Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

17 minutes ago, SlimeVagrant said:

Reveal hidden contents

I had no idea you could do that! I'm kind of glad I didn't figure that out until afterwards because it was a really fun experience. I gave up on Zoma years ago because I didn't know about the orb of light either and I really need to go back to III.

Also Overweening pride wasn't that bad for me. I had a similar experience with him than I did with the true final boss, except I never "lost" to Overweenie just took too many turns. Was able to get him on my 2nd try also.

Did you play on super strong enemies?

I did not, I completely missed the Challenge at the beginning somehow. I'll have to give them a try on a 2nd playthrough.

10 minutes ago, SlimeVagrant said:

I did not, I completely missed the Challenge at the beginning somehow. I'll have to give them a try on a 2nd playthrough.

That’s probably why you didn’t have trouble with Overweening Pride. That boss was a #$*! even with everyone at level 99 with strong enemies on. Way worse than the boss of Phnom Nonh in Act 1 with strong enemies.

I cleared Battleground, and with Gallopolis and Hotto already cleared, I was able to forge the legendary sword.

At this point I'm 90% sure that I have to fly to that giant ominous castle in the sky.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 9:50 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@SlimeVagrant and @GrandAlchemistFor the true final boss, you guys know you can (putting the rest in spoilers).....

Reveal hidden contents

Use the Super Sword of Light to weaken his strength, right? He’s like Zoma in the sense a special item used in combat will make him far weaker.

I thought he wasn’t all the hard. Especially compared to #$*!ing Overweening Pride in the post game dungeon trials. #$*! the boss. Easily took the cake of hardest post game boss.

I was aware of that before the game was even released in the US. Since I superleveled to 99 I just beat him down the "hard" way.

5 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

I was aware of that before the game was even released in the US. Since I superleveled to 99 I just beat him down the "hard" way.

Okay, just making sure. I’ve seen a few people who didn’t know about that and complaining it was too difficult. Thought I’d pass the info along in case you or Slime needed some help.

I just got to cobblestone after the world went to crap. I have to say, is this going to be the start of a frustrating treck of being blocked off from the world and slowly getting my party members back, oh boy can’t wait.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 7:01 AM, sad46 said:

I just got to cobblestone after the world went to crap. I have to say, is this going to be the start of a frustrating treck of being blocked off from the world and slowly getting my party members back, oh boy can’t wait.

Oh yeah, that's a ton of fun.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:18 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

With how little CPR gets to play, a foot of progress is a good deal of progress.

So. Damn. True.

I got like four hours in this last weekend. Finished up Octagonia and knocked out some side quests. Hopefully I'll squeeze in another hour or two this week. 

Still in the same spot. I took some time to catch up on the side-quests. I'm currently missing 2. One is time locked until I beat the game, the other, I cant finish because I don't have the ability yet.

At the very least. I got +3 Metal Slime weapons for most of the party, with the exception of the spellcasters and Sylvando. I have Sylvando on whips, and I need to get him upgraded. Right now, I think he's got the Demon Whip.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:39 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yay! I finally have a full party of characters! Veronica and Serena have officially joined team MopTopMo!

I figure for Veronica I’ll focus on her staff abilities, but will dabble into whips for the status ailments. Serena will be lance focused since I’ve heard that’s a good option for her, and with those sweet harp/song abilities I’ll definitely be going for those. Looking through her harp abilities, I’m reminded of Troubadours from Etrian 1 and 2. I’m sure those skills will be a big help for bosses, especially against those who use fire and ice breath attacks. 

This was the point I stopped playing the 3DS version over the summer. Now that I’ve caught up on the PS4 version, I may finish an area in English, then try and play through it on 3DS. No guarantees, but we’ll see.

I started with spears, and switched to wand later (with the priest) after a certain character joins who is great with spears. When that character joins, it is almost a game breaker. Multithrust got me though a lot of tough enemies.

On 9/15/2018 at 5:04 PM, Plattym3 said:

You're not wrong at all.
They all do speak in haiku.
Glad that you noticed. You want less grinding but harder?

