Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Dragon Quest XI Progress

4 hours ago, Nuicki said:

I finally did it.

Stronger monsters.

No fleeing.

Reduced experience. 

I finally fricking did it.  Beat the game. This is the first final boss in dragonquest to 

Reveal hidden contents

Have two actual separate(ish) bodies and one of them be capable of reviving the other.

Dragon side is weaker to ice, easier to poison. Strange as it is to say definitely get the echo skill on Serena and have her use kacrack. Make sure you get the sage stone and have erik heal the whole party after setting up the left side for chip damage.

this one revives the demon half and removes a member for a turn to envenomate said member and knock them down

Demon side is weaker to holy and fire. Has better poison resistance.

This side completely restores MP and peps up both of them

They have a pep skill that puts a sigil under the party for a few turns to constantly damage the party. 

The other pep skill is magic burst which will almost wipe the party from above half health.

This fight is basically mass damage only and not as challenging as the one before it.  

Love the concept though.

But that wasn't as hard as the fight before that one.  That one had more focused attacks and as a note to help anyone the final boss is weak to dazzle.  So, dazzle the final boss, it helps, a lot. Both times but it doesn't help the second round. And yes you can still envenomate the final boss.  Dazzle is your friend near the end.

Also side not electric light may not be good if you do reduced experience. As it succeeded and gave me an MKS and 2 VLMS but I got NO experience.  I came across an MKS naturally and I did receive experience then.

Congrats!  But don't forget to play the post game, you're not done yet!  XD

As for myself, I finished the post game last night with Stronger Monsters enabled.

Spoiler

Very interesting ending, I'll say.  We know where DQ11 fits into the timeline now.  I'll certainly have to stew on it for awhile but I think 11 is my new favorite Dragon Quest game, it ticks pretty much every box for me.  Some annoying backtracking sprinkled throughout but at least in most areas you can just straight up avoid encounters entirely if you want to which made it easier to deal with.  The music ended up not being that bad after all outside of a couple of tracks, though I am looking forward to playing through again (hopefully very soon) when the orchestral music mod for the PC version that's floating around is finished.  The Calasmos fight was super tough and Hendrik's Kerplunk helped me clutch out the win.  My dumb ass though didn't even think to try using the Sword of Light as an item against Calasmos like you do with the Orb in DQ3 and I fought him with that barrier all the way through, can't believe I didn't take the hint LMAO.

Edited by Shadownite

Hey, got back in. Just did all the Gondolia stuff and took off on my boat. I feel like we get a boat earlier then we do in most games, but then I realized I’m 11 hours in, it just feels like the early part of the game and it’s rare to get a boat early (though the boat in VIII comes pretty fast).

Edited by eal

17 minutes ago, eal said:

Hey, got back in. Just did all the Gondolia stuff and took off on my boat. I feel like we get a boat earlier then we do in most games, but then I realized I’m 11 hours in, it just feels like the early part of the game and it’s rare to get a boat early (though the boat in VIII comes pretty fast).

The earliest you get a boat in a DQ game is in 7. Way sooner than 8 or 11.

I’ve got a great topic idea in mind but I want to finish the game first to make sure I have a fully formed opinion on the specific topic. I’m kinda excited about it and I don’t want someone else to make it before me, so I’m getting a big burst of energy to try to play as thoroughly and quickly as possible.

I’ve gotten to what seems to be an infamous part of the game after heading south of the Medal Academy. Specifically I’m at the town of Phnom Nonh, and from what I’ve read the boss of this part of the game is difficult regardless what Draconian limitations you do or don’t have on.

Now, I’m wonder what my opinion on the boss will be. Seems like “that one boss,” for Dragon Quest games like Murdaw’s 2nd fight from VI or the HellCloud fight from VII for example, are ones I don’t have too much trouble with. I don’t do any crazy amounts of grinding in DQ until late game or post game (heck, only time I’ve done grinding in XI is in the Gallopolis region because of the sudden spike in difficulty and I needed to upgrade armor) so I’m not sure if I just get decent RNG or what.

