Sign in to follow this  
cprmauldin

DQ XI (Western Release): First Impressions Thread

I picked up the game earlier today and got about five hours in before taking a break. I was imagining there would be a lot more going on in this section, but I suppose everyone is busy enjoying the game!

Here are some of my first impressions:

The graphics and soundtrack are beautiful and nostalgic. I would expect nothing less from the DQ team.

I already feel like the portions of the game I've been through have way more to explore than DQ VIII. More ground to cover, rooftops to check out, and little side-quests. I legitimately feel like I've spent significantly more time exploring than I have tending to the main quest.

The skill tree is new and interesting. I have yet to dive deeply into it, so I don't have much more of an impression yet.

The story has been captivating thus far.

The gameplay is fantastic. I love the classic menu system and feel right at home in it. I also like that the enemies are visible on the map so battles can be sought out and/or avoided.

The only things I am still getting used to are the ability to move around during battle, and the auto-run feature. Does anyone know of advantages and/or disadvantages to these features?

...That is all I've got for now. Hopefully you guys will share some of your first impressions as well.

• Like 1

I have put about 15 hours into XI so far. I am really digging it. 

I am personally enjoying the music, it feels nostalgic to me. There is indeed a lot to explore in this entry, each section takes me at least an hour to explore every nook and cranny looking for seeds and medals. I also fight a majority of the monsters I come across.

So far each city has been fun to explore, running across roofs, walking across ropes, even talking to NPCs. The quests aren’t boring in my opinion either. I’ve done each one I’ve come across except for one. 

As for the voice acting, I don’t think it’s half bad honestly. No one bothers me much yet. I’ve just obtained the fifth party member. I’ve unfortunately got a long day ahead of me tomorrow, so hopefully I’m back to it tomorrow night. 

I hope that everyone is enjoying it so far. I certainly am. Oh yeah, the game is beautiful by the way. 

Started the game earlier today and could only get an hour in but discovered that if you name your character Draco, you will get Troadian outfit. Not sure if this applies with other previous hero names but it could be worth the shot

I'm enamored by the game. Everything is so good about it. I'm not too terribly far despite getting the game earlier, but I've also spent a lot of time exploring and just looking at the beautiful scenery.

2 hours ago, AceBrown said:

Started the game earlier today and could only get an hour in but discovered that if you name your character Draco, you will get Troadian outfit. Not sure if this applies with other previous hero names but it could be worth the shot

Um, somehow I got the Troadian outfit anyways. I was so overjoyed when I saw it in my inventory that I nearly wept.

Unfortunately, I've already some across better armor and am no longer wearing it.

I've got the PC version. I just arrived in Downtown Heliodor.

I had a chance to try the game out on my main computer for an hour or so this morning, and was reaching 60 FPS @ 1920 x 1080 with the highest settings no issue (although I later noted, that on my other computer at least, that the bigger Heliodor with more going on definitely made a bigger impact than Cobblestone on the GPU). Dragon Quest XI is absolutely beautiful - it's a visual work of art. 

I have been able to get playable framerates, sometimes even reaching (or nearing, I don't have a frame counter so I can't say for sure) 60 FPS on my GeForce GT 740. However, all but two of the graphics settings had to be turned down to their lowest setting (either 1 or None, depending on the setting - AA and shadows are set to 1 rather than None). Resolution is 1280x720, and the 3D resolution scale is at 65%. Despite these graphical downgrades, however, the game is still absolutely stunning! The game appears to use the same geometry (and maybe textures?) no matter what your settings are, and I find this interesting. I'm surprised the engine can scale so well without any aparent changes in resource level of detail. This is the first UE4 game I think I've played, and I'm impressed.

My theory is that the system requirements given are based on reaching the resolution and framerates listed with all other settings maxed.

I'm excited to try it out on the 750Ti on Thursday/Friday. My buddy has the card for me and I'm still waiting for the new power supply , but that's supposed to arrive the day I return home this week. Assuming it all works (this computer is such a pain to upgrade because of the propeitary case and power supply), that's what I'll be playing on while I'm out-of-state for a few weeks.

As for the changes they've made specifically for the west:

-I'd prefer the original menu layouts, but these look good and they don't take ten minutes to load (I'm looking at you, Dragon Quest VIII) so OK.

-I like the run button. It wasn't necessary but I like it.

-So far they haven't gone too crazy with the puns.

