YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

I was hoping I could finish off the game tonight. I made it all the way through the Fortress of Fear, gaining a few levels thanks to Metal King Slimes showing up in a few fights, and was feeling confident.
Then I tried fighting the boss on the 4th floor. Yeeeeeeah, not dealing with that crap tonight. Honestly I feel like the hero is a hinderance in boss battles now. He’s good for random battles, so he’s probably gonna get the boot from boss fights until I absolutely need to use him.
Before I go to sleep, here’s a good representation of what kept happening in the attempt at that boss:

Pretty much. That boss made me drop the XP restriction.

2 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Pretty much. That boss made me drop the XP restriction.

What level were you at when you fought the boss? Currently my levels are 55-60.

What level were you at when you fought the boss? Currently my levels are 55-60.
I believe around 60-65. He kept one shotting almost my entire party.

Well I guess I didn’t need to do any extra leveling cause I rematched the boss this morning right away and won.

And on that note:

NjFmvio.jpg

I couldn’t have planned that finishing time even if I wanted to! The big bad is defeated and the day is saved thanks to the Powerpuff Girls MopTopMo and friends! Thankfully had the time to open the game up again this morning and see if I could finish it before going to work.

I’ll share how the final encounters went later.

• Like 1

Congrats!

Ok, let’s talk about the final set of bosses and my experience with them. I will be keeping them all in spoilers, so obviously if you haven’t reached the end of the game/beaten the game, DO NOT OPEN THEM.

Now then....

4th floor Fortress boss:

Spoiler

Jasper Unbound was a real pain when I tried fighting him last night. He has way too many AoE attacks, and they really screwed me over for the first attempt. Especially THAT STUPID EXPLOSION THAT DOES LIKE 250 DAMAGE WHAT THE #$*! GAME?! Him constantly summoning Balhibs was annoying too. Such a coward that he couldn’t fight us all on his own despite his boasting he’s so powerful! Yet he managed to kill of 5 of the party members. It was at that point I decided to just go to bed and be done for the night. I was hoping I could power through, but I didn’t feel like staying up any later than I had cause I was getting exhausted.

So, when retrying the boss right away this morning, I found the best thing to do was keep healing and applying Kabuff whenever I could. Thankfully that got him to waste a turn on Disruptive Wave. Hendrik, Mo, Erik, and Serena were my party for this fight, with Erik being the big damage dealer. His bread and butter was poisoning, Divide, then...whatever the name of the heavy hitting poison attack is called, I can never remember the name. Serena, thanks to the Echo ability she can get from a hidden panel, helped keep the Party nice and healthy and/or buffed. Mo either used the Sage’s Stone or Falcon Slash/Quadraslash depending on how many enemies were on screen. Hendrik was mainly the defender, and I did whatever I could to keep him safe from Jasper’s critical hits and other attacks. He attacked when he could and lowered Jasper’s defense, but otherwise I tried to keep Hendrik on standby or Kabuff duty.

Overall Jasper Unbound is tough, but keeping healed up can help temper some of his shenanigans. With Super Tough Enemies, he actually didn’t have as much health as I thought he would. Both fights I felt like I got him down to yellow quickly, moreso in the rematch. Definitely not a pushover though!

Final boss, Part 1:

Spoiler

Mordegon, or Lord of Shadows as he’s called in the fight, was nasty. Being able to use all the abilities of the Spectral Sentinels was a nasty surprise, and much like Jasper Unbound the first attempt ended badly. I decided to retry from the start and change around my item inventories, making sure the most durable members, Hendrik and Mo, had access to several Yggdrasil Leaves and MP restoring items.

Attempt 2 was much better. Still a nightmare, but much better. Because Mordegon summoned a shadow of himself right away, I kept doing what I could to do AoE damage. Used the same party as the Jasper Unbound fight and same strategy, but this time because Mordegon REALLY likes to block physical damage, I had Erik use his guaranteed critical hit skill paired with Divide. It cost a lot of MP, but it was the only safe option I felt I had with Erik. He did use his boulder/earth attack spell for some extra damage each turn since Morde’s Shadow loved to throw Kabuffs out.

