Dakhil

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition is more beautiful than ever and coming to #NintendoSwitch and #PlayStation 4 in 2019!  

Well, I guess my interest on Nintendo Switch Online went from "not interested" to "potentially interested". But in all seriousness, it's great to see this game on the Nintendo Switch and the PlayStation 4 since I enjoyed playing this game on the Nintendo GameCube.

Edited by Dakhil

That's actually one of my favourite GC titles.  Very underrated.  The co-op play was so enjoyable, even if it meant enemies were given a noticeable bump in stats. 

I remember the original being covered in Nintendo Power and it catching my eye. I never got the game and wouldn’t have had the chance to even do any multiplayer stuff, so I’m interested in this remaster.

Thank you so much for the quick reply. I had been under the impression that the Crystal Chronicles remake would also be physical, but does that mean it's only digital since you only listed two upcoming titles?

Sorry for all the questions.

Hello Jonathan,

Yes, for NA it is digital only

https://twitter.com/JPSwitchMania/status/1040398332902957058

Well, I guess I'm importing from Amazon Japan (only if the physical Japanese copy supports English like with Ōkami HD on the Nintendo Switch).

Edited by Dakhil

Maybe the 90 other Final Fantasy Switch ports they announced will be physical?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eal said:

So far, only 2 Final Fantasy ports are confirmed to have a physical release.

https://twitter.com/JPSwitchMania/status/1040386604874051585

Hello Jonathan,

Please note that there may be differences between NA and EU physical/digital. 

For North America's release, the below will be available physical for Nintendo Switch:

FINAL FANTASY X / X-2

FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE

Edited by Dakhil

16 minutes ago, eal said:

After seeing all the FF games that are being ported, I told myself “Don’t rebuy ones you already have elsewhere.” But with FF9 I saw it and thought, “....Ok, MAYBE one exception since I really like that one, but otherwise no rebuying.”

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition-launches-january-23-2020

FFCC-Remastered-Edition_09-08-19.jpg

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and iOS and Android devices worldwide on January 23, 2020, Square Enix announced.

In Japan, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition will be available both physically and digitally for PlayStation 4 and Switch for 4,800 yen, and for iOS via the App Store and Android via Google Play for 2,800 yen. The iOS and Android versions can be downloaded and played for free to a certain extent.

New features in the Remastered Edition include:

• Online multiplayer for up to four players.
  • Play across different platforms with the cross-play function.
  • Transfer save data across platforms with the cross-progressive function (via)
  • Added challenging new post-game dungeons and bosses.
  • Added new variant character skins for each tribe.
  • Added new items to equip.
  • Newly recorded theme songs "Kaze no Ne" and "Hoshizukiyo" by Yae.
  • Newly recorded narration.
  • Newly recorded character voices.

Here is a brief overview of the game, via Square Enix:

Long ago, a giant meteorite fell on the land, and deadly miasma blanketed the world. Crystals keep the miasma in check, but the crystals' power is not eternal. Young adventurers embark on a journey once a year seeking "drops of myrrh" to purify the crystals. These are the chronicles of brave young adventurers who journey to protect their home. These are the "Crystal Chronicles."

Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots and the official Japanese box art at the gallery.

English

Japanese

Edited by Dakhil

Nintendo’s never-ending quest to port and remaster every game that ever came out onto the Switch marches onward.

• Like 1

Pretty excited for this. In middle school I played this game a ton with a couple other friends at the time and pulled a lot of late nights playing it. I set aside some money to buy three Switch copies for them as a late Christmas present. We are already making plans for that weekened to play it nonstop. A bit sad that it looks like the US won't get a physical release. But I can look passed that.

Half tempted to pick up the android version as well since it has cross save support.

4 hours ago, eal said:

Nintendo’s never-ending quest to port and remaster every game that ever came out onto the Switch marches onward.

They started by wanting people to forget about the failure that was the Wii U. Now they are going for the world.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

They started by wanting people to forget about the failure that was the Wii U. Now they are going for the world.

Part of it is that the Switch is the new hotness and every publisher wants a piece of it, but not that many AAA games can run well on it, so they’re dumping Doom 64 and Jedi Academy on it and a bunch of other older games onto it. Like, the Switch could never handle FF XV so they made a version unique to mobile and Switch.

Just now, eal said:

Like, the Switch could never handle FF XV so they made a version unique to mobile and Switch.

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was also released on PlayStation 4, XBOX One, and PC. I've heard that Square Enix developed Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition to recoup the development costs of Final Fantasy XV (considering how long Final Fantasy XV has been delayed), but I could be hearing things wrong.

17 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition was also released on PlayStation 4, XBOX One, and PC. I've heard that Square Enix developed Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition to recoup the development costs of Final Fantasy XV (considering how long Final Fantasy XV has been delayed), but I could be hearing things wrong.