We’ll see if history repeats itself.

• Like 1

I’ve got a great topic idea in mind but I want to finish the game first to make sure I have a fully formed opinion on the specific topic. I’m kinda excited about it and I don’t want someone else to make it before me, so I’m getting a big burst of energy to try to play as thoroughly and quickly as possible.
Waiting to see who hooks up in the end so your shipping isn't too outta left field?

I’ve gotten to what seems to be an infamous part of the game after heading south of the Medal Academy. Specifically I’m at the town of Phnom Nonh, and from what I’ve read the boss of this part of the game is difficult regardless what Draconian limitations you do or don’t have on.
Now, I’m wonder what my opinion on the boss will be. Seems like “that one boss,” for Dragon Quest games like Murdaw’s 2nd fight from VI or the HellCloud fight from VII for example, are ones I don’t have too much trouble with. I don’t do any crazy amounts of grinding in DQ until late game or post game (heck, only time I’ve done grinding in XI is in the Gallopolis region because of the sudden spike in difficulty and I needed to upgrade armor) so I’m not sure if I just get decent RNG or what.
I had no issue with that boss. Maybe its because I went to the Eerie Eyrie first.

7 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
13 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I had no issue with that boss. Maybe its because I went to the Eerie Eyrie first.

We’ll see if that affects my fight too. I went to the Eerie first since it was closer to the Academy, and with some of the NPC dialogue talking about an orb being there I figured it was fair game to go there next.

Anything is better than the trouble I had with Slayer of the Sands. I had to restart that fight a few times because of the lack of Zing and precious few Yggdrasil Leaves at that point. I liked the challenge, but the revival problem plus Sylvando screwing up my sleep to Persecutter strategy for Erik was so annoying.

• Like 1

Did that too. Hell I had a hard time finding Angor Wat or Phom Phem or whatever it's called because I ignored the southern regions.

Anywho... got all the orbs. Figure that puts me pretty close to... midgame?

34 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, eal said:

Waiting to see who hooks up in the end so your shipping isn't too outta left field?

It’s pretty obvious who ends up with who (Rab x Serena obviously), but no.

It’s pretty obvious who ends up with who (Rab x Serena obviously), but no.

Later on they bring Veronica as a quite literal polygamous sister-wife. I've been to their hometown; it feels a bit cultish, this could happen.

....okay, I see why the boss of Phnom Nonh has become “that one boss,” for DQ11. Being able to seal off your abilities is just...#$*! you game. Guess I’m going to be making accessories to block out the boss’s shenanigans.

Well I managed to beat the Phnom Nonh boss an hour later. Only way I won was because Jade and Serena kept using Thunder Thrust while Rab used Multiheal and Sylvando used Acceleratle and Hustle Dance.

Easily the worst boss in the game at this point. At least the reward is worth it, but good lord how did it take me over 65 hours just to get the (putting reward in spoilers):

Spoiler

Magic key?

I’m I just playing really slow or what?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Yes. Yes, you're playing slow. I got that under 40. I'm sure it's a lot due to the restrictions you have.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Yes. Yes, you're playing slow. I got that under 40. I'm sure it's a lot due to the restrictions you have.

COR BLIMEY!

Damn, I figured the harder enemies and no running from battles would slow me down, but not that much! I guess I’m not usually the fastest RPG player though...

Ah well. I’m having fun with the game, and honestly I just love exploring the overworld sections and towns. This is such a gorgeous looking game I want to see what everything looks like! It’s been time well spent because Dragon Quest.

COR BLIMEY!
Damn, I figured the harder enemies and no running from battles would slow me down, but not that much! I guess I’m not usually the fastest RPG player though...
Ah well. I’m having fun with the game, and honestly I just love exploring the overworld sections and towns. This is such a gorgeous looking game I want to see what everything looks like! It’s been time well spent because Dragon Quest.
Don't feel bad. We're playing the same difficulty and it took me about 60 hours to get the key.

Doing post-game stuff for the last week and I'm already considering my second playthrough. What a fun journey!

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

COR BLIMEY!

