Sign in to follow this  
Hecatomb

Your least fav dragon quest game?

31 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I’m mocking it hyperbolically because I know it’s considered a terrible game aside from Triple Triad.

I’ve actually heard multiple rumors and guesses about why it hasn’t gotten any sort of clean port, the most popular one being that the gold master is lost.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, Hecatomb said:
people are saying 7 and 8, do you mean dq7 on ps1 or 3ds? Or 8 on PS2 or 3ds? 

They're obviously talking about their least favorite FFs.

I'm actually liking the 3ds version of DQ7 more then the ps1 version. Seems like its just a lot faster game then the ps1 version 

There was pluses and minuses to the 3DS version.   I don't like the changes they made to the beginning of the game.   And the job system.  But a lot of other stuff is good.

Least favorite - DQ IX by a big margin.

6 minutes ago, Red Dragon said:

Least favorite - DQ IX by a big margin.

I0hxJwS.gif

Currently the most over-used term in gaming: "it's a love letter to..."

Stardew Valley is a love letter to Harvest Moon.

This game I'm reviewing on Steam is a love letter to turn-based old games like Chrono Trigger.

and so on...

Dragon Quest XI is the Dark Souls of JRPGs.
  • Like 2

Least favorite is 10 because it's a MMORPG and we never got it and never will.

For DQ7 3DS, I really liked it. Moreso than the PS1 version, I think.

Why?

DmhVurmX4AA33L0.jpg

1 hour ago, Fates said:

Least favorite is 10 because it's a MMORPG and we never got it and never will.

For DQ7 3DS, I really liked it. Moreso than the PS1 version, I think.

Why?

DmhVurmX4AA33L0.jpg

That’s a face only eal could love.

1 hour ago, Sackchief said:

Dragon Quest XI is the Dark Souls of JRPGs.

Ironically, it’s quite the opposite.

The Crash Bandicoot review has become a meme, but my favorite “Darks Souls of...” headline is, “The Influence of Dark Souls on Avengers: Infinity War Is Hard To Ignore” by Paste Magazine

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eal said:

The Crash Bandicoot review has become a meme, but my favorite “Darks Souls of...” headline is, “The Influence of Dark Souls on Avengers: Infinity War Is Hard To Ignore” by Paste Magazine

This video shows how rampant its gotten.

If a publication ever compares anything to Dark Souls again, I will never take them seriously.

1. Haha, Paste. As in they ate a lot of it before writing.

2. I've not heard of this Dark Souls of stuff. Other than what I see here all I read is RPGamer and it's pretty formal writing there.

7 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

1. Haha, Paste. As in they ate a lot of it before writing.

2. I've not heard of this Dark Souls of stuff. Other than what I see here all I read is RPGamer and it's pretty formal writing there.

Basically it’s reviewers comparing something difficult/a difficult game to the Dark Souls game, hence the “Dark Souls of...” jokes.

When the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy came out, it was called the “Dark Souls of platformers.”

Least favorite game...? Oh, heck, I'd probably say II, for the sheer slog of completion. I'm not the biggest fan of VI's ending, as I like romance and hate attempts to thwart it when they serve no real purpose.

My least favorite spinoff is Builders, mostly because I've never played it, which is also true of Swords, but that game has a certain cute girl in it.

On 9/20/2018 at 6:47 AM, eal said:

The anime fandom equivalent is “deconstruction,” which is just a blanket term to describe a show that does a genre in a different way. Madoka Magica is considered a deconstruction of the magical girl genre, Re:Zero is one for the isekai genre, Neon Genesis Evangelion and mecha, etc.

Technically, deconstruction is a thing where they take genre conventions and swap in failure and misery, because somebody decided that it was a worthwhile endeavor to take something well-liked and ruin it. NGE is in fact a destruction because the majority of its main cast suffers from some kind of pathology, people fail in the clutch, etc.

You're absolutely right about the term being overused and washed out -- my favorite is My Hero Academia, which is one of the most unambiguously heroic things in years, but people call it a deconstruction because it actually worldbuilds and gives actions significant consequences.

On 9/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, AustNerevar said:
On 9/19/2018 at 6:30 PM, Plattym3 said:

And honestly Dragon Quest Builders is my least favorite spin off. Tough to say that, but every other spin off I've played and beaten, including more than a couple imports. Sure, I had fun with Builders, but we're going into 2 full years and I have it on 2 systems and am completely uninterested in finishing chapter 3.

Guys I...I think we have to kill Platty.

