YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

Hooray for more members of the platinum club. Will we see @Plattym3 join the platinum club too for Dragon Quest XI?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

So I'm currently back in Gallopolis...

...not sure if I'm supposed to be here yet.

5 minutes ago, Duran said:

So I'm currently back in Gallopolis...

...not sure if I'm supposed to be here yet.

You have some leeway in act 2 where you can go as I found out. You can go to places early or just wait till the game has you go there. Either way you’ll see all the story stuff.

5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You have some leeway in act 2 where you can go as I found out. You can go to places early or just wait till the game has you go there. Either way you’ll see all the story stuff.

This is act 2!?

But yeah...I'm just exploring right now trying to earn some gold while looking for crafting materials and recipes. I don't even have Erik or the twins back yet.

Edited by Duran

7 minutes ago, Duran said:

This is act 2!?

But yeah...I'm just exploring right now trying to earn some gold while looking for crafting materials and recipes. I don't even have Erik or the twins back yet.

Yes. Each Act of the game is after major world changing events. Act 2 starts after the Lord of Shadows rises to power. Act 3 starts once you begin post game and you do some traveling. That’s all I’ll say.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yes. Each Act of the game is after major world changing events. Act 2 starts after the Lord of Shadows rises to power. Act 3 starts once you begin post game and you do some traveling. That’s all I’ll say.

Okay, that makes more sense.

Just getting back into the game after a long Hiatus. Took a break after Act 1 started to play the hell out of Maple Story 2, but I'm back and I'm really liking what they did for act 2. I just got the red orb back after defeating the lizard guy. I like how (so far anyway) each one of your party members has changed or grown in some way since you last left them, and they even leveled up some. I still need to get back the Arboria twins but I'm going to make a prediction that Veronica is going to have returned to her true age when we next meet (don't spoil me on that please).

• Like 1

Beat the 3rd Trial Isle post game trial tonight. 3 down, but a couple left to go too. Post game is going well and I'm up to 105 hours. My kids love watching me play and them begging to watch daily helps me keep going!

Fought Tetsunaga...nearly kicked the crap out of me, but I beat him...

...Then I FINALLY decided to go to Arboria, like I was supposed to. Now everything is weak...

I just got my team back together in act 2, doing some side-questing now. I just got the metal slime recipes from that bard in Arboria so I'm working on making new weapons and armor.  

As for my earlier prediction involving Veronica: 

Spoiler

NOOOOO WHY?! :cry:  Veronica was my favorite and now she's gone... I had just forged a brand new armor set for her too, preparing for her return.

• Like 2

As I go into the (presumably) final dungeon: The Fortress of Fear, I notice that my levels are a bit higher than the typical ~40 I usually finish a DQ game with. I never even actively hunted metal slimes (or metal hands as those are a thing now apparently). I've heard this game has a really good ending and a great postgame so I'm exited!

On 11/24/2018 at 1:34 AM, Duran said:

Fought Tetsunaga...nearly kicked the crap out of me, but I beat him...

...Then I FINALLY decided to go to Arboria, like I was supposed to. Now everything is weak...

I had no idea you could fight him before Arboria, that's really interesting. Reminds me of my first playthrough of DQV where I fought Bjorn early and ended up getting the ultimate key before the magic key.

Edited by SlimeVagrant

Just pulled an all-nighter with this game until I defeated Mordegon! I really didn't have any trouble beating him at all, so I'm really hoping the postgame will give me a good challenge. If it's anything like DQ8's then that would be great. I'll have to start Act 3 (I guess?) tomorrow, I'm about to pass out. 

• Like 1

So i have ended the game today, fantastic ending. Right to the kokoro.

Ok I've started Act 3 and wow things just got crazy, like bravely default crazy. I'm going to start reporting my progress in under a spoiler window just in case.

Spoiler

So I just got back my whole team including Hendrik, it's bothering the heck out of me having this huge level imbalance between the luminary and the rest of the party. Anyone know any good metal slime grinding spots for this part of the game? I won't be able to fully reclaim my power as I don't have any of my extended skill trees (I need your sticky fingers erik!) but I imagine most of that will come back as I continue the story. I'd just like to get back to where I was before the time travel as soon as I can.

@SlimeVagrant advance the story. What you want will happen, grind-free. Just keep going.

• Like 1

@Plattym3  LOL what I want just happened at the same exact time Tapatalk notified me that you mentioned me! Thanks though! :laugh:

• Like 1

Just set foot in Octagonia last night 
Odd. The game let me put my character's entire body in that city.

More than just a foot.

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Odd. The game let me put my character's entire body in that city.

More than just a foot.

With how little CPR gets to play, a foot of progress is a good deal of progress.

• Like 1

Just took my first shot at the "True" Final boss... and man I thought I was OVER preparing. I equipped everyone with the best Weapons and armor I could make, got everyone to just over level 80 and did all the sidequests that seemed useful, and I was barely able to leave a dent (or a crack :wink:). I'm going to make a bit more preparations and do some strategizing and, if I need to, grinding.