I could replace that example with Devil May Cry 1 and now 2 in lieu of DMC5 (and yes, I know the HD collection is on other consoles).

No version of FFXV would get me to play FFXV.  Final Fantasy games past the 10th entry is where I lose interest in trying any of them.

• Like 1

No version of FFXV would get me to play FFXV.  Final Fantasy games past the 10th entry is where I lose interest in trying any of them.
But I mean, you're all about X-2, right?

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
16 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

But I mean, you're all about X-2, right?

For the idol pop music stuff? Hell no.

For the really good turn based combat and mechanics? Hell yes.

A friend at work told me he played X-2 and kept going because the gameplay itself was so damn good. He said the dress sphere system was fun to customize and try out, and that the way monster captures work means you can get to some battles going.

• Like 1

I think FFXII is pretty good and holds up pretty well. The problem with FFXV was the brain dead mechanics and the story being incomplete. Bit of a shame since I think contemporary fantasy is great. Also the idea of a road trip RPG sounded cool. Wish I could say better things passed that.

FFX-2 had the best combat from all other FF games. Just gotta ignore the story lol

I think FFXII is pretty good and holds up pretty well. The problem with FFXV was the brain dead mechanics and the story being incomplete. Bit of a shame since I think contemporary fantasy is great. Also the idea of a road trip RPG sounded cool. Wish I could say better things passed that.
FFX-2 had the best combat from all other FF games. Just gotta ignore the story lol
But FFXII just plays its... nope, won't got there.

I really did enjoy FFX, glad to hear good things about FFX-2 even though it's completely different!

24 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

But FFXII just plays its... nope, won't got there. emoji12.png

I never said I wasn't lazy lol

• Like 1

Damn it. 

They need to go ahead and put a pause on releasing awesome games while I take a few years to catch up. 

• Like 1

Below is an article for Crystal Chronicles Remastered:

spacer.png

“Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition’s producer Ryoma Araki, character designer Toshiyuki Itahana, and composer Hidenori Iwasaki had an interview earlier this month at TGS 2019, where they talked about new art and rearranged music, as well as why remaster instead of remake, and more. [Thanks, 4Gamer!]

Here are the highlights:

*Producer Ryoma Araki originally played Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles as a regular consumer, as he was a game designer working at a different studio on another GameCube game, and he remembers being flabbergasted at how the game really used the specs behind the console.

*Designer Toshiyuki Itahana mentions that the reason why the characters of Crystal Chronicles look a bit generic is because of the multiplayer and character creation aspects of the game. Essentially, it wasn’t a game about detailing the individual heroes, as would be in a mainline game. While he considered whether to redo the designs for the remaster, some staff mentioned they’d like to recreate the designs they used in the original game, so instead one new male and one new female design have been added to each race respectively.

*Regarding music, composer Hidenori Iwasaki mentions that the remaster wasn’t originally going to have rearranged tracks, but they went for it when Iwasaki called Araki out one day and said, “Hey, I have this on hand.” The original game is known for its music, but as there were hardware limitations, there were some tracks that couldn’t be added in, which will be added in in the remaster.

*Dungeons originally in Crystal Chronicles will keep the old music, while new dungeons have newly composed tracks for them.

*Iwasaki jokes that during the planning phases for the original game, a planner suggested to go with a techno music direction, but was promptly ignored.

*One of the big additions to Remastered Edition is the inclusion of cross-platform online play, which wasn’t possible back then. Itahana mentions that they still get photos from overseas fans showing that they managed to assemble the 4-player setup of connecting multiple Game Boy Advances.

*The console and smartphone versions will have different UI. For multiplayer, you don’t need to wait in a lobby, as players will show up when they join naturally as you advance. They also reiterated that cross-platform saves are a feature for the Remastered Edition.

*Extra difficult “alternate” dungeons have been added as well, which change up the atmosphere and appearing enemies in existing dungeons. It’s meant for endgame multiplayer content after beating the main game’s dungeons, and is balanced as such, although it’s not impossible to do it solo. The new dungeons will drop new weapon recipes for newly designed weapons by Itahana. Over 10 new tracks have been composed for the new dungeons.

*Why not remake the game? Araki mentions that this was an option, but he felt it had to be a remaster for Crystal Chronicles, in order to show to the fans (including himself) that Crystal Chronicles was truly back. Because he played it as a regular player back then, Araki has made sure to change the game in areas that needed updating to modern standards.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Remastered Edition will come to the Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, and mobile devices on January 23, 2020. Square Enix also noted that these features that involve going online could eventually be discontinued sometime in the future. You can read more about crossplay and cross-saves here.”

Read more at https://www.siliconera.com/2019/09/29/final-fantasy-crystal-chronicles-remastered-edition-producer-on-rearranged-tracks-why-not-remake-and-more/

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit