation,and is the most feature complete,least buggy and isn't ugly as sin.

FFVI:GBA by and far is the best version of this game available unless you actually like the Woolsey translation,the PC and Mobile versions is a disgrace.

Chrono Trigger:For me the definitive version is the DS Version since it takes the SNES version,adds the new stuff from the PS1 version,adds so new stuff on top of that and uses a new translation,which is good if your not a fan of the Woolsey translation.The PC version has made great strides but it still lags behind the DS Version.

I feel that Final Fantasy V and VI never got the remaster,remake or port they truly deserve.

AustNerevar,I feel the same way I would love to replay Dragon Quest I,II,III on version besides the GBC but I don't like the current translation of the SNES Remakes,I like the current and canon translation on mobile but I can't stand the forced landscape mode and touchscreen only controls.So I would love for us to either get those ported to PS4 and 3DS\Switch or the new translations be applied to the SNES Remakes.I also wouldn't say no to doing IV PSX,V and VI SNES and V PS2 using the DS Translation.

Edited by Maxrebo

If "removing wait time for crafted items" (something that was previously added as an intentional gameplay element) counts as "evolution", maybe this explains why you hear people "complaining" that the series doesn't evolve?

Personally, I'm quite happy that it doesn't "evolve".

On 9/19/2018 at 10:51 PM, AustNerevar said:

I really do wish to play the original versions of each of the DQ games but the fan translations don't cut it for me anymore. I really want to play V for SNES and PS2 with the DS localization, but nobodys released a Rom that has it. The same goes for VI SNES and the original NES games.

If the team that did Terry's Wonderland and Joker 3 got hold of them, they'd be legit!