Dragon Quest XI Review Thread

3 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

It is a little irritating that somebody would review a DQ game and then complain about bunny girls. At least attempt to understand the franchise that you're reviewing.

I understand the franchise pretty well, and the criticism doesn't bother me. The image of a sexualized woman in a bunny costume is an idea that DQ borrows from the West, but in Japan it doesn't have the same context that it has in the US. 

He mentions the pervy old guy too, and it's tough to find something that doesn't feature that archetype.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, eal said:

Obligatory Jim Sterling video:

That was a good video. I wondered if Jim would talk about it, and it’s cool to hear he’s played other games in the series and has enjoyed them.

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That was a good video. I wondered if Jim would talk about it, and it’s cool to hear he’s played other games in the series and has enjoyed them.

He’s a huge and unapologetic Dynasty Warriors fan, so he naturally also did a video on Heroes and also had some kind words for it.

Just from what I’ve played, a lot of what he’s said about XI sounds about right from what I’d expect from a non-hardcore fan. He also had some stuff to say about it on his podcast where he basically said the same things in the video but went into more detail about the graphics looking weird when it comes to people, and he appreciated that they didn’t feel the need to reinvent the JRPG wheel and were sticking to a winning formula.

51 minutes ago, eal said:

He’s a huge and unapologetic Dynasty Warriors fan, so he naturally also did a video on Heroes and also had some kind words for it.

Just from what I’ve played, a lot of what he’s said about XI sounds about right from what I’d expect from a non-hardcore fan. He also had some stuff to say about it on his podcast where he basically said the same things in the video but went into more detail about the graphics looking weird when it comes to people, and he appreciated that they didn’t feel the need to reinvent the JRPG wheel and were sticking to a winning formula.

Yeah, his Dynasty Warriors 9 video and his extreme disappointment with how they treated his favorite character (can’t recall name right now, sorry) was pretty evident. It’s interesting to hear him talk about the series, since I wouldn’t have imagined it would be one of his favorites. I can get why he likes it though (especially the hammy English voice acting).

Out of curiosity, did he mention what other games from the series he’s played in the podcast?

11 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, his Dynasty Warriors 9 video and his extreme disappointment with how they treated his favorite character (can’t recall name right now, sorry) was pretty evident. It’s interesting to hear him talk about the series, since I wouldn’t have imagined it would be one of his favorites. I can get why he likes it though (especially the hammy English voice acting).

Out of curiosity, did he mention what other games from the series he’s played in the podcast?

He just mentioned really liking VIII, as he does in the video, but I remember last year when he said he didn’t have time to play the 3DS remake because of how busy it was around that time. Laura Kate Dale hadn’t played as much so she didn’t wanna go into specifics but she also seemed to like XI. I think she mentioned being into Builders when it came out?

I don’t care much for Dynasty Warriors personally but I can respect someone who will go to bat for an unpopular franchise and will give strong reasoning for why he like it.

Do you have a link to the podcast?
10 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
1 hour ago, eal said:

Do you have a link to the podcast?

From his website: http://www.thejimquisition.com/podquisition-episode-198-the-stink-of-desperation/

It’s also the most recent episode on iTunes. Can’t remember when the discussion starts but it goes on for a bit so if you skip around you’ll find it.