Dragon Quest XI Progress

You’re gonna have to check on that one Platty. I’m nowhere near far enough in either version I have to find out the answer.
I don't know if I opened dual wield swords... Hmmm... Will look later.
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 2 enjoy DQ. Last night was the first time my oldest wanted to play XI over Heroes. Good times!

I kind of dig the mobile version. I’m often switching through tabs on Safari anyhow. Especially now that I know how to run it properly haha.  Also, I’m running Hero, Erik, Jade, and Rab. They’ve

I just got my team back together in act 2, doing some side-questing now. I just got the metal slime recipes from that bard in Arboria so I'm working on making new weapons and armor.   As for my e

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
Sorry, should have been more clear with that post. What I meant was can you still use the knife related skills no problem if you dual wield a sword and a knife. I’m guessing the answer is “Yes you can,” but the question just popped into my head last night.

Can you duel wield 2 different weapon types?

No. At least Erik can't. Haven't checked Sylv's dual wield yet.

I just tested it. It will only let you dual wield of the same weapon. If you try to equip another weapon it will only show you the equips that are of that weapon type.

Though I don't think it is that much of a deal breaker. If I remember right, you can change your equipment in the middle of a battle without any repercussion.

• Like 1

Yay! I finally have a full party of characters! Veronica and Serena have officially joined team MopTopMo!

I figure for Veronica I’ll focus on her staff abilities, but will dabble into whips for the status ailments. Serena will be lance focused since I’ve heard that’s a good option for her, and with those sweet harp/song abilities I’ll definitely be going for those. Looking through her harp abilities, I’m reminded of Troubadours from Etrian 1 and 2. I’m sure those skills will be a big help for bosses, especially against those who use fire and ice breath attacks.

This was the point I stopped playing the 3DS version over the summer. Now that I’ve caught up on the PS4 version, I may finish an area in English, then try and play through it on 3DS. No guarantees, but we’ll see.

Yay! I finally have a full party of characters! Veronica and Serena have officially joined team MopTopMo!
I figure for Veronica I’ll focus on her staff abilities, but will dabble into whips for the status ailments. Serena will be lance focused since I’ve heard that’s a good option for her, and with those sweet harp/song abilities I’ll definitely be going for those. Looking through her harp abilities, I’m reminded of Troubadours from Etrian 1 and 2. I’m sure those skills will be a big help for bosses, especially against those who use fire and ice breath attacks.
This was the point I stopped playing the 3DS version over the summer. Now that I’ve caught up on the PS4 version, I may finish an area in English, then try and play through it on 3DS. No guarantees, but we’ll see.
I actually thought about doing exactly that with the 3DS version as well. It was ambitious and I ended up unable to pull myself away from PS4.

Officially reached the game's second half! Everything has been a cake walk since the Dora In Grey fight (what an awful name, they didn't even give her grey attire so the pun only works one way) and I kinda wish I chose the Enemies are Stronger option at the beginning. Oomphing up my MC and using that single-target Greatsword skill is destroying everything. Between that and Erik's Victimiser, I think I killed the Sniflheim boss in 6~7 hits.

I’ve made some progress in the Gallopolis story. Sylvando is as hilarious as I thought he was going to be, the horse racing (both what you can do on your own and the one you have to do) was fun, but the enemies around the city...well, they kind of jumped in how hard they can hit. The Robber Rabbits (great name and design by the way) we’re hitting for 20 damage at minimum on everyone! Yikes! I may have to do some actual grinding for money and levels just to be safe.

Also, while I have mixed feelings towards Prince Faris, I fear for his life....cause Sylvando wants that Prince booty.

I'm thinking of dropping one of my Draconian restrictions. Either stronger enemies or reduced XP but I don't know which to lose. I'm just really tired of grinding for an hour before each boss but I don't want the game to be too easy.

Any suggestions?

18 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I'm thinking of dropping one of my Draconian restrictions. Either stronger enemies or reduced XP but I don't know which to lose. I'm just really tired of grinding for an hour before each boss but I don't want the game to be too easy.

Any suggestions?

I personally feel the enemies are too weak. I should have started with stronger enemies. Since I haven’t played Draconian my opinion might not be valid haha.

Got back to the game after not having had the chance to play for a few days... I kinda appreciate the forced solo/two character bosses. That idea is not as fully evolved as it can be, but it adds another dimension to the fighting without pulling a Final Fantasy on battles.

Edited by Votkrath
1 hour ago, AzureVoid said:

I personally feel the enemies are too weak. I should have started with stronger enemies. Since I haven’t played Draconian my opinion might not be valid haha.

That’s exactly why I started with stronger enemies. Playing the 3DS version, enemies were SOOOOOO easy to defeat it was just boring. I tried avoiding battles on purpose to give myself some kind of challenge. I really appreciate the strong enemy Draconian option, and while I’m playing it with only the no running as my other Drac. choice, I’ve felt like I’ve had a fair difficulty the whole time. The enemy may have some advantages, but I have my own thanks to skills I’m investing in. Again, it really reminds me of Etrian difficulty balance.

So to answer @AustNerevar, I say just remove the lower EXP Draconian option. Reduced EXP is never fun, so lose that one and keep the difficult enemies.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Any suggestions?

you should have played with more difficulty settings on. 

...Is it just me or does everyone in Hotto speak in haiku?

you should have played with more difficulty settings on. 
I started with more difficulty options but removed some of them. That isn't the point. I want LESS grinding, not more.
  • Like 1
...Is it just me or does everyone in Hotto speak in haiku?
You're not wrong at all.
They all do speak in haiku.
Glad that you noticed.
I started with more difficulty options but removed some of them. That isn't the point. I want LESS grinding, not more.
You want less grinding but harder?
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

You're not wrong at all.
They all do speak in haiku.
Glad that you noticed.

Saved Connie's Father

Went back to town of Hotto

looking for info

20 hours ago, BorisTheWizard said:

Everything has been a cake walk since the Dora In Grey fight (what an awful name, they didn't even give her grey attire so the pun only works one way)

The name is a reference to the legend of Dorian grey.  Guy wanted to be immortal the portrait reflected his soul throughout his life.  

1 hour ago, Nuicki said:

The name is a reference to the legend of Dorian grey.  Guy wanted to be immortal the portrait reflected his soul throughout his life.  

Yeah, I'm aware of what her name is referencing :P

That's why I said the pun only worked one way. It references something outside the game world (The Picture of Dorian Grey) and something within the game world (The color of her attire), but they couldn't be bothered to change her model for the Western release. Thus anybody who doesn't know who Dorian Grey is going to be super confused as to why she's called Dora In Grey when she's wearing a purple dress. Can't help but feel like the localization team got a little too cute with that one.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s exactly why I started with stronger enemies. Playing the 3DS version, enemies were SOOOOOO easy to defeat it was just boring. I tried avoiding battles on purpose to give myself some kind of challenge. I really appreciate the strong enemy Draconian option, and while I’m playing it with only the no running as my other Drac. choice, I’ve felt like I’ve had a fair difficulty the whole time. The enemy may have some advantages, but I have my own thanks to skills I’m investing in. Again, it really reminds me of Etrian difficulty balance.

So to answer @AustNerevar, I say just remove the lower EXP Draconian option. Reduced EXP is never fun, so lose that one and keep the difficult enemies.

I have missed out then haha. Damn. I will be playing through again, so I’ll definitely choose to have stronger enemies. Especially if it’s like Etrian Odyssey in that sense. 

I also like my exp, so I’ll keep that. I’ll probably choose no running as well.