Harder enemies showed its ugly head in many late game fights, with enemies playing 2-3 times in a row while hitting like trucks and frankly speaking I'm not a big fan.  I think a "No Armour" restriction without harder enemies would be better because the turn count remains fair and the only thing that gets increased is the damage enemies deal to you (because, you know, you're naked). But then you miss all the STYLISH costume changes. Ugh.

On the other hand there's the "weak enemies give no exp" restriction which sounds good on paper but level capping works better in games that are linear all the way through, otherwise it turns into a pain to go "fishing" for enemies that the game considers to be rewarding, instead of simply killing everything you see in an area that you are currently interested in.

I ended up hating the Western Draconian restrictions, as you can tell.

Edited by Shogil

I have now killed 120 Killing Machines in the area around the frozen lake in The Snaerfelt for the quest "A Dish Served Cold". Not a single rare one has shown up, that being the objective of the quest. I've levelled up so much that the hero is nearly is nearly level 60 and I haven't even 

Spoiler

got the party back together again.

I feel like something is glitching out quite badly here.

5 hours ago, Shogil said:

Harder enemies showed its ugly head in many late game fights, with enemies playing 2-3 times in a row while hitting like trucks and frankly speaking I'm not a big fan.  I think a "No Armour" restriction without harder enemies would be better because the turn count remains fair and the only thing that gets increased is the damage enemies deal to you (because, you know, you're naked). But then you miss all the STYLISH costume changes. Ugh.

On the other hand there's the "weak enemies give no exp" restriction which sounds good on paper but level capping works better in games that are linear all the way through, otherwise it turns into a pain to go "fishing" for enemies that the game considers to be rewarding, instead of simply killing everything you see in an area that you are currently interested in.

I ended up hating the Western Draconian restrictions, as you can tell.

Yeah, I’ve gathered that. I like the difficult enemies option since I enjoy stuff like Etrian Odyssey. The only time it’s been really bad was when fighting the boss of Phnom Nonh, but that’s the only time I didn’t like the tougher enemies.

• Upvote 1

Yeah the Phnom boss and one other boss in the post-game were hard but the post-game one has loads of debuffs so it's hard anyways.

7 hours ago, Teclo said:

I have now killed 120 Killing Machines in the area around the frozen lake in The Snaerfelt for the quest "A Dish Served Cold". Not a single rare one has shown up, that being the objective of the quest. I've levelled up so much that the hero is nearly is nearly level 60 and I haven't even 

Reveal hidden contents

got the party back together again.

I feel like something is glitching out quite badly here.

That's so very weird. What lake? All I had to do was move a little bit north from the campsite, right before the path that leads to the Royal Library and it took about 15-20 kills to get the red robot.

Edit: damn doubleposted sorry. 😕

Edited by Shogil

Finally killed my first Liquid Metal Slime thanks to the Electro Light pep skill. Hooray for Thunder Thrust with Serena and Jade and 2 Falcon Blades+3 for MopTopMo!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shogil said:

That's so very weird. What lake? All I had to do was move a little bit north from the campsite, right before the path that leads to the Royal Library and it took about 15-20 kills to get the red robot.😕

The frozen lake mentioned in the quest, in the south of that area. I've gone around the whole area killing them, though. No idea what's going on.

EDIT: I've now killed 146 of them with no rare appearing. If I continue with the game to Act 3, is this quest still doable then? Maybe that'll sort out whatever glitch is going on now.

Edited by Teclo

3 hours ago, Teclo said:

The frozen lake mentioned in the quest, in the south of that area. I've gone around the whole area killing them, though. No idea what's going on.

EDIT: I've now killed 146 of them with no rare appearing. If I continue with the game to Act 3, is this quest still doable then? Maybe that'll sort out whatever glitch is going on now.

I've done it in post-game if that's what you mean by act 3.

While exploring the Sniflheim Library, I found a book that explains the Shypox and where it came from. It was actually a pretty funny story, and it’s cool to see an in-game explanation for it.

Edit: And now I found a book paying homage/referencing the town in DQ1 that’s guarded by the Golem.