Sign in to follow this  
AustNerevar

Orchestral Music Mod in the works

I saw this over at the Steam discussion forums for the game and it seems like this mod has not only been undertaken, but is also nearing completion. I'll copy the post below

https://steamcommunity.com/app/742120/discussions/0/1739968490573373255/

Hey everyone, I just wanted to announce that work on an overhaul to the midi soundtrack to convert every single music track to orchestration is nearing completion. We are deciding how we will release the mod, and we are still finalizing the process of injecting the music, so work on the mod is estimated to be completed some time by the end of this week (although depending on complications, it could be just a bit longer). 

Currently the project is being worked on by myself and 3 other Unreal Engine modders, and through collaboration we’ve managed to successfully unpack and decrypt all music files. Currently, we have successful injection of a few songs (properly looped) into the game, and we are working on a simple injector that can be loaded alongside the game that will accurately insert all orchestrated music files and replace the midi ones. 

The reason why injection is our best option, as opposed to just overriding the files, is because Squeenix decided to encode their music files in a specific way, making it difficult to create simple drag and drop files (and, on top of that, it’s incredibly time consuming to decrypt and unpack the entirety of the Data.pak file of the game). 

I’ll be updating this regularly until we are complete. As soon as the project is done, we will let you all know here. Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll do my best to respond.

EDIT: I just wanted to note that we are using the absolute highest quality files we know of. We fully intend to deliver as high a quality mod as possible.

Also I just want to give proper shoutouts to the people involved; Preta from the Resetera forums, who has single handedly edited and looped the entire soundtrack, Infogram from the Zenhax forums, who has been our lead programmer, and now Canzah, who’s been linked to several previous DQ mods including the orchestral/uncensored mod fro DQVIII 3DS! Be sure to thank these guys too when everything is said and done :)

So how does this work exactly? Are they allowed to tweak the game and officially release a mod on Steam? Is that allowed? Steam allows it? legal? Etc, how do they release it if the game is already published on Steam?

25 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

So how does this work exactly? Are they allowed to tweak the game and officially release a mod on Steam? Is that allowed? Steam allows it? legal? Etc, how do they release it if the game is already published on Steam?

From what I've read the way they are doing it is by injecting into the games exe almost like what skse does with Skyrim. I get the feeling that the project will probably be getting a c and d.

I'd rather have the MIDI version. In DQ8 too.
Well that's the base game. This mod isn't for you then.

23 hours ago, muddy120 said:

Even if they are allowed to hack the games (which is fine. You bought the game), they'd have to distribute the music, which is of course absolutely illegal.

The only legal option I can think of would be appealing to people who have the soundtrack cd, and include a tool that rips it for the hack to use. Then for people who want to go the illegal route, they'd just download the soundtrack from whatever people download that stuff from nowadays.

I'm curious how they managed to loop the symphonic tracks. I'm no audio whiz, but it seems like it would be kind of difficult to make smoothly looping versions of real-world orchestral recordings like that. (I guess you can say "DQ8 did it!", but still.. how did it do it??!)

Here’s a video showcasing the mod in action.

MUSIC MOD IS HERE!

I’ll be curious to see if it gets shut down. Hopefully it won’t so people can enjoy DQ music to the fullest potential (hell, I’d get it on Steam just for the mod).

Oh I am certain it will be shut down.

But not before everyone of us who have been watching that thread like a hawk has a chance to download it. The fans will keep it alive.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Oh I am certain it will be shut down.

But not before everyone of us who have been watching that thread like a hawk has a chance to download it. The fans will keep it alive.

I hope so! If it can stay alive somehow I’d definitely check it out.

It sounds AMAZING. You don't realize how much of an improvement over MIDI this is until you actually try it.

The gameplay I posted above gave me a good idea. Plus I can imagine how much nicer it would be to have.

I’m still fine with what we got, but hey, the option to use symphonic music for the PC version is nice.

• Upvote 1

The gameplay I posted above gave me a good idea. Plus I can imagine how much nicer it would be to have.
I’m still fine with what we got, but hey, the option to use symphonic music for the PC version is nice.
Yeah, its a shame that PS4 has to miss out, but its not the end of the world. On the Steam thrwad for this mod there were a lot of people who held off on purchasing the game until the mod was finished and confirmed working.

I went back through some cutscenes to see how they sounded. What I thought was the worst offender which is the music that plays when you're first at Cobblestone Tor, sounds perfect now.

The FMV in the middle of the game was greatly improved as well.

The music files are encrypted somehow and you can't listen to any of it outside of the game.

The mod is out now, installed earlier this morning.  I might be crazy but I actually think the synth versions of some of the songs sounded better. :P

I installed it and made a little guide showing how I did it.  Its super simple and it sounds great tbh.

The mod is out now, installed earlier this morning.  I might be crazy but I actually think the synth versions of some of the songs sounded better.
You are crazy.

Looks like the thread has been deleted from the Steam community forums thought the guide that contains the dload links and instructions is still available on the DQ XI guides section. I'm seeding the torrent and I have the files saved as well. If anyone here needs help finding the instructions or getting everything set up, you can PM me. I won't provide any links to files in forum posts though.

Presumably, if a cease and desist does get sent out, then the encrypted music files will go underground on the pirate bay or something similar and the main injector program will still be provided by the devs.

I was about to say congrats, lads. Download it now before Sugiyama Kobo nukes it. And there it is!

I can't believe how much my enjoyment of the game has improved because of this mod. Grinding has an entirely new energy to it with that bombastic batyle music playing.

MEGA is limiting download bandwidth in my current location. Would somebody mirror the mod to another host (Google Drive, perhaps? Or Dropbox, if you've got it?) Please and thank you.

Man I wish you could do this with the PS4 version :(