-My first playthrough doesn't have any Draconian Quest settings turned on, but I'll use them as replay value.

-Eight costume looks nice, though it's weird seeing anyone but Eight wear it. I'll probably stick to the default costume for now, but I'd like to know if there's any way to equip that visually while actually having something better equipped.

-I won't delve into the story itself here, but I must note that I feel like it's being spoon-fed to me. I don't know if that's Horii's writing or if it's the localization, though.

Cobblestone is a small village that takes a year to fully explore.

Heliodor was insane!

I do like the use of pre-made speech bubbles for many of the NPCs. Huge time saver.

I fooled around very little with Breath of the Wild, but have watched my son play some. I can't help but feel that the exploration style in DQ 11 was inspired by BOTW. I've explored in every DQ title, but this game is ridiculous!

Anyway, I ut in about 5 and a half hours yesterday, so its my wife's turn for a good chunk of today. Then I get to put in ore time later in the afternoon or tonight!

I'm only a couple hours in and man this game is beautiful. I've been taking it slow and exploring as much as possible (gotta get those mini medals). I've also noticed this game addresses my only real criticism of DQVIII in that game really didn't need to be 3D. Outside of maybe 2 puzzles 8 didn't really do much with its third dimension that hadn't been done in previous games already. Meanwhile 11 has you jumping across rooftops and climbing ledges and the game actually feels like it was designed to be 3D.

9~10 hours in, just got my third party member. Game started off a lot slower than DQVIII, but it definitely picked up after Heliodor.

I have a few minor gripes such as there being a ton of doors/houses the game doesn't let you interact with, and the platforming being a little janky, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Can't wait until I start getting more than 2-3 Skill points per level up so I can actually learn some abilities.

I got about 5 hours in last night (standard PS4).  I have to say so far I'm very pleased with the results.  It cemented my beliefs that this is my go-to JRPG series that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel with every release.  It lives up to my expectations after having played DQVIII for the first time so long ago.  Like others said, exploration will take longer in this one than in past games as there's so many nooks & crannies that can be easily missed...  Did anyone else LOL when the guy in one of the houses in Heliodor complained about breaking his pots, then robbing his closet?!  😆

Edited by mcorleonep
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mcorleonep said:

I got about 5 hours in last night (standard PS4).  I have to say so far I'm very pleased with the results.  It cemented my beliefs that this is my go-to JRPG series that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel with every release.  It lives up to my expectations after having played DQVIII for the first time so long ago.  Like others said, exploration will take longer in this one than in past games as there's so many nooks & crannies that can be easily missed...  Did anyone else LOL when the guy in one of the houses in Heliodor complained about breaking his pots, then robbing his closet?!  😆

Or the lady that spazzes "that's private" whe you peek in her cabinet?

• Upvote 1

It looks like there's "Hints/Tips" on the (PC) load screens - but with my SSD, I can't even get through a few words before they go away. #Complaint #Kidding

14 hours ago, AceBrown said:

The DQ8 outfit is a bonus for everyone in the Western version! Has nothing to do with names. 

16 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

The only things I am still getting used to are the ability to move around during battle, and the auto-run feature. Does anyone know of advantages and/or disadvantages to these features?

You can switch to Classic Camera mode in battle settings if you want. Being able to move around in battle is just for fun. As for auto-run, it's useful when you multitask, haha. 

25 minutes ago, Michi said:

The DQ8 outfit is a bonus for everyone in the Western version! Has nothing to do with names. 

You can switch to Classic Camera mode in battle settings if you want. Being able to move around in battle is just for fun. As for auto-run, it's useful when you multitask, haha. 

So Japan doesn't get the Eight outfit as DLC or anything? Huh. Do they even get the PC port, or was that only released in the west? Seems odd that they wouldn't retroactively make these available in Japan, where everybody and their mother actually plays.

So Japan doesn't get the Eight outfit as DLC or anything? Huh. Do they even get the PC port, or was that only released in the west? Seems odd that they wouldn't retroactively make these available in Japan, where everybody and their mother actually plays.
No PC port for them either. They don't really "get" PC gaming

Speaking of, ill give my impressions of the port.

Intel i5 4670k - Win10 - GTX 1080 FE -1080p 60hz monitor

All in all really solid. I was pretty worried about their choice to include Denuvo as DRM and I don't blame many for boycotting them for doing so...fortunately it doesn't seem to be cause me many problems. Then again I haven't tried to play offline yet.

