YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

This game has a fantastic way of coming along and dicking you right in the heart.

There's a joke in there this site is just family-friendly enough for me not to make.

No comics tomorrow so I spent today playing some more XI. Was very lucky to run into and slay three Metal Slimes and so my party is a respectable level 21 all around just after the confrontation with Hendrik.

Side note: it was a huge mistake making the protagonist silent. There are so many serious and emotional moments and here’s this goober standing like an idiot while it’s all going on, and it’s about him most of the time.

• Like 1

@eal

I wouldn't say its a huge mistake since it's a series hallmark and DQ is all about traditionalism, but I agree that it does stand out a lot in this 3D feature-like story. The rest of the game being voiced contributes to that feeling as well.

I'm not sure I would like a voiced DQ protag however.

If it makes a game better in my eyes, then, much like Jessica from DQVIII, I don’t care about tradition. There’s as much evolution in XI as there’s old school stuff, and a silent protagonist is one of those things that should have been overhauled. He’s not even totally quiet. They have a guy voicing screams and grunts and gasps for him.

Why does everyone hate silent protagonists nowadays? 

At least in this game we don’t have moments in voiced dialogue where the hero’s name is clearly displayed in the text box but people refer to the hero as “him,” he,” “he’s,” and so forth. That #$*! is annoying in Dragon Quest VIII and I’m glad they didn’t do that again.

I don’t hate silent protagonists, but when everyone is talking about, taking you to your parents’ graves or you’re meeting your long-lost grandfather or someone close to you is having an intimate conversation with you about how she failed you and your mother, and you, the hero, the subject of all these scenes, is staring blank-faced not making a sound, it just looks silly and undercuts the drama.

Persona 5, as an example, has a silent protagonist. But he can respond to things and he’s expressive enough that you can deduce a personality from him while still being able to self-insert your own.

You always go to Persona 5 for your examples. It must be your waifu or something. 🤣

You’ve been playing Dragon Quest for years now. You should know what to expect and how the game treats the protagonist. This isn’t the first time a protagonist has learned major things about their past and just remains quiet, or when people open up to you, so it happening in XI shouldn’t be weird.

ANYWAY, now that I can fly around the world I’ve been visiting the locations marked on the map. What’s annoying about this though is that so many of these places have little shrines locked by Ultimate Key doors! Damn you game, where is the Ultimate Key?! I need to plunder some booty!

Also, the little guy you meet in the Havens Above area has a funny voice. Totally looks like another Toriyama character from Dragon Ball Z just with a different color though, but still, cute little guy who’s trying to make the most of things.

Oh, and Serena has become a great party member. She was good before, but hoooo boy. When story stuff happens in Act 2, she gets REALLY good.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

There's a joke in there this site is just family-friendly enough for me not to make.

giphy.gif

HOLY CRAP. Those Act 2 Gallopolis cutscenes! I have so many questions now.

Man, I’m glad I waited till now to come back to this place.

Tentacular tho.

I’ve written down some strategies I found online and I’m gonna ‘em into practice when I get home from work.

• Like 1

@eal

Apparently thwres just a cannon you can pick up in Lonalulu to weaken him.

Yeah I found out about the cannon, though what I read implies it just disorients him, affording you a few turns to figure out a strategy and get yourself prepared with buffs and debuffs.

I read to use Ice Hymn, he’s susceptible to sleep, so I’ll try Snooze or something, and Channel Anger + Boom from Veronica makes quick work of his tentacles. They supposedly stop regenerating after the second time so I might just try to shut those down before going after the body. Erik’s pep power is also effective, which I utilized my first time facing him so that’ll likely be available to me at the start of the battle. And apparently Rab has a decent healing ability that I didn’t see that I’ll try out next time as well.

I'm barely into the 2nd half of the game. Just got a party of 4 together, on to add more!

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I'm barely into the 2nd half of the game. Just got a party of 4 together, on to add more!

I haven't played in two weeks (work has been very busy lately), I had just gotten back to 5 people, may have to extend that lightspeed quest ;)

Yeah currently there are less winners for this lightspeed quest compared to previous ones.

A number of people who could enter to win it have not as well.

Its a long game yo

9 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Its a long game yo

We have like 3 other winners who haven’t posted in that topic: Votkrath, Boris, and Shogil. If they don’t post there, they don’t get the badge.

I’m really hoping I’ll have the game finished it time. I have the weekend off, so I’m hoping no interruptions spring up.

Good lord, the boss in the volcano in Act 2 SUUUUUCKS to fight, but by some miracle I won with only 1 party member alive with only  68 HP left! Thank goodness the unlikely ally can hit like a truck.

Normally I’d reset so I could repeat it and try to let everyone live to get the EXP....but that’s not happening this time. Stronger enemies makes that boss a real monster to fight.

Time to take on the Fortress of Fear!

I basically only implemented one strategy I read up on against Tentacular (Right As Rain) and I went to the trouble of getting the cannon, which was basically pointless because it was confused for one turn and still landed all its hits in the turn it was confused. A lucky confluence of events helped me cement a pretty easy win, with only Erik dying in the process. He didn’t try to put me to sleep as much as the first time, he didn’t use his chilly breath often, and I didn’t use Veronica as much (she has incredibly low HP so healing her took someone’s turn almost every turn without fail).

Also, I love how, at the docks during the party, there’s a row of men in line to be “checked out” by Serena for their “injuries” they sustained fighting Tentacular.

• Like 1

The boss at the beginning of the Fortress of Fear makes me wonder if a certain super boss from the series is going to show up at some point, cause the boss in question looks AWFULLY close in design to said super boss.

With all the surprises this game keeps having, I wouldn’t be too shocked!

I was hoping I could finish off the game tonight. I made it all the way through the Fortress of Fear, gaining a few levels thanks to Metal King Slimes showing up in a few fights, and was feeling confident.

Then I tried fighting the boss on the 4th floor. Yeeeeeeah, not dealing with that crap tonight. Honestly I feel like the hero is a hinderance in boss battles now. He’s good for random battles, so he’s probably gonna get the boot from boss fights until I absolutely need to use him.

Before I go to sleep, here’s a good representation of what kept happening in the attempt at that boss:

Felt like I played forever, but mainly 2.5 hours last night. Got on the boat in Act 2 and went back to every single town and campsite I could access. Now, back to the story.