Sign in to follow this  
Hecatomb

Your least fav dragon quest game?

33 minutes ago, knighTeen87 said:

(except for it's awesome soundtrack)

This guy gets it. Of the Erdrick Trilogy, DQ2 has my favorite soundtrack by far.

• Like 1

I think "Wars", for me. Not a bad one, just not for me. The one that can keep my interest the least. :(

• Like 1

Main games: 5, then 8 if I had to choose then 5.

spin-offs: I have only played DWM1/2 joker 1/2 and I loved them all I hear DQ wars is bad but haven’t played it yet.

I see a lot of people saying they start playing DQ games then stop for a long time. I have never done this even if 5 is the one I like the least I still started it and finished it within 4 days. Why would anyone ever take a break from a DQ game? No wonder so many people hate 6. 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 10:16 PM, sad46 said:

I see a lot of people saying they start playing DQ games then stop for a long time. I have never done this even if 5 is the one I like the least I still started it and finished it within 4 days. Why would anyone ever take a break from a DQ game? No wonder so many people hate 6. 

You should see my DQ6 Motivation thread.

I think "Wars", for me. Not a bad one, just not for me. The one that can keep my interest the least.
According to my DS I played it for 1.5 hours. Six or seven years ago. Once. And done.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bururian said:

You should see my DQ6 Motivation thread.

He should see my DQ8 thread. And I liked that game.

Edited by eal

On 11/27/2018 at 12:17 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 10/15/2018 at 3:27 PM, Cesar Hernandez-Meraz said:
I think "Wars", for me. Not a bad one, just not for me. The one that can keep my interest the least. emoji20.png

According to my DS I played it for 1.5 hours. Six or seven years ago. Once. And done.

[JaybirdC does 1 damage to Plattym].

tl;dr VII has slow pacing, uncompelling vignettes, meh characters, it uses the "X joined your party" when unimportant NPCs tag along, 3ds made class system worse.

I don't exactly dislike VIII, my take on it is that it's the most well-rounded of the series, it's like picking Mario in Smash or Mario Kart, or the Blue Falcon in F-Zero, but I think people vastly overrate it, I can understand why as it was the first DQ for most of people who overrate VIII. At least it has some character building although the skill point system is just an illusion of character customization because who are we kidding, you're always gonna go courage on hero, thin air then axes/humanity with yangus, bows/charisma with angelo and twin dragon lash with jessica (or staff/charisma in 3ds), you're missing out if you don't go with their best skilltrees. The story I felt was nice up until you beat dhoulmagus, then you get this wild goose chase in a world you have already seen everything it has to offer for you and the pacing kinda dredges. Overall at the end of the day I think it's good and well-rounded, but people will sell it to you like its the absolute pinnacle of the series.

Now for actually least liked, I don't think it'd be fair for me to say I or II given the time it was conceived in, and was a leap of improvement over I as the series were experimenting with the RPG genre and growing it out to what we have today, so next in line would be VII probably, I remember back in the day it felt like a fan-game that tried too hard to improve on VI and failed (you shouldn't ever use the "X joined your party!" iconic tune for inane NPCs thats for your gang)

The slow pacing of the story really really wears me out and there's nothing compelling in the mini stories and save for the one in the desert, they are more of a hurdle you have to get over, hit it and quit it (specially the romance one with the herb garden that really made me hate everyone involved). The slow pacing and amount of unimportant episodes makes it take forever to get to Alltrades/Dharma, about close to half-way through the game and its the sole reason keeping me from replaying it. The class system I feel its worse, you're now in a race for the advanced class, instead of diversifying your characters strenghts with multiple intermediate classes of your choice, you're now locked with one path and the intermediate classes were made a tad weaker in order to pass on that power to the advanced classes, then the 3ds makes it worse by not telling you retain what you have learned in your class building path until the end when you get your skills back, so you master your first intermediate class and now you have to switch back to a basic one and basically lose a lot of offensive options while getting hit hard by your now much lower stats so, save for the last few battles when you're about to master your intermediate class, you feel like a wet paper bag until the end of the game which is when you start reaching the advanced class and the game gives you back your skills.

The party isn't really likeable, Maribel is what you'd get if Best Wife Debora wasn't funny or charming, Ser Mervyn is far more likable in the remake but in PSX I remember back then feeling off-put by this awkward old man joining the kids, Gabo is just there the remake also improves him solely due to the wolf he now comes with. The remakes felt kinda rushed and unpolished, they removed the temple at the beginning which, yeah it steals a good chunk of your game time, but it did such a good job in setting the atmosphere of mystery, that's what I really liked about VII, the mystery behind this world and what lies beyond and how did it end up like this, it didn't translate properly to the 3ds version. 

Whew, really went on a rant there, I apologize for that! I'll add a tl;dr at the top.

Edited by dreamtrain