Who is localizing?

Bear is localizing.
How can this be!

Shloc, I assume. Nice to see they have more than just a splash page on their site now! They don't have much of a social media presence, but DQ games do have a whole lotta text.

@Dwaine what happened to plus alpha that they became shloc?

They're completely different people, though all of them worked on DQ since VIII. Oli Chance heads it. He was Plus Alpha's editor on most of their games. I'm not sure how many people work with them. Honeywood was involved with Ni no Kuni, so he may contract with them. Plus Alpha may too. I haven't talked to them in a long time. Shame, 'cause they're my favorite DQ people to talk to.

Plus alpha hasn't done any projects since shloc started.  So I figured given their translations are so similar in style I figured they were the same people.

Any DQ games. They've released a couple since. Their most recent was the Professor Layton mobile game. I'm sure they're still involved in some way. Even with fluent speakers, there's no way two dudes can translate that many text heavy games in that many languages on their own.

• Like 1

Some of the staff.

English
Atsuko Hirose
John Taylor
Geraint Howells

German
Andreas Teubler

French
Adeline Guichard-Lepetit

Spanish
Aurora Ramirez Martinez-Esparza (Now that's one long last name. I'm impressed!)

Italian
Gaetano Fabozzi

• Upvote 1

Okay I'm confused. The guy who localized XI: how many DQ games have they localized before this?

The people that worked on XI have also had a hand in VII, Heroes I+II, and Builders.

The people that worked on XI have also had a hand in VII, Heroes I+II, and Builders.
Okay, thats what I wanted to know. I was pleased with the localizations for those games, for the most part
5 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

That’s good to know. I thought the localization for VII 3DS was really good, as was what I’ve seen in Builders.

Yep. Totally pleased with it. It seems like they actually toned down a lot of the puns and dialects since they would ve having actors voice large portions of the dialogue.

Ok so the voices are a pretty mixed bag. Erik's voice actor sounds totally disinterested, and can't figure out his own accept, but how about that Veronica voice acting! I absolutely love her. I wasn't really interested in the added voices for the western release, but this is the kind of stuff that genuinely improves the game.

Veronica's voice actor is definitely into her work... To a fault. Veronica is honestly really annoying to listen to. And her attitude is like double Maribel but without any redeeming qualities.

Veronica's voice actor is definitely into her work... To a fault. Veronica is honestly really annoying to listen to. And her attitude is like double Maribel but without any redeeming qualities.
She's NOwhere near as bad as Maribel.
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
30 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

No one is as bad as Maribel. She has no redeeming qualities.

From what I’ve played, Veronica is aggressive, whereas Maribel is an aggressive bully.

Edited by eal
29 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
42 minutes ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Yeah, Veronica is definitely not another Maribel. I’ve grown to not hate Maribel as much, as I can see why others would like her and she does go through character growth at a certain point of DQ7 (won’t spoil it but certain events make her realize a few things about herself), but Maribel can just be straight up mean to ANYONE.

Veronica is aggressive, but never in an rude remark for no reason kind of way. She has her spats with Erik and gets on her sister’s case a little (such as when sharing their story with Sylvando), but with the former it’s mainly when the first meet and the other just seems like a sibling relationship. She admires Sylvando and his mysterious nature/fact he owns his own ship, genuinely wants to help the hero and the others, and is quick to forgive and lend a hand. She reminds me of someone I know; a little rough sometimes in how she acts, but would help in a heartbeat and could get along with you no matter what kind of background you had.

Maribel just has a stick up her butt for no reason. Even after her character growth, she still makes undeserved rude comments.

I'm a big fan of Veronica and Maribel for similar reasons, but I agree there's a huge difference between them. Maribel is not a nice person, but that is mostly caused by her own insecurity, which I think is an adorable trait, that the game (and localization) displays with an admirable deal of nuance. I can understand why a lot of people don't like her, and I would hate her IRL.

Veronica is an extremely righteous person, and is only aggressive when she holds other people to her standards. She has a healthy sense of humor, and knows when to be less serious, and she is not afraid to show respect when it is deserved. I would admire her IRL.