Framerate is very solid with graphics at max at 1080p. I don't think I've dropped below 60 once. The graphics options, while not as expansive as I would hope, are better than expected for a JRPG and are sufficient. The game looks beautiful on PC and plays perfectly with an Xbox controller. A lot of people are miffed that PS4 controller support wasn't included but that is no surprise really, still a mark against them though.

No ultrawide monitor support unfortunately. This is no real shocker either, but game devs need to get with the times on this. Theres no reason to not include that capability.

I love the speech bubbles, so convenient. Shame the only things so far i've seen that you can rummage through are pots/barrels and drawers.  There's a bunch of sacks hanging on walls but you cant search through them like in previous games. 

I don't think a DQ game has had searchable hanging sacks since VIII PS2. It is a feature I miss, though.

Pretty wierd that you can't search every single barrel, bookcase, or pot like in other games. Many of them are part of the map rather than actual objects.

Just ordered mine a little while ago. Should be here Friday or Amazon's gonna have some 'splainin ta do. :lrsmile: Based on past orders, "guaranteed" by 8pm, but will probably just be with the normal mail in the afternoon... Dumb me, I should've ordered by monday for release day delivery, but I'm flat broke at the moment. Only getting it at all now as an early birthday present... Hope the translation is good. I couldn't make heads nor tails of the 3ds import, using google translate camera phone app.

For those who have the game, can you switch the dialogue boxes to the usual black and white?

Wish I could play, but the Square Enix store hasn't even shipped my Edition of Lost Time yet.  😢

To the searchable thing with all the objects in houses, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand having more searchable stuff is cool on the other hand keeping it to specific types of objects is kinda merciful especially with how huge the enviroments are. I've kinda been blazing through the various cities and I'm missing a lotta stuff XD. My friend already found a seed of STR and AGL that I missed.

15 hours in on pc, just got the last 2 party members(assuming the trailers didn't hide any extra characters :p ).

Playing at 1440p resolution, 6700k/GTX1070Ti, 16GB RAM. Everything maxed out and never drops below 60fps. ❤️

Loving the look of the towns. The little stories being told through each of time. All of the times feel very distinct from each other not only in looks but also thanks to the different accents people have. There's been a great variety of monsters and bosses. While the pacing of the bosses is somewhat predictable, the game/story does throw a nice curveball at you every now and then. After playing Ni No Kuni 2, it feels really good to have a game again with this much voiced dialog. The amount of "cinematic events" also really adds to the experience as a whole.

Regarding the slightly negative stuff: I like the idea of the fun-sized forge and think it's neat to do during campouts, there are several moments where I'm like "Yeah, but I wish I could just use it right now". The very first town has been the one with the "worst" accent. It's not bad, but it's definitely the only where it felt a tiny bit too...exaggerated? Finally: the music is just "ok". It's not grating after long play-sessions, but it's definitely not too pleasant either. Also, the music I enjoyed most felt the most like rehashes of songs from previous games.

Regarding difficulty: I haven't grinded at all during my first 15 hours and I almost never had to struggle. There's one boss at the end of the "4th-town-arc" that did give me some trouble, but I was only about level 18 and was probably underleveled.

My first impression is fricking amazing. I don't think I'll ever find a turn-based JRPG that gives me both a charming story and a difficulty setting that I was looking for years. And the West got the hardest DQ XI version since we have 2 extra choices the Japanese version lacked.

I love having to search every nook and cranny in a new area and be rewarded for that. Too many JRPG's just reward you for walking in the town and being alive.

As a full fledged "weeb" who plays his games strictly with Japanese voice acting for purity reasons I actually grew a huge like towards the English voice acting that I cannot imagine how the game would have been without it.

Performance-wise I'm surprised my GTX 660 can play it on a steady 30 fps (with spikes when a new area loads) given I'm below minimum requirements in GPU.

22 hours ago, BorisTheWizard said:

9~10 hours in, just got my third party member. Game started off a lot slower than DQVIII, but it definitely picked up after Heliodor.

I have a few minor gripes such as there being a ton of doors/houses the game doesn't let you interact with, and the platforming being a little janky, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Can't wait until I start getting more than 2-3 Skill points per level up so I can actually learn some abilities.

Took me a while to realize that I can only interact with doors that are red on the map.

Edited by Shogil