That's what she said! (Sorry, had to) 😄

• Like 1

I finished the post game (although didn't do either of the last postgame trials) at about level 70. Once I get catch up on my work, I'll probably retry the game with stronger enemies options.

Only time I got "Sonny Corleoned" before the postgame was the dragon before Arbonia. I nearly got KO'ed in the postgame by the tougher version of the same boss. Everyone got paralyzed right before I killed it and all four got wiped out with two bench players jumping in. One of the bench players (Sylvano) was also paralyzed. One of the wizards had 15HP left. Kafrizzle got enough pts to survive.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Red Dragon said:

I started with spears, and switched to wand later (with the priest) after a certain character joins who is great with spears. When that character joins, it is almost a game breaker. Multithrust got me though a lot of tough enemies.

That's what she said! (Sorry, had to) 😄

Jade is good with spears, but her low MP when she first joins makes it hard to use her skills a lot until you get Bella’s Bow (or whatever the accessory is called). It restoring 6 MP at the +3 version was nice and made me more comfortable with having her in the main party.

Serena’s spear abilities always helped out. Since I played on strong enemies I ended up using her blocking/parrying skills a good deal, which helped negate some damage thrown her way. Some of her act 2 and post game abilities amped up the usefulness of spears even further. She did enough healing without the bonuses from the wands, so I was fine not  using them. On a replay I’ll have her focus on wands instead though for something different, just as I’ll have Jade use claws instead.

On 10/7/2018 at 12:15 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

So I thought I was going to go into the post game no problem, but then, after seeing the big “This is what’s gonna happen,” cutscene, I realized I never finished those stupid Wheel of Harma trials.

I hate challenges where you have to complete them in a certain number of turns. That’s all I’m gonna say. I want the rewards because forging, but #$*! some of the turn restrictions. Guess it’s time to go grind and see if I can finish off the 3rd trial before I do the “This is what’s gonna happen,”’cutscene again. Thankfully made a backup save, so I can do a bit of backtracking without losing too much (story) progress.

The 4th boss in that trial is a real pair of MF'ers that Sonny Coreloned me twice. Fourth time was the charm. Time wasn't a problem there in turns, just getting hammered with the guy's massive blade attack. He didn't use that as often the last time.

On 12/6/2018 at 10:23 PM, Duran said:

I cleared Battleground, and with Gallopolis and Hotto already cleared, I was able to forge the legendary sword.

At this point I'm 90% sure that I have to fly to that giant ominous castle in the sky.

Battleground. I forgot about that. I got Sonny Corleoned in the post game by one miniboss creature there chasing a final key door. I meant to take another shot at him at around level 70. (Where I finished the game). I'll go after him next playthrough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Jade is good with spears, but her low MP when she first joins makes it hard to use her skills a lot until you get Bella’s Bow (or whatever the accessory is called). It restoring 6 MP at the +3 version was nice and made me more comfortable with having her in the main party.

Serena’s spear abilities always helped out. Since I played on strong enemies I ended up using her blocking/parrying skills a good deal, which helped negate some damage thrown her way. Some of her act 2 and post game abilities amped up the usefulness of spears even further. She did enough healing without the bonuses from the wands, so I was fine not  using them. On a replay I’ll have her focus on wands instead though for something different, just as I’ll have Jade use claws instead.

If I'm going hard enemies, I'm probably going to use them both with spears. Serena otherwise has little offense.  I'll need to get more "normal" offense out of Erik (outside criticals) and Sylvano in a replay. I was too often carried by Hero, Jade, and Veronica (although those three could make some bossfights look easy if they got their attacks going - Gigaslash/Omphed Falcon Slash, Oomphed multithrust, Kaspells).

For my main party:

Regular - Hero, 8th Character, Jade, Erik (For stealing) - Sometimes put Veronica in for Erik if bad items to steal.

Boss (with a lot of switching) - Hero, Jade, Sylvano, Veronica (sometimes Rab)

Before 8th Character - Hero, Jade, Erik, Veronica

Jade was my best character all game. Rab was invaluable midgame. Veronica was invaluable early game. Sylvano is annoying to me personality wise but a damn good battle character for boss battles. Erik's the best metal fighter in the game. Hero's "Giga" skills got me out of many tough situations. The 8th Character is a big help midgame and at the very end although faded a bit with greatsword until the very last one I got for him (Weapon quality lull). 

