Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

Erik has joined the party! Hooray!

In the 3DS version I had him use Boomerangs, but this time I’m going to focus on Knives. With the status ailment skills, that will really help him deal with enemies with my Draconian settings on.

I’m disappointed Erik doesn’t become the lead/on field character if you put in the first position in the party line up. I was hoping to have Sylvando or Rab lead the party just for the heck of it, like how I usually have Yangus at the lead in DQ8 for my on field character. Guess that’s out the window. Nuts.

Anyway, that Jaspar guy who serves the king of Heliodor seems like a real sleazeball. I swear I’ve heard his voice in something else before, but I’m not sure what in.

Okay, I give. How do you beat Tentacular?

So I’m up to the Manglegrove and encountered a Dancing Devil....one Sultry Dance later from the Dancing Devil, and Erik is suddenly doing several Michael Jackson dance moves! That was hilarious! I got a good laugh out of that!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 3:57 PM, eal said:

I mean, I wouldn’t disagree, but I personally think VIII edges it out simply for being more plot-relevant and I liked Argonia more, though I understand liking the location more doesn’t make the side story any better, but it helps. I didn’t like the Orkutsk story from the same game in large part because I didn’t like the location.

For me gallopillis is more about introducing a party member than the prince being a rehash of viii. 

That being said.  This game is a game of references and most definitely welcoming newcomers. It offers more side stuff for veterans though. the targets for example and the sidequests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Okay, I give. How do you beat Tentacular?

Poison the main part as it poisons both tentacles either sylv or erik, if erik use his damage over time spell too. Have Serena buff the part.  Have rab use the right as rain ability. You could also have the hero in here to help cover health and use erik, rab, and the hero pep skill which does 100+ damage to everything until it runs out leaving him more vulnerable to zam and fire moves. Dnot be afraid to defend.  You can also have rab sap the main body.

So, I just found an old man, on top of a mountain, with his girly mag sitting next to his withering body, I love this guy.

I’ve finished helping out the Woodcutter in the Manglegrove, and will be leaving the grove tomorrow when I start playing again. Somehow (but unsurprisingly) I managed to get just over 7 hours of game time into DQ11 thus far, with both MopTopMo and Erik being level 9. This is what happens when I have a full day off and a new Dragon Quest game. Scary, isn’t it?

Seriously though, I haven’t felt this glued to a game in a long time. It’s like Dragon Quest VII 3DS or Ni no Kuni 2 levels where I don’t want to put it down but I know I have too! I may have gotten more time in today if not for mowing this afternoon and the cooking I did this evening. Definitely won’t get in as much time to play the next 2 days, so I made the most of my free time today.

REALLY glad I picked this up now and didn’t wait any longer. I’m still miffed about the Square Enix store shenanigans that happened, but damn if I’ll let that stop me from enjoying this game!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I just started recently. I'm currently at the King's treasury place, looking for the orb. I also made myself some Scale Mail +2 and a Scale Shield +1

• Like 2

Poison the main part as it poisons both tentacles either sylv or erik, if erik use his damage over time spell too. Have Serena buff the part.  Have rab use the right as rain ability. You could also have the hero in here to help cover health and use erik, rab, and the hero pep skill which does 100+ damage to everything until it runs out leaving him more vulnerable to zam and fire moves. Dnot be afraid to defend.  You can also have rab sap the main body.
So, I just found an old man, on top of a mountain, with his girly mag sitting next to his withering body, I love this guy.
Thanks for the tips. This helped!

Good god I must have some luck.  I got the jackpot on the 100 token slots.  In less than 30 minutes.

Spoiler

Also I like the restart from the beginning thing they do.

They took advantage of it to make some great character development for established characters.  I love sylv's parade.

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Thanks for the tips. This helped!

I'm glad it helped, I had some trouble with it in my draconian quest run.  So, I'm sorry if it was a battle of attrition for you doing it how I did. 

poisoning your bosses makes the troublesome ones easier to beat.  I haven't tried paralyzing any yet.

10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve finished helping out the Woodcutter in the Manglegrove, and will be leaving the grove tomorrow when I start playing again. Somehow (but unsurprisingly) I managed to get just over 7 hours of game time into DQ11 thus far, with both MopTopMo and Erik being level 9. This is what happens when I have a full day off and a new Dragon Quest game. Scary, isn’t it?

