Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

***dammit

My progress is a little slower going that I anticipated, but I'm still having a great time with the game. I'm reminding myself time and again not to rush it, and to enjoy every little bit of the experience. I have about 12 hours logged, and just got to the first Desert city (can't remember the name). Digging the fact that I've got four party members now.

On 9/16/2018 at 4:11 AM, Votkrath said:

Serena has less HP but can at least use a shield.

Yeah, and she can also heal and has full party buffs.

• Upvote 1

YES! Tentacular defeated!

bNrjYfP.jpg

I managed to win with MopTopMo, Sylvando, Erik, and Rab as my party on attempt #2! Getting the cannon from Lonalulu really helps, as it gives you some time at the beginning of the fight to prep your stat boosts and whatnot. VERY helpful when playing with tougher enemies!

Gonna quit for the night, but man, really happy I managed to beat him on attempt #2 without having to do ridiculous amounts grinding again!

I can't believe nobody told me about the cannon.

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I figured there must have been some way to get a cannon (again, looking at you character trailer for DQ11) and when the NPCs started mentioning the crazy cannon lady I figured this was the place. Thankfully I thought about it after my 1st failure/while at work today and after ethanej confirmed it was possible to get one, BOOM GOES THE CANNON!

20 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Look at it this way Aust: next time you play the game you’ll know to get the cannon, and whenever Aust Jr. is old enough to play DQ11 you can be sure he gets it on his first playthrough and show Tentacular what for.

Look at it this way Aust: next time you play the game you’ll know to get the cannon, and whenever Aust Jr. is old enough to play DQ11 you can be sure he gets it on his first playthrough and show Tentacular what for.
Gotta admit, I am pretty excited to introduce him to video games when he's old enough. DQ will be among the first ones I show him.

Gotta admit, I am pretty excited to introduce him to video games when he's old enough. DQ will be among the first ones I show him.
My 2 enjoy DQ. Last night was the first time my oldest wanted to play XI over Heroes. Good times! 2b23a2c5c708448252e3f62238a5efa9.jpg
  • Like 3

Got a couple hours into the post game last night. While There appears to be plenty of content to complete, and I'm sure that content will be fun, I have words for how poorly written the extra plot is. It's been a while since I've had the urge to yell at my TV over a video game.

Got a couple hours into the post game last night. While There appears to be plenty of content to complete, and I'm sure that content will be fun, I have words for how poorly written the extra plot is. It's been a while since I've had the urge to yell at my TV over a video game.
Grammatically or narratively?

19 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Grammatically or narratively?

Narratively 

Finished off the Lonalulu story. It was sad, don’t get me wrong, but honestly it didn’t get me choked up like the Dundrasil story did.

Trying to keep my post spoiler-free: I am playing the Steam version and I just got the Master of the Skies Achievement. I think there are some extra challenges to complete before I go onto the final boss. Not sure on post game stuff yet as there are no guides going as far as I have yet.

Got the Green Orb! Getting it from the NPC that you do, I think I recognize their voice from the different trailers for DQ11’s western release.

Now to take the boat and sail to the outer islands of the world to find the next Orb!

I’ve reached the Mini Medal location of the game. I’m not revealing the name because of spoilers, but because of how obnoxiously long the name is AND because it’s in French. I find the French accent funny in DQ games, but damn is it hard to read. I’m probably alone on that.

Also, I’m wondering something (and PLEASE, if you know the answer, do not tell me): when I was exploring after getting the green orb and went to the Sniflheim region, I noticed Erik was awfully quiet during party chat/campfire talks. Something tells me he has a history with this part of the world, but I can’t help but wonder what it is.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I’ve reached the Mini Medal location of the game. I’m not revealing the name because of spoilers, but because of how obnoxiously long the name is AND because it’s in French. I find the French accent funny in DQ games, but damn is it hard to read. I’m probably alone on that.

Also, I’m wondering something (and PLEASE, if you know the answer, do not tell me): when I was exploring after getting the green orb and went to the Sniflheim region, I noticed Erik was awfully quiet during party chat/campfire talks. Something tells me he has a history with this part of the world, but I can’t help but wonder what it is.
I guess a few major parts/cities ahead of you for a bit. Just got the first key and been going back everywhere to see what it opens.

And... forgot camp party chat was even a thing.

On 9/21/2018 at 10:08 AM, Plattym3 said:

My 2 enjoy DQ. Last night was the first time my oldest wanted to play XI over Heroes. Good times! 2b23a2c5c708448252e3f62238a5efa9.jpg

Might be a very odd question, but is that yours or your kid's leg sticking out?

Might be a very odd question, but is that yours or your kid's leg sticking out?
Next to the controller? That my son's hand. It's very blurry as he was pointing out monsters to his brother.

BEST GIRL. DID I MENTION JADE IS BEST GIRL

20180922190058_1.jpg

16 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

BEST GIRL. DID I MENTION JADE IS BEST GIRL

Shouldn’t your wife be your “best girl,” Aust?

Shouldn’t your wife be your “best girl,” Aust?
My wife won't wear a bunny suit and beat up slimes.

Got the silver orb! Two more to go!

Also got a cool new outfit for Rab to wear. If you paid attention to the opening cutscene of the game, you’ll know what the costume is. ;)

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I finally did it.

Stronger monsters.

No fleeing.

Reduced experience. 

I finally fricking did it.  Beat the game. This is the first final boss in dragonquest to 

Spoiler

Have two actual separate(ish) bodies and one of them be capable of reviving the other.

Dragon side is weaker to ice, easier to poison. Strange as it is to say definitely get the echo skill on Serena and have her use kacrack. Make sure you get the sage stone and have erik heal the whole party after setting up the left side for chip damage.

this one revives the demon half and removes a member for a turn to envenomate said member and knock them down

Demon side is weaker to holy and fire. Has better poison resistance.

This side completely restores MP and peps up both of them

They have a pep skill that puts a sigil under the party for a few turns to constantly damage the party. 

The other pep skill is magic burst which will almost wipe the party from above half health.

This fight is basically mass damage only and not as challenging as the one before it.  

Love the concept though.

But that wasn't as hard as the fight before that one.  That one had more focused attacks and as a note to help anyone the final boss is weak to dazzle.  So, dazzle the final boss, it helps, a lot. Both times but it doesn't help the second round. And yes you can still envenomate the final boss.  Dazzle is your friend near the end.

Also side not electric light may not be good if you do reduced experience. As it succeeded and gave me an MKS and 2 VLMS but I got NO experience.  I came across an MKS naturally and I did receive experience then.