By the end of the fight I had used 2 Yggdrasil Leaves and a Sage’s Elixer on Erik, but the party survived somehow. Honestly this was the 2nd worst boss I’ve fought in the game with Super Tough enemies on. I left out some details, but basically Mordegon being able to use all the abilities of the Sentinels SUCKED on top of his unique attacks. I still think Dora-In-Grey was the harder boss, but Mordegon definitely lived up to the title of the Lord of Shadows.

Final Boss, Part 2:

Spoiler

First off, I wasn’t expecting the design of the final boss. I liked how it was and how they made use of Mordegon’s new form/design within the fight itself.

Anyway, this 2nd phase was actually much easier than I thought it was going to be! After dealing with Mordegon’s first form, I was scared what the hell his giant monstrosity form was going to do. Thankfully, as I said, it was easy and not as ball busting as I imagined.

The boss, being split in 3 parts, made me swap between all the characters, similar to what I do in Dragon Quest IV when fighting Psaro. Though one of those was because Erik died and I didn’t feel like reviving him (he wasn’t doing much damage anyway). The only character I didn’t swap in for long was Sylvando. No real reason, just didn’t use him as much.

Anyway, all three parts of the fight love to use magic, so using Magic Barrier and Serena’s Harp skills helps negate the damage. Rab and Serena kept the group healthy in part 3, while Hendrik and Mo attacked one part at a time. Had a few close calls in this part no thanks to the hard hitting Pep skills this part can use, and a REALLY scary moment when half of the boss tried to Zing the other half! I about had a heart attack when that happened!

I was more than satisfied with the last fight. Things felt more even in this part versus part 1 of the battle with Mordegon, and thanks to being careful and trying to be prepared I managed to defeat the 2nd part of the final boss one the first try! Very good final boss and a great last fight for the main game.

With all that said, the final trio of bosses were fun. Two were ball busters, but fun. I’m glad I managed to beat the entire main game with Super Tough enemies on, and with that Draconian setting it made the last fights pretty satisfying to win. Honestly the reward of just beating the game with that setting was good enough, and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope this becomes a permanent feature for future DQ games.

I’m glad I finished the game now, as next week I’m not gonna have much time for games. Guess I’ll have to see what I can do in the post game this weekend.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

YangustheLegendaryBandit beat the Dark Souls of DQ! Wahoo!

• Like 1

Anyone else think Dragon Quest XI - The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below could've worked as a title?

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

YangustheLegendaryBandit beat the Dark Souls of DQ! Wahoo!

Now the question is, do I play through the post game with strong enemies still on? 🤔

59 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Anyone else think Dragon Quest XI - The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below could've worked as a title?

Actually, that could have worked. Speaking of that subtitle, I wonder why Heroes 2 didn’t get one. Seems kind of odd.

37 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Now the question is, do I play through the post game with strong enemies still on? 🤔

That's what I'm doing. Might as well go all out since I made it this far. It seems like you and I had the same restrictions for the entirety of the game and even dropped the same restriction around the same time.

Actually, that could have worked. Speaking of that subtitle, I wonder why Heroes 2 didn’t get one. Seems kind of odd.
Wait. It did!

DQH2: Some Cousins Fight Off A Invasion That Was Not Supposed To Happen Because Of A Treaty And Try To Extinguish Evil And Save Many Towns And Places

8 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

That's what I'm doing. Might as well go all out since I made it this far. It seems like you and I had the same restrictions for the entirety of the game and even dropped the same restriction around the same time.

I probably should. I only fear how tough any post game bosses will be with this restriction on. I mean, can’t be as bad as Etrian post game bosses on Expert, but still, Dragon Quest doesn’t pull its punches with post game bosses.

I haven’t dropped any restrictions yet (like you said, no reason to drop it now and I love a challenge! Haha) but speaking of restrictions I kind of want to start a new file (not to fully play through the game again) just to see how the Shypox works.

11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wait. It did!

DQH2: Some Cousins Fight Off A Invasion That Was Not Supposed To Happen Because Of A Treaty And Try To Extinguish Evil And Save Many Towns And Places

Imagine a Lord of the Rings book with that subtitle. Big seller right there.

