Sign in to follow this  
muddy120

How Well do you think Dragon Quest XI is doing?

It’s way too early to even consider making a guess. The week hasn’t even ended, let alone the month! There is no no info that could help us estimate any better then we could have before it came out. I think it’s fair to say that Spider-Man gimped sales and directed the conversation towards that game, but that’s the extent of my guess.

I need to know: why do you care so passionately about this particular thing? The game is out! Play it instead of worrying about the sales.

2 hours ago, muddy120 said:

So how well do you think the game did worldwide outside of japan in America and Europe.

Horrible.  Haven't heard about it. What game are you speaking of?

1 hour ago, eal said:

It’s way too early to even consider making a guess. The week hasn’t even ended, let alone the month! There is no no info that could help us estimate any better then we could have before it came out. I think it’s fair to say that Spider-Man gimped sales and directed the conversation towards that game, but that’s the extent of my guess.

I need to know: why do you care so passionately about this particular thing? The game is out! Play it instead of worrying about the sales.

It wouldn’t be muddy if he didn’t make a sales/popularity topic. It’s his schtick, like yours is anime stuff and mine is Etrian Odyssey/Atlus.

Also:

517D92E3-9F56-4A9F-A4C7-02D0C43E4848.jpeg.c15d190e8d5c423f5a43bdda5be0e917.jpeg

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It wouldn’t be muddy if he didn’t make a sales/popularity topic. It’s his schtick, like yours is anime stuff and mine is Etrian Odyssey/Atlus.

Also:

517D92E3-9F56-4A9F-A4C7-02D0C43E4848.jpeg.c15d190e8d5c423f5a43bdda5be0e917.jpeg

You know it, and it wouldn't be eal without freaking out over my posts and overanalyzing my intentions for making them, haha. And nice spidey, meme.

Edited by muddy120
  • Like 1

Well the CE is on a waiting list. In other words, gone.

If Steamspy is accurate (dubious but possible ballpark figure) it has sold 50-100K.

Sounds promising.

3 hours ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Well the CE is on a waiting list. In other words, gone.

If Steamspy is accurate (dubious but possible ballpark figure) it has sold 50-100K.

Sounds promising.

Steam hit 10k for cocurrent players aka playing at the same time thats pretty good for a steam game.  Bare in mind steamspy only counted public profiles. and since valve made that change to profiles, steamspy changed how things work hence the range.

Edited by sounderfan84

Me being the curious fellow I am I checked my local Walmart and GameStop. Walmart had two copies left and GameStop was sold out. Don’t know if they sold well or didn’t order many at all.

9 minutes ago, AzureVoid said:

Me being the curious fellow I am I checked my local Walmart and GameStop. Walmart had two copies left and GameStop was sold out. Don’t know if they sold well or didn’t order many at all.

I was actually in a Walmart today and they had two copies of Dragon Quest XI. But they also had two whole slots being used for Spider-Man. So I’m inclined to believe that they just didn’t order many.

40 minutes ago, eal said:

I was actually in a Walmart today and they had two copies of Dragon Quest XI. But they also had two whole slots being used for Spider-Man. So I’m inclined to believe that they just didn’t order many.

That is so very unfortunate. I had higher hopes haha.

23 minutes ago, AzureVoid said:

That is so very unfortunate. I had higher hopes haha.

I mean, don’t take me as gospel, but it really can go either way. I remember a different Walmart that had like a dozen copies of DQ VIII 3DS for months. GameStop after GameStop with clearance stickers on DQ VII. Who knows.

I've also been getting confusing info. DQ topped the global and American Steam charts for about 24 hours then fell down to third place the next day. However Steamspy estimates only 50,000 - 100,000 sold. In guessing that Steamspy just has inaccurate numbers. Wouldn't be the first time.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I've also been getting confusing info. DQ topped the global and American Steam charts for about 24 hours then fell down to third place the next day. However Steamspy estimates only 50,000 - 100,000 sold. In guessing that Steamspy just has inaccurate numbers. Wouldn't be the first time.

I was tracking the position of DQ11 on Steam based on the most popular sales leading into release.  It wasn't doing so hot for the days I was checking.  Literally like page 22 or 24.  It was at the top of the JRPG list the entire time from e3 onward when I checked, but that isn't saying much as JRPG's generally don't sell well on Steam compared to WRPG's.

For a period of time...and I do mean a SHOCKING period of several days, DQ11 disappeared off PSN's lists.  You could find it with a full game search, or linked to via certain other similar games, like Heroes 2.  However for New or Hot games, it wasn't present anywhere.  Meaning Sony #$*!ed up royally.  The other major issue is SE never bothered to actively pay for PSN promotion.  I saw Spidey, Divinity II, Fallout 76, and a few others promoted actively, but only for one week after e3 was DQ11 promoted.  It was near the top of the list at the time too, like literally number 4 for that period.  Then they dropped promoting it directly and it went to number 11, then 20, then 24, and stayed around 22~30 in the general lists, but for pre-orders within the top 11, and always on the pre-order page, sometimes near the front.  So in overall sales not great, in pre-order counts seemingly well until about two weeks ago when it started dropping from popularity.

As for Gamestop, it was doing pretty well in their lists, and near the end it went to the top of the list for a few days, literally right before the release day.  I don't get that with GS, and it's hard to gauge real sales, but that's good.  Spidey was near the top for the month leading up to that point though, as was KH3.