I used Sword/Shield for Hero (probably mostly greatsword next time), Great Swords for 8th Character (Going Sword/Shield next time), Spears for Jade (did a ton of damage) , Bommerang for Erik (going Knife or Sword next time), Heavy wand for Veronica, First Spears, then Wand for Serena, First whip, then sword for Sylvano, and Heavy Wand for Rab. 

• Like 1

Since I'm finished with finals, I finally got a chance to play Dragon Quest XI. I got Veronica and Serena in my party. Now I'm on my way to Gallopolis.

EDIT (25.12.2018 22:16 PST): I've gotten Sylvando and am going to get his ship in Gondolia.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

Started with strong enemies. That's a different challenge. Reminds me of DQIV NES (except controlling everyon) early on before getting to a spot with real good equipment. I got whacked twice already by overworld enemies while grinding. Three sabercubs (that's embarassing since I forgot about Hero's Sizz and didn't use it) after I bit off more than I can chew with Hero and Erik. Tried to run after Erik died (five hits in a row against him) and got blocked and finished.  Lost 300 gold which sucks early on. I later got fried by three of the latern enemies (less embarassing) and another enemy in the Manglegrove.

No problem with the "bosses" however. Haven't got Veronica and Serena (damn she's needed) yet. I have to remember tactics a bit more and can't brute force everyone like I did on "regular."  I also can't steal every time with Erik in the overworld battles. 

• Like 1

I just got beat twice from that damn Slayer of the Sands on strong monsters. I think I almost got him the first time. I gambled and lost attacking instead of healing (after Serena died) when he was sapped and tried to sleep him and get the finisher before I got overwhelmed. The 2nd time Serena got critical hit against on the first round and it all downhill from there.

I'm probably going to grind until I get to the next level (17 or 18) or until I have pepped attacks ready.

Edited by Red Dragon
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Red Dragon said:

I just got beat twice from that damn Slayer of the Sands on strong monsters. I think I almost got him the first time. I gambled and lost attacking instead of healing (after Serena died) when he was sapped and tried to sleep him and get the finisher before I got overwhelmed. The 2nd time Serena got critical hit against on the first round and it all downhill from there.

I'm probably going to grind until I get to the next level (17 or 18) or until I have pepped attacks ready.

Wait till you get to the Phnom Nonh boss with strong enemies. You’ll be pulling your hair out.

Just finished the second Octagonia section in the game. 

Spoiler

Gonna be honest, Jade's little mini arc wasn't very good in my opinion. It could have been fixed with one little thing, have it take place BEFORE going back to Dumdrasil. It was a huge missed opportunity to not have her be there when you fought Irwin.

• Like 1

I got lucky 4th time in. Eric sleeped him 3 times. Idiot NPC hit him twice, waking him up, but that 200hp Eric persecution attack on asleep enemy, sap, and cutting edge saved me. 

44 minutes ago, Red Dragon said:

I got lucky 4th time in. Eric sleeped him 3 times. Idiot NPC hit him twice, waking him up, but that 200hp Eric persecution attack on asleep enemy, sap, and cutting edge saved me. 

Sylvando does make it difficult for the sleeping strategy. He kept screwing over my attempts to sleep attack the Slayer. So I ended up trying to poison him with Erik. Didn’t have enough skill points for the hard hitting follow up when poisoned, but it at least made sure the Slayer took constant damage, which is what you really need in strong enemies mode.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

I just completed the second visit to Sniflheim. I loved the conclusion to Erik's arc. Makes me think of how much better Jade's could've been... but I digress. With that out of the way, I can say that my experience with this game has been a cut above. It's won me over. If it's able to keep this up it's a contender for favorite game of all time.

Also when Erik unlocked more of his sword abilities I was really surprised. If I'm not mistaken, I think he gets the highest amount of attack boosts from swords in the game.

• Like 1

Evil bad guy = Defeated!

Evil bad guy's sword = Taken

...okay, now what?

• Like 1