I just hope I can finish him in time for the launch of Smash Bros because I don't know if I'll be able to pull myself away from that game when it launches.

1 hour ago, SlimeVagrant said:

Just took my first shot at the "True" Final boss... and man I thought I was OVER preparing. I equipped everyone with the best Weapons and armor I could make, got everyone to just over level 80 and did all the sidequests that seemed useful, and I was barely able to leave a dent (or a crack :wink:). I'm going to make a bit more preparations and do some strategizing and, if I need to, grinding.

I just hope I can finish him in time for the launch of Smash Bros because I don't know if I'll be able to pull myself away from that game when it launches.

At level 99 he was still able to put up a decent fight. I didn't try at a lower level... I kinda went from level 55 to level 99 a bit into act 3.

• Like 1

Welp I beat him on my 2nd try. I just rearranged my party and accessories a bit and I didn't have too much trouble this time. Didn't even have to level my team any more. Here are my immediate overall thoughts about the game:

The gameplay is the best the series has to offer so far. I absolutely loved being able to pick my commands as the battle came to each character's turn instead of having to try and predict it or rely on AI. Both the overworld and dungeons do an excellent job of rewarding exploration with lots of chests and sparkly item farming spots. It was also such a great idea to be able to take monster's mounts and use their abilities to explore previously unaccessable areas. I was however incredibly disappointed when I got the achievement for riding every mount in the game because I then realized that you cannot ride a slime knight. When i discovered the mount system my first thought was that I couldn't wait to ride my very own gloopy steed but it never came to be. I mean that seems to be the most obvious monster to include in such a system, at least to me. :(| I don't even care if it had any good abilities I just wanna ride on a slime dangit!

I was admittedly disappointed in the soundtrack of this game. Almost all the music in the game I could pick out as being reused from previous games, like 3, 5, and especially 8. The few tracks that were actually new weren't particularly bad, just forgettable. I struggle to pick a favorite dragon quest soundtrack out of the series but I know it's not XI's. I was also disappointed in the character designs for the party and other major characters. Particularly in the Luminary, Gemma, Rab, and Serena. They just looked like generic Akira Toriyama designs and nothing about them really stands out. I would also rate this as my least favorite hero design in the whole series as it's just dull. 

I would definitely recommend this game as a good entry point for the series as each of the party members is a distinct archetype of a typical Dragon Quest Class. (I still want to see a merchant class in a modern game though, we haven't had one since VI). The story and tone are overall great representations of a typical dragon quest experience. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the game and while I wouldn't rate it above IX, V or VIII, I still love this game as a Genuine Dragon Quest experience.

Ending Spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

Was able to beat him using my OG team of Luminary, Erik, Veronica, and Serena. Holy moley Erik scales extremely hard late game when you get both of his dual wielding perks. I was able to deal almost 2,000 damage to every enemy with one Twomerang. I was able to use this to break his arms while he was carrying the giant sun/spirit bomb thing and got it to crash back down on him. That was the first time I saw him try to use that attack though and it didn't do much damage to him so I guess it's more bark than bite. Still was a great final boss battle, with a great setting! (Still got nothing on Psaro though :P)

I found the ending very confusing. The whole game is a story on the bookshelf in DQ3 Erdrick's Mom's house. Does that mean the Luminary is the original Erdrick? But the Erdrick in the end cutscene looks just like Erdwin who wasn't (but almost was) Erdrick because he couldn't defeat Calasmos? I think?

Anyway I really didn't like how Gemma's character was handled after Act 2 and throughout the ending. Maybe because V and VIII just did marriage a lot better, but the way it went in this game felt like it was forced when it didn't really have to be. I'm very curious to see how the ending changes if you don't decide to Marry her via the wishes from the trial. Maybe that would make for a better ending, but it's a shame because IIRC you need to take all the wishes to unlock a really important Item or recipe or something..

@SlimeVagrant and @GrandAlchemistFor the true final boss, you guys know you can (putting the rest in spoilers).....

Spoiler

Use the Super Sword of Light to weaken his strength, right? He’s like Zoma in the sense a special item used in combat will make him far weaker.

I thought he wasn’t all the hard. Especially compared to #$*!ing Overweening Pride in the post game dungeon trials. #$*! the boss. Easily took the cake of hardest post game boss.

8 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@SlimeVagrant and @GrandAlchemistFor the true final boss, you guys know you can (putting the rest in spoilers).....

Reveal hidden contents

Use the Super Sword of Light to weaken his strength, right? He’s like Zoma in the sense a special item used in combat will make him far weaker.

I thought he wasn’t all the hard. Especially compared to #$*!ing Overweening Pride in the post game dungeon trials. #$*! the boss. Easily took the cake of hardest post game boss.

Spoiler

I had no idea you could do that! I'm kind of glad I didn't figure that out until afterwards because it was a really fun experience. I gave up on Zoma years ago because I didn't know about the orb of light either and I really need to go back to III.

Also Overweening pride wasn't that bad for me. I had a similar experience with him than I did with the true final boss, except I never "lost" to Overweenie just took too many turns. Was able to get him on my 2nd try also.