Amazon was shockingly decent, staying consistently in the top 10 slots, usually between 4 and 7 in PS4, then dropping to 10~12 for a bit a few weeks ago, and after that I stopped checking.

That said, while we can see tracking based on popularity, it's not like we're given real numbers to go on, as in those periods it could be tons of sales, or #$*! sales for all games and DQ11 happened to be higher in those periods.

We'll have to see when it releases.

8 hours ago, sounderfan84 said:

Bare in mind steamspy only counted public profiles. and since valve made that change to profiles, steamspy changed how things work hence the range.

So if you count non-public profiles, more than likely even better sales?

And what valve was changed? Last time I needed valves changed it cost me a buttload of money.

5 hours ago, ignasia said:

I was tracking the position of DQ11 on Steam based on the most popular sales leading into release.  It wasn't doing so hot for the days I was checking.  Literally like page 22 or 24.  It was at the top of the JRPG list the entire time from e3 onward when I checked, but that isn't saying much as JRPG's generally don't sell well on Steam compared to WRPG's.

For a period of time...and I do mean a SHOCKING period of several days, DQ11 disappeared off PSN's lists.  You could find it with a full game search, or linked to via certain other similar games, like Heroes 2.  However for New or Hot games, it wasn't present anywhere.  Meaning Sony #$*!ed up royally.  The other major issue is SE never bothered to actively pay for PSN promotion.  I saw Spidey, Divinity II, Fallout 76, and a few others promoted actively, but only for one week after e3 was DQ11 promoted.  It was near the top of the list at the time too, like literally number 4 for that period.  Then they dropped promoting it directly and it went to number 11, then 20, then 24, and stayed around 22~30 in the general lists, but for pre-orders within the top 11, and always on the pre-order page, sometimes near the front.  So in overall sales not great, in pre-order counts seemingly well until about two weeks ago when it started dropping from popularity.

As for Gamestop, it was doing pretty well in their lists, and near the end it went to the top of the list for a few days, literally right before the release day.  I don't get that with GS, and it's hard to gauge real sales, but that's good.  Spidey was near the top for the month leading up to that point though, as was KH3.

Amazon was shockingly decent, staying consistently in the top 10 slots, usually between 4 and 7 in PS4, then dropping to 10~12 for a bit a few weeks ago, and after that I stopped checking.

That said, while we can see tracking based on popularity, it's not like we're given real numbers to go on, as in those periods it could be tons of sales, or #$*! sales for all games and DQ11 happened to be higher in those periods.

We'll have to see when it releases.

Amazon had it as high as #3 just last week in PS4 releases. It was around 12 or 13 for overall in video games. It slipped to 4th for PS4 games, then 8th, where it has been a couple days. It is currently at 40 for all video games.

Was there ever any rumor on the number of Colletor's Editions made? All I know is that they are gone.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure all the hardcore fans already got it. I am waiting for the Switch version myself but I think most people don't care for that version too much.

What's left now is the fact that there's a wonderful newbie-friendly and AAA quality Dragon Quest game for newcomers in the west to try out. With digital distribution it's easy to find and download. I hope in the coming years more people of all ages get to try DQ11 and maybe become fans.

Edited by wiregu

6 hours ago, redneckpride4ever said:

So if you count non-public profiles, more than likely even better sales?

And what valve was changed? Last time I needed valves changed it cost me a buttload of money.

It changed how profiles are done and made some automatically set as private. Steamspy works on public profiles.  Its useless if everyone is set to private.

Possible even better sales. Hence the range of 50-100k Its a rough range guess to include possible public and private profiles.

Btw its still #2 in top selling on steam. It was top seller for a couple days it seem for the time being settled as #2. 10th in global says.

I say thats pretty good for Dragon quest.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, sounderfan84 said:

steamspy for DQ11 just updated the rnage for Dq11 its now says 100k to 200k

When are we gonna know PS4 sales info, its been two weeks, do you know?

It was #2 in the UK for a week, beaten only by the behemoth that is Spider-Man, but then it dropped down to about #30 the next week. It really annoys me how Sony hid it away on PSN. It was practically invisible on there, it didn't even show up in the Recommended For You section even though I play a load of JRPGs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teclo said:

It was #2 in the UK for a week, beaten only by the behemoth that is Spider-Man, but then it dropped down to about #30 the next week. It really annoys me how Sony hid it away on PSN. It was practically invisible on there, it didn't even show up in the Recommended For You section even though I play a load of JRPGs. 

In the US its doing really well on PSN, and it passed 100k on steam like mentioned above

On 9/21/2018 at 9:08 AM, sounderfan84 said:

no idea.

Btw does steamspy show worldwide Steam sales or just in the US?

21 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

In the US its doing really well on PSN, and it passed 100k on steam like mentioned above

Btw does steamspy show worldwide Steam sales or just in the US?

worldwide.

On 9/22/2018 at 1:00 PM, sounderfan84 said:

worldwide.

Looks like it went back down on steam, I guess people refunded the game to push it back

On 9/22/2018 at 5:59 AM, Teclo said:

There was also a period of nearly 5 days where the game didn't show up on any list except for the total list of games, or if linked to through related games, like Heroes 2 (but not Heroes 1 for some reason, or Builders).

Not sure what happened.  Plus SE failed to pay to promote the game, as it was never on the "What's Hot." section.  It's just ludicrous seeing Spider-Man and then Lara Croft's face.  Maybe Sony requires a heavy price tag? 

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 2