And I think you’re taking one of my posts too seriously again.
Well I guess that was mostly aimed at Platty but I replied to you since it felt relevant and I'm too lazy to scroll up.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I finally got there in the English version, things make so much more sense this time around Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried beating the game two levels lower, but got my ass handed to me by the boss's first form. Super strong monsters mode doesn't screw around. (I love it and would have hated playing without it)

Something tells me I won't be getting this badge. I tend to talk to every NPC multiple times to get maximum dialogue. My getting the Heroes 2 Light speed badge was a fluke.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
6 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:
You must not be a real fan since you didn’t use Draconian settings.

Damn, I thought it'd be at least another 12 years here on the Den before someone caught on. C'mon, Twinsie, whatcha gotta rat me out for?

Well, it was only a matter of time before someone revealed you sit on a throne of lies. Also why there’s always a smell of beef and cheese whenever you post around here. 😜

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1
I’m playing without Draconian settings and it is the same combat, just easier. If anything, aren’t Draconian settings meant to make the game harder and to mix up the classic combat?
Its definitely harder than classic DQ, but its much closer to the old school difficulty than normal mode is.
  • Like 1

The one game I wish did have a stronger enemies option was DQ7. Both versions are a tad too easy when it comes to combat.

1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:
4 minutes ago, eal said:
I’m playing without Draconian settings and it is the same combat, just easier. If anything, aren’t Draconian settings meant to make the game harder and to mix up the classic combat?

Its definitely harder than classic DQ, but its much closer to the old school difficulty than normal mode is.

The DS remakes are also easier then the older games but they are still the same combat. Nothing about the difficulty being made easier changes the gameplay, aside from making faster to level up and earn gold and such.

• Like 1
Nothing wrong with playing without Draconian, but its definitely not the same same combat that's been around for decades. Vanilla monsters are much easier than earlier games.
What@eal said above. How does difficulty change the combat system? It mean it's 95.12% identical to to DQVI, 85.34% similar to Dragon Quest I.

I think he just meant difficulty, not the system.

I think he just meant difficulty, not the system.
I always power level and metal hunt like crazy in every DQ game so asking me about difficulty is like asking me about the soundtrack.

It's not supposed to be easy?

DQ games have sound?

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

The same combat system around for decades? Yes, yes I did.

I don't play Dragon Quest for a challenge. If I want that I'll pull out a SMT game or soemthing else. Dragon Quest is like ice cream. It needs to go down easy.

I'm actually shocked to see your shocked comment. The "casual gaming" market is many multiples greater than any sort of hardcore gamer market. It makes sense that many many many more magnitudes of players would want the more casual, easier experience. I mean, if the main demographic wanted harder DQ games, they'd make the game hard and then add a Slime Mode for the casual market.

I'm shocked because everywhere I looked before starting the game I saw people proclaiming that the strong monsters was "the" way to play the game, and should have been the default setting, and after playing the game myself I'm very inclined to agree. I would have imagined more people would have enabled that setting, especially after all the feedback from the Japanese release that the game was supposedly "too easy".

I absolutely loved DQXI, but at least 50% of that was due to the gameplay. Almost the entirety of the game time not spent watching cutscenes is spent fighting enemies or running around finding gear and materials, crafting stuff, improving your skills, etc. A ton of stuff that's basically pointless if you can just "use strongest attack" throughout every boss battle and come through victorious.

Almost every time I've seen someone claiming that the game wasn't very interesting and that the combat is too basic to be fun, their complaints could have been mitigated by playing on the stronger draconian setting.
If you still loved the game, everything is fine and dandy. But it's a little sad that a lot of people don't get to experience the best the game have to offer because they missed a setting hidden away behind a button press on the name entry screen.

22 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

What@eal said above. How does difficulty change the combat system? It mean it's 95.12% identical to to DQVI, 85.34% similar to Dragon Quest I.

DQXI has by far the best combat out of any Dragon Quest game I have ever played. It is baffling to me that they were able to take what was basically the same system from the classic games, and employ it in a way that's as incredibly tactical and satisfying as DQXI "on hard".