Seriously though, I haven’t felt this glued to a game in a long time. It’s like Dragon Quest VII 3DS or Ni no Kuni 2 levels where I don’t want to put it down but I know I have too! I may have gotten more time in today if not for mowing this afternoon and the cooking I did this evening. Definitely won’t get in as much time to play the next 2 days, so I made the most of my free time today.

REALLY glad I picked this up now and didn’t wait any longer. I’m still miffed about the Square Enix store shenanigans that happened, but damn if I’ll let that stop me from enjoying this game!

Awesome!  So glad you're enjoying the game, too!  MopTopMo is a neat name for the guy.  :)

I'm just a little bit ahead, just a couple hours and a location or two.

hoo I picked up the Crossbow challenge just now, and now I get to spend even more time hunting around the maps.

• Like 1

Beat the boss of the Mural town and now have 5 of my 6 orbs. Major Pain in the butt. I somehow managed to beat it on my first try despite having 3/4's of my party charmed and having to rely on my reserves after the front 4 wiped. Never again will I go without Sylvando in my party; I love Serena for the classic warrior/thief/BM/WM party, but she's just so useless in boss fights. Doesn't have a multi-heal yet, hasn't gotten an upgrade to Woosh for better DPS, and she can't heal confusion/charm. 

Anyway,  Just hunting down magic doors around the world to get stocked up on treasure before I continue to Sniflheim.

• Like 1

Working on post game stuff. It doesn’t seem like I’ll be finished with everything anytime soon. 76 hours clocked right now. Easily 24 more for me personally. So much to do. 

I’ve made it to the town of Hotto. Going through the Kingsbarrow was tougher than I thought it would be, and I had to Evac at one point just to be safe. The boss fight at the end was a close call too, but Erik’s sleep attack knife skill plus Persecutter saves the day!

I’m disappointed there’s no explanation about the little white spirit guys yet (though I love how they pop up at random places, like the one roaming the halls of Heliodor Castle). At the start of the Hotto region in the 3DS version you get to know about them/go to their little village. Guess the explanation happens later in the PS4 version.

Anyway, I’m loving the harder enemies setting. I’ve had to be more careful while fighting, and it makes me think what to do and REALLY consider what to invest skill points into! It’s felt like an Etrian Odyssey game in terms of difficulty balance, especially for early game where you have next to no skills.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’ve made it to the town of Hotto. Going through the Kingsbarrow was tougher than I thought it would be, and I had to Evac at one point just to be safe. The boss fight at the end was a close call too, but Erik’s sleep attack knife skill plus Persecutter saves the day!

That combo helped a ton!

27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That combo helped a ton!

I wonder if you can still safely use that combo whenever you get the dual wield ability for Erik. I suppose as long as you have a knife in one of his hands you’ll be fine.

Anyway, when meeting the little girl in the red hat last night, this was her response to hearing MopTopMo’s name. So far the funniest response I’ve gotten in regards to the  one true hero name.

nbS4Cet.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I wonder if you can still safely use that combo whenever you get the dual wield ability for Erik. I suppose as long as you have a knife in one of his hands you’ll be fine.

You can.  75 hours here and I've never once noticed the second hit of dual wield waking an enemy up afterwards.

Made no story progress last night, but I did clear the Gallopolis, Zwarrdrust, and Gondolia regions of their Crossbow targets. Gallopolis was the hardest, despite it being a desert for me. I hate deserts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadownite said:

You can.  75 hours here and I've never once noticed the second hit of dual wield waking an enemy up afterwards.

Sorry, should have been more clear with that post. What I meant was can you still use the knife related skills no problem if you dual wield a sword and a knife. I’m guessing the answer is “Yes you can,” but the question just popped into my head last night.

Managed to complete the game this morning. Had a lot of fun. I can see why a lot of people said this game was too easy , but I really did feel some good challenge with some of the late game bosses. That being said, I had a tougher time with some of the end game bosses then I did with the final boss. Hoping the post game bosses are more challenging.

I am a bit torn on what to do right now. I really want to start Draconian Quest, but at the same time I would like to start working on post game. I might just end doing both and split my time between them for a little bit.

• Like 1

Sorry, should have been more clear with that post. What I meant was can you still use the knife related skills no problem if you dual wield a sword and a knife. I’m guessing the answer is “Yes you can,” but the question just popped into my head last night.
Can you duel wield 2 different weapon types?

Currently at Arboria. The thing I have to laugh about is all the party members are about 3-4 levels higher than the main character.

22 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Can you duel wield 2 different weapon types?

You’re gonna have to check on that one Platty. I’m nowhere near far enough in either version I have to find out the answer.

• Like 1