Meh screw it. I dropped Stronger Monsters today. I'm back at work now and don't have as much time to grind. Beating the game with it on is enough for me. I'd rather just make actual progress through the Post Game

So I thought I was going to go into the post game no problem, but then, after seeing the big “This is what’s gonna happen,” cutscene, I realized I never finished those stupid Wheel of Harma trials.

I hate challenges where you have to complete them in a certain number of turns. That’s all I’m gonna say. I want the rewards because forging, but #$*! some of the turn restrictions. Guess it’s time to go grind and see if I can finish off the 3rd trial before I do the “This is what’s gonna happen,”’cutscene again. Thankfully made a backup save, so I can do a bit of backtracking without losing too much (story) progress.

So I thought I was going to go into the post game no problem, but then, after seeing the big “This is what’s gonna happen,” cutscene, I realized I never finished those stupid Wheel of Harma trials.
I hate challenges where you have to complete them in a certain number of turns. That’s all I’m gonna say. I want the rewards because forging, but #$*! some of the turn restrictions. Guess it’s time to go grind and see if I can finish off the 3rd trial before I do the “This is what’s gonna happen,”’cutscene again. Thankfully made a backup save, so I can do a bit of backtracking without losing too much (story) progress.
You don't have to do them before that cutscene. In fact I don't think there's anything you'll miss out on, except for different dialogue from NPCs in the game.

10 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

You don't have to do them before that cutscene. In fact I don't think there's anything you'll miss out on, except for different dialogue from NPCs in the game.

I figured (part of the High Lama’s dialogue was a hint) but I wanted to get everything possible so I could have them and the forge stuff right away and be ready to use them in Act 3.

Anyway, now that I’m done with all the extra stuff I wanted to do, I’ve begun Act 3 properly after the big cutscene. It definitely seems promising thus far, but I can’t help but wonder about something. I won’t say (here or in spoilers) what it is, but...well, it’s just confusing! I can’t wait to see what’s gonna happen with this mystery.

THE PLOT THICKENS! And my guess on the mystery was right! Ha!

Edit: And the change in music in Act 3 once you set off...

tenor.gif?itemid=5521371

FINALLY, I GET TO HEAR WHERE “Village of Myths,” PLAYS IN GAME! And it only took 159 hours...

Well worth the wait.

• Like 1

This Post Game is so so sweet

• Like 1

Damn...you guys are already at the end...I just barely started looking for orbs.

Man, there’s a lot to do in the post game. I must admit it’s weird playing it after what goes on in Act 2 of the game, but I’m not complaining for having more adventures, treasures to find, and monsters to hunt! A lot more monsters, actually... 😱

On 10/6/2018 at 11:15 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I hate challenges where you have to complete them in a certain number of turns. That’s all I’m gonna say. I want the rewards because forging, but #$*! some of the turn restrictions.

You are gonna hate the Drustan trials then.  He is the dragovian king of this game for three separate trials and they need to be done in a number of actions.  Apparently one thing he can do is give you a marriage to Gemma.  Also, don't forget to do all the horse races, wheel of harma, Drustan trials, and go to every town as something has happened in all of them.

My endgame level was 57 with play time of 156:15 I fell asleep some while grinding. draconian, reduced experience, no fleeing, & stronger monsters. 

Side note for anyone that has a hard time with the fortress of fear boss and the first form mordegan. ESPECIALLY if you are doing the draconian quests:

USE DAZZLE IT IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.  Those bosses miss so much they are weak to it, and you only need to heal when they use their magic attacks, having the echo ability is a boon.

^When I originally posted that I was just frustrated with the challenges at the time. I’m over it now.

Just passed the Dundrasil scene in Act 2.   This game is so good.

I'd say this probably in my top 4 of the series for sure.

7 > 3 > 11 > 4.  I think I do prefer the 3DS version though.  Better world design

I've done it. I unlocked every achievement. I did everything possible in this game. I'm so sad that it's over.

Capture.PNG.8af71f5aaa5828b75f2ea799ece1c028.PNG

• Like 1