Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

I now have all 6 Orbs! Time to finally head for Yggdrasil!

The cutscene that played after leaving Sniflheim was hilarious, by the way! Have I mentioned I really like this game’s cast of characters, because they have been great in both cutscenes and in party chat.

I am about 80% complete of this game, I am preparing to do battle with the Lord of Shadows... I only have a couple more tasks to complete.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this game and as much of a fan of VIII I am, I really have to say this game blows my expectations away.  I still love VIII because VIII was the stepping stone to getting to this point.  XI really hits it out of the park. Are there things that could be better?  Of course, but this game gets a 99% from me.  I wonder if we will see new content added at a later date like they did with VIII?  I would be all for it, new dungeons, new events, side quests, and new playable characters ---  Mia & Kystalinda first choices... perhaps Gemma and the Prince of Gallopollis.

I’m now just sort of 80 hours and am about to enter the First Forest. I want to forge a few things for the party, and then finally I’ll get to see what awaits at Yggdrasil.

On a side note, I really liked the Sniflheim part of the game. Good story and characters, plus the boss fight of that part was so much better after the Phnom Nonh boss. Erik was my MVP of the Sniflheim boss fight, especially with the ludicrous damage he managed to pull off for the final blow.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Draconian Quest is kicking my butt. I'm around 110 hours in so far fighting a boss to the east of Sniffleheim and man its tough. I keep debating on dropping extra strong monsters but I'm this far in and I don't want the game to be TOO easy.

Okay, here’s the thing.

I made it to Octagonia, doing all that stuff, but then I realize today is September 25 and in my inbox is my key for the Vita port of Timespinner and Hour of the Zombie volume 7 is out today. And then Wednesday is new comic book day, so there’s that. This is why I took a week off!

What puff puff is the last one in the game? i.e. what one should pop the trophy? I'm at Battleground now. Man, it really reminds me of the Catacombs in Dark Souls 1.

Edited by Teclo

9 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Draconian Quest is kicking my butt. I'm around 110 hours in so far fighting a boss to the east of Sniffleheim and man its tough. I keep debating on dropping extra strong monsters but I'm this far in and I don't want the game to be TOO easy.

Is the boss (putting it in spoilers):

Spoiler

The black dragon that’s frozen on the lake east of Sniflheim?

Yes. I've gotten close a few times but always get my party wiped somehow.

Well I've finally beat the final boss. I also got that rare Killing Machine, but not in the area mentioned in the quest. It's been one hell of a ride and I've loved every minute of it.

Spoiler

Now for the post-game.

I now have all 6 Orbs! Time to finally head for Yggdrasil!
The cutscene that played after leaving Sniflheim was hilarious, by the way! Have I mentioned I really like this game’s cast of characters, because they have been great in both cutscenes and in party chat.
I only watched that cutscene to read the text.

Well...I am kind of speechless right now after what just happened in game. I finally get to Yggdrasil and....DAMN.

I really don’t know what else to say right now! I’m really curious how the rest of the game is going to play out, that’s for sure!

Well, the game has certainly taken a turn. A good turn because I didn’t expect it, but a turn none the less. Boy, it’s gonna be hard to talk about my progress without spoiling anything, but I swear I will keep my posts vague. With that said....

I’m now at the point where you team up with an unlikely and unexpected ally as Act 2 (as it seems to be called by others) has gotten underway. The reveals in the first few hours of this part of the game have been good, not to mention happy given what’s happened.

I also want to say how pleased I am to hear where the song “Where is the Hope?” is used at/in the way it’s used. I’ve really liked this song in the symphonic suite, and have been wracking my brain the last 8 months trying to figure out how the song was going to be used. I was not disappointed. VERY fitting song that’s honestly one of the best in XI’s original line-up of music.

Yeah the middle story FMV is really cool and emotionally effective. And I like where the story goes in Act 2. The unlikely party member was surprising to me as well but it works.

• Like 2

This is all I could think about after I finally heard the name of Phnom Nonh pronounced (I couldn't figure it out until I heard it). :)

Decided to start a second playthrough without Stronger Monsters enabled so I can see the difference first hand.  Currently just finished the race at Gallopolis and about to go take on the Slayer of Sands, it's been noticeably easier so far.  I had a handful of normal encounters by this point in my stronger monsters playthrough that I just BARELY got through alive, haven't really been in danger yet so far this time around while actively trying not to level too much.

10 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah the middle story FMV is really cool and emotionally effective. And I like where the story goes in Act 2. The unlikely party member was surprising to me as well but it works.

What’s funny about the unlikely character (again, putting this in spoilers so everyone else DO NOT OPEN IF YOU AREN’T AT THIS POINT):

Spoiler

When he first showed up in the cinematic trailer way back at the end of 2016, I couldn’t help but wonder if he was going to join you at some point. Hendrik gave me a real Magus from Chrono Trigger kind of vibe. Something about his design made me think he was going to be an enemy turned ally, again, like Magus in Chrono Trigger. And with the lack of a character who represented the Knight/Warrior class since all the other playable characters of XI represented classes from III had me suspicious.

I’m REALLY glad my intuition was right.

This character has had some great cutscenes too. What I’ve seen after reaching the destination the two were headed for are great character building moments, and finally sheds some light on the past.

• Like 1

HOORAY! The 8th ally has now officially joined forces with MopTopMo! Ooooooooo I’ve been waiting to finally have this character. And the character even uses one of my favorite weapon types from the series!

Soon enough, it will be time to see what the story will be from here on out.

7 hours ago, Woodus said:

This is all I could think about after I finally heard the name of Phnom Nonh pronounced (I couldn't figure it out until I heard it). :)

This is strangely fitting. Too bad the town doesn’t have a pair of twins named “Do Doo,” and “Du du doo,” or something like that. 😜

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

This is strangely fitting. Too bad the town doesn’t have a pair of twins named “Do Doo,” and “Du du doo,” or something like that.

No, but they do have the more obvious ones "Da" and "Son" ;)

Saved right after the FMV up in Yggy. My son wanted to battle some today, so loaded up right beforehand. Of course he finds a mini-metal, a rare drop I've not had before, and finds an alternate rare monster, defeats it and gets a unique weapon drop. Damnit, time to re-watch the FMV, which I'm probably alone in not really liking.

I have awesome armor and other outfit changing apparel. I dislike FMV that goes back to generic. And the hair looks HORRIBLE in FMV.

36 minutes ago, Woodus said:

No, but they do have the more obvious ones "Da" and "Son" ;)

Can we change the latter one’s name to “Behrs” 🤣

10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Saved right after the FMV up in Yggy. My son wanted to battle some today, so loaded up right beforehand. Of course he finds a mini-metal, a rare drop I've not had before, and finds an alternate rare monster, defeats it and gets a unique weapon drop. Damnit, time to re-watch the FMV, which I'm probably alone in not really liking.

I have awesome armor and other outfit changing apparel. I dislike FMV that goes back to generic. And the hair looks HORRIBLE in FMV.

Full motion video?

Full motion video?
Yes, there's a whole video up there. Starts out with just the characters as they are doing their thing, but mid-way switches to pre-rendered so all the outfits change back to default and become more detailed. The hero's hair blowing in the breeze is not a good look.

Yes, there's a whole video up there. Starts out with just the characters as they are doing their thing, but mid-way switches to pre-rendered so all the outfits change back to default and become more detailed. The hero's hair blowing in the breeze is not a good look.
Platty...why are you just always saying the wrong things these days?

Platty...why are you just always saying the wrong things these days?
I had a helmet on, hadn't see shitty hair in 10 hours and then I need to see each strand in full motion? Meh.