Usually some of the highlight of any DQ game for me had been when a boss suddenly presented a spike in difficulty forcing me to take the battle seriously, and prepare sufficiently in order to be able to survive. Not only does it make you consider you actions in battle more, it also helps back up world building, and present some monsters and characters as genuinely threatening. Dhoulmagus is a classic example, but also pretty much nothing in DQVIII presented a challenge after that fight.
In DQXI almost every single boss in the entire game did that. And we are not just talking about grinding (which I hardly ever did), but crafting gear that would help me resist the boss's attacks, as well as changing my party setup drawing on the strengths of various members and how they support eachother. Almost every boss has required  a different strategy, and in DQXI you have to make use of every single tool you have at your disposal in order to have a slight chance of survival. I can't think of any other Dragon Quest game that does that. I loved it.
But the difficulty might also be a bit tough for newcomers and casuals (I would recommend the game to my girlfriend, but I would never suggest she played with strong monsters on) - it would have been nice with a better balanced default difficulty.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1
DQXI has by far the best combat out of any Dragon Quest game I have ever played. It is baffling to me that they were able to take what was basically the same system from the classic games, and employ it in a way that's as incredibly tactical and satisfying as DQXI "on hard".
Usually some of the highlight of any DQ game for me had been when a boss suddenly presented a spike in difficulty forcing me to take the battle seriously, and prepare sufficiently in order to be able to survive. Not only does it make you consider you actions in battle more, it also helps back up world building, and present some monsters and characters as genuinely threatening. Dhoulmagus is a classic example, but also pretty much nothing in DQVIII presented a challenge after that fight.
In DQXI almost every single boss in the entire game did that. And we are not just talking about grinding (which I hardly ever did), but crafting gear that would help me resist the boss's attacks, as well as changing my party setup drawing on the strengths of various members and how they support eachother. Almost every boss has required  a different strategy, and in DQXI you have to make use of every single tool you have at your disposal in order to have a slight chance of survival. I can't think of any other Dragon Quest game that does that. I loved it.
But the difficulty might also be a bit tough for newcomers and casuals (I would recommend the game to my girlfriend, but I would never suggest she played with strong monsters on) - it would have been nice with a better balanced default difficulty.
I wouldnt say its the best the game has to offer. Someome who plays without stronger monsters isn't going to miss out on something huge. Yes it does improve the game in my opinion, but not everyone wants to play it like that.
18 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm shocked because everywhere I looked before starting the game I saw people proclaiming that the strong monsters was "the" way to play the game, and should have been the default setting, and after playing the game myself I'm very inclined to agree. I would have imagined more people would have enabled that setting, especially after all the feedback from the Japanese release that the game was supposedly "too easy".

I absolutely loved DQXI, but at least 50% of that was due to the gameplay. Almost the entirety of the game time not spent watching cutscenes is spent fighting enemies or running around finding gear and materials, crafting stuff, improving your skills, etc. A ton of stuff that's basically pointless if you can just "use strongest attack" throughout every boss battle and come through victorious.

Almost every time I've seen someone claiming that the game wasn't very interesting and that the combat is too basic to be fun, their complaints could have been mitigated by playing on the stronger draconian setting.
If you still loved the game, everything is fine and dandy. But it's a little sad that a lot of people don't get to experience the best the game have to offer because they missed a setting hidden away behind a button press on the name entry screen.

I’m admittedly not that far along, but my first big difficulty spike was Tentacular and that fight in particular required me to utilize my entire party to defeat him. Earlier, I’d just use whatever four characters were in my party at the time. I got lucky when he didn’t attack as aggressively as he did the first time he completely wrecked me so I didn’t have to go too in-depth with my strategy, but I had to think outside the box a lot more then with the previous bosses to work out a plan.

• Like 1

Draconian doesn’t appeal to me. It goes too overboard without being a legit hard mode.

3 minutes ago, Sackchief said:

Draconian doesn’t appeal to me. It goes too overboard without being a legit hard mode.

What would a “legit hard mode,” be then?

7 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

I wouldnt say its the best the game has to offer. Someome who plays without stronger monsters isn't going to miss out on something huge. Yes it does improve the game in my opinion, but not everyone wants to play it like that.

I'll respectfully disagree. To me it was huge. :) Biggest gameplay experience of a JRPG in years.

7 hours ago, eal said:

I had to think outside the box a lot more then with the previous bosses to work out a plan.

"thinking outside the box" really describes the combat will I think. Most of the boss fights forced me to think of a new way to manage their attacks. There are some really creative constallations.

What would a “legit hard mode,” be then?

Things like no dungeon maps and monsters being quicker on the field.
  • Like 1