Sign in to follow this  
Hecatomb

Your least fav dragon quest game?

Ive played a ton of dragon quest games, though I could never get into torneko the last hope. Some reason the game just didn't feel right. 

If we’re talking mainline, DQVI probably. Spinoffs included, Swords for Wii takes this one.

Dq 7 no doubt about it 

Main: DQI

Spin-off: DQ Wars

Main games...well, most everyone knows my answer already, but Dragon Quest IX.

Spin off wise, Joker 1.

Mainline:  Dragon Quest VIII 

Felt like a massive backstep after DQVII

11 minutes ago, Megalosaro said:

Mainline:  Dragon Quest VIII 

Felt like a massive backstep after DQVII

I’ve never heard this opinion before. I’m really interested in reading some more about your thoughts.

And honestly Dragon Quest Builders is my least favorite spin off. Tough to say that, but every other spin off I've played and beaten, including more than a couple imports. Sure, I had fun with Builders, but we're going into 2 full years and I have it on 2 systems and am completely uninterested in finishing chapter 3.

And honestly Dragon Quest Builders is my least favorite spin off. Tough to say that, but every other spin off I've played and beaten, including more than a couple imports. Sure, I had fun with Builders, but we're going into 2 full years and I have it on 2 systems and am completely uninterested in finishing chapter 3.
Guys I...I think we have to kill Platty.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I can see why you’d say that. I have it for the PS4 and bought the Swith version, but I just don’t really have a drive to go back and finish it on PS4.

Same with doing post game stuff in Heroes 1 or continuing Heroes 2. I definitely like Builders WAAAAY more than the Heroes games, though.

2 hours ago, eal said:

I’ve never heard this opinion before. I’m really interested in reading some more about your thoughts.

It's not that I dislike VIII.  It's quite good.    But I was underwhelmed by a lot of it.  Coming from DQVII, it felt like a step back for the series.  It's a gorgeous game, but I didn't like the US release.  I hated the new menus.  I didn't care for the cast, except for Trode.  The town vignettes weren't that great, especially coming from VII.   

Dragon Quest Builders is one of my favorite spinoffs lol. It’s a love letter to the first game, there’s little not to like.

Currently the most over-used term in gaming: "it's a love letter to..."

Stardew Valley is a love letter to Harvest Moon.

This game I'm reviewing on Steam is a love letter to turn-based old games like Chrono Trigger.

and so on...

20 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Currently the most over-used term in gaming: "it's a love letter to..."

Stardew Valley is a love letter to Harvest Moon.

This game I'm reviewing on Steam is a love letter to turn-based old games like Chrono Trigger.

and so on...

The anime fandom equivalent is “deconstruction,” which is just a blanket term to describe a show that does a genre in a different way. Madoka Magica is considered a deconstruction of the magical girl genre, Re:Zero is one for the isekai genre, Neon Genesis Evangelion and mecha, etc.

It’s frustrating because it seems like the only way people will talk about a show is in how it “deconstructs” the genre it’s in.

Edited by eal

The anime fandom equivalent is “deconstruction,” which is just a blanket term to describe a show that does a genre in a different way. Madoka Magica is considered a deconstruction of the magical girl genre, Re:Zero is one for the isekai genre, Neon Genesis Evangelion and mecha, etc.
It’s frustrating because it seems like the only way people will talk about a show is in how it “deconstructs” the genre it’s in.
Similar to deconstructed in cooking shows and cuisine. Too lazy to bake? Throw some pastry and cooked down apples on a plate and call it "deconstructed apple pie". I see this all the time from contestants on all the Gordon Ramsay shows I watch. More often than not, it's just a mess on the plate with everything that should blend perfectly together sitting lonely and apart on a big plate.

people are saying 7 and 8, do you mean dq7 on ps1 or 3ds? Or 8 on PS2 or 3ds? 
They're obviously talking about their least favorite FFs.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

They're obviously talking about their least favorite FFs.

BUT FINAL PHANTASY 7 IS TEH BEST RPG EVUURRRRR!!!! BLARGLE BLARGLE BLARGE ROBBLE ROBBLE!

No opinion on FF8, but I want to play it just to see where I fall on the love/hate it debate.

No opinion on FF8, but I want to play it just to see where I fall on the love/hate it debate.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:

It’s so weird to see you post anything music related. Who are you and what have you done to my Twinsie?!?!

11 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well, Square Enix certainly isn’t making it very easy for you now are they?

1 minute ago, eal said:

Well, Square Enix certainly isn’t making it very easy for you now are they?

I have the PS1 classic version on my Vita, so eventually I’ll play it.

I have found the memes funny about how nearly every FF game is coming to multiple consoles, while Squall/FF8 is crying in the corner.

28 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

BUT FINAL PHANTASY 7 IS TEH BEST RPG EVUURRRRR!!!! BLARGLE BLARGLE BLARGE ROBBLE ROBBLE!

I didn't play FFVIII until around 2008.

The game is gloriously broken.   The characters and story are whatever.  But man, I love how borked the battle system is.  Drawing is legit.  Triple triad is legit.

It's a step back from FFVII but it's worth checking out.

16 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I have the PS1 classic version on my Vita, so eventually I’ll play it.

I have found the memes funny about how nearly every FF game is coming to multiple consoles, while Squall/FF8 is crying in the corner.

Like I think like every possible non-MMO FF game before VIII is being ported to Switch except VIII.

It’s so weird to see you post anything music related. Who are you and what have you done to my Twinsie?!?!
I'm actually really really like music, but I'm mainly into country, 80s, 90s, and Pop Rock, which never really pop up in video games.
Like I think like every possible non-MMO FF game before VIII is being ported to Switch except VIII.
https://rpgamer.com/2018/09/final-fantasy-viii-likely-isnt-forgotten-but-needs-more-work-to-re-release/