His level's too high. We'd get creamed in the first round.

Probably going to get crucified for this, but there's something about VIII that always felt weirdly lackluster and disappointing to me given how gorgeous and grand it was.

His level's too high. We'd get creamed in the first round.

High level, high AGL. You'd not get in a hit.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

High level, high AGL. You'd not get in a hit.

Yangus knows Hatchet Man!

4 hours ago, JLG said:

Probably going to get crucified for this, but there's something about VIII that always felt weirdly lackluster and disappointing to me given how gorgeous and grand it was.

It's remarkably linear, Jessica is underdeveloped and Medea is poorly integrated into the story, Rhapthorne is a ridiculous villain who has nothing to do with anything, the scenery is gorgeous but can be empty in patches, that sort of thing? (I'll throw in VIII's mildly anti-religious strain gratis).

Edited by JaybirdC

5 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Technically, deconstruction is a thing where they take genre conventions and swap in failure and misery, because somebody decided that it was a worthwhile endeavor to take something well-liked and ruin it. NGE is in fact a destruction because the majority of its main cast suffers from some kind of pathology, people fail in the clutch, etc.

You're absolutely right about the term being overused and washed out -- my favorite is My Hero Academia, which is one of the most unambiguously heroic things in years, but people call it a deconstruction because it actually worldbuilds and gives actions significant consequences.

I agree with you on Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was just using it as an example of a show that is called a deconstruction.

The new thing I’m seeing for My Hero Academia now is this weird thing where everyone says it reminds them of American comic books that they used to read growing up. This is a subjective thing and I don’t wanna take away from what people feel they’ve experienced, but I personally don’t see it. Rarely a day goes by where I’m not reading either a comic or a manga. I 100% feel like it’s a normal manga with a comic book aesthetic on the cover, and All Might, of course. Actually, MHA reminds me more of that live action  Disney movie Sky High now that I think about it.

I think Stain is the only aspect of MHA that makes me think of comics, and he reminds me of edgelord ‘90s comics like Spawn.

19 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Yangus knows Hatchet Man!

Sorry, I invested in Scythes, not axes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eal said:

I agree with you on Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was just using it as an example of a show that is called a deconstruction.

The new thing I’m seeing for My Hero Academia now is this weird thing where everyone says it reminds them of American comic books that they used to read growing up. This is a subjective thing and I don’t wanna take away from what people feel they’ve experienced, but I personally don’t see it. Rarely a day goes by where I’m not reading either a comic or a manga. I 100% feel like it’s a normal manga with a comic book aesthetic on the cover, and All Might, of course. Actually, MHA reminds me more of that live action  Disney movie Sky High now that I think about it.

I think Stain is the only aspect of MHA that makes me think of comics, and he reminds me of edgelord ‘90s comics like Spawn.

I'd say they were talking about how comic books abandoned general adventures for more soap operatic drama, but that's been a trend since the 70s at least, so who knows? It's got a very similar premise to Sky High, but without the ubiquitous, cloying Hollywood cliches.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Sorry, I invested in Scythes, not axes. 

[Yangus missed.]

[Jaybird does 1 damage to Plattym3.]

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

False.

828f18ef385f584e6c629d83929bc8bc.jpg

I was talking emotionally, but that works.

Edited by JaybirdC

dragon quest 8 characters have more personality then most of the other dragon quest characters

dragon quest 1- 0 personality, saves the world

dragon quest 2 characters have also like no personality

dragon quest 3 characters had 0 personality. 

it wasn't even till dragon quest 4 they added some personality. Then some people who like dragon quest 9 also have to face facts that your party members also have 0-personality

Edited by Hecatomb

Of the mainline games I'd have to say DQ1 is my least favorite. It just really hasn't aged well and I can never seem to make myself finish it.

Out of the very few spinoffs I've played (Joker 1 and 2, Rocket Slime, Builders and Fortune Street) I guess I'd have to say builders. I really want to like it but it just can't seem to hold my interest for very long.

Of the mainline games I guess my least favorite would be......

DQVI (DS) 

Since it’s the only mainline DQ game I have yet to finish/beat. I stopped playing around the 20+ hour mark and just never picked it up again. One day I will start all over and finally beat it but when that day comes I’m not so sure.

As for my least favorite spin-off that I have played it would probably be DQWars for the DSi. Since the game is not my style of game. Just can’t get into it.

• Like 1

Even though I beat it twice, I still don't like DQ2 (except for it's awesome soundtrack)