Grandia I and II HD Remasters heading to the Switch

I’ll post the article contents in a second. Here’s the link in the meantime.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/20/grandia-i-and-ii-hd-remaster-sailing-to-the-nintendo-switch/

Gungho Online Entertainment America has revealed two Nintendo Switch projects. It will be bringing Grandia HD Remaster and Grandia II HD Remaster to the console. Release windows were not announced, but Grandia II HD Remaster will be playable at PAX West 2018 between August 31 and September 3, 2018. (Thanks, IGN!)

In addition to the Nintendo Switch Grandia projects, one was revealed for the PC. Grandia HD Remaster will be heading to that platform as well. As a reminder, Gungho previously released Grandia II: Anniversary Edition on the PC on August 24, 2015.

Grandia originally appeared on the Sega Saturn in Japan in 1997, before appearing on the PlayStation in Japan, North America, and Europe. Grandia II first appeared on the Dreamcast, before also making appearances on the PlayStation 2 and PC.

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/20/grandia-i-and-ii-hd-remaster-sailing-to-the-nintendo-switch/#qZw76bUmAuvJdX8d.99

Hopefully this will lead to a revival of the series.

Hopefully physical releases on the Switch, otherwise unfortunately a pass from me.

I'd love to replay these games. I played 2 on the PS2, and it was incredibly buggy.

I still have PlayStation and Dreamcast copies of Grandia 1 and 2 respectively, and the remaster for Steam of 2.  Can't wait for this!  Hope it'll be in a single Switch card.

OMFG...Oh.  My.  Bloody.  #$*!ing.  God!

I was just looking for a remake, but this is close enough.  AWESOME!

Remakes (or remasters I guess), needed:

1) Breath of Fire...do it Capcom, see how popular the series really is, so you'll reconsider making a real game rather than more mobile trash.

2) Phantasy Star...restart from scratch SEGA.  Actually release worldwide, actually advertise.  Fix the glaring issues of PS2's god awful dungeon designs that were barely addressed in the first remake, and the half-baked PS1 dungeon handling.

3) Lunar...c'mon Game Arts, Lunar has had one decent release recently, but it wasn't followed up with Eternal Blue.  All subsequent releases since EB have been absolute crap.  Do this, get some money, make a real Lunar.

4) Quintet games...Enix SFC years and Granstream Saga...ALL OF THEM.  SE, buy out the bloody rights, stop being stupid.  Buy them out, remake or remaster them, especially Soul Blazer, Granstream Saga, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, and Actraiser.  See how popular they are, start making more by rehiring the group and add them to Tokyo RPG Factory.  That place needs more creative talent because Chrono Trigger cloning is getting old when it can't differentiate from the original enough to distinguish...though sadly Lost Sphear didn't do nearly as well as it ought to have.

5) Lufia...no more crap remakes.  Give me the real thing.

Edited by ignasia
10 minutes ago, ignasia said:

4) Quintet games...all of them...ALL OF THEM.

Never realized you were such a big fan of Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask.

I can’t wait to hear the super cheesy voice acting of Grandia 1 again. No one talks enough about how ridiculous the dialogue sounds by the voice cast. Especially how Rapp and Mullen sound...😳

It probably won’t happen, but I’d love the option to have old party members join you again. Maybe a party swap feature like the 2D remakes of Final Fantasy IV have. Just let me use Gadwin or Milda a little longer in the party at least!

3 hours ago, eal said:

Never realized you were such a big fan of Inuyasha: The Secret of the Cursed Mask.

Oh, they did work on that game.  Ok, so their games under Enix, and Granstream Saga.

Forgot about everything after Granstream.  Not exactly stellar, with two exceptions.  Shenmue being one, which is already remastered anyhow.

Hopefully physical releases on the Switch, otherwise unfortunately a pass from me.
I'd love to replay these games. I played 2 on the PS2, and it was incredibly buggy.
You know, I hear that all the time yet I played it and never had an issue. I wonder if it was because it was on a slim PS2 or I just got lucky.
9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
19 hours ago, Fates said:

You know, I hear that all the time yet I played it and never had an issue. I wonder if it was because it was on a slim PS2 or I just got lucky.

Slim, most likely.  The problem with the original PS2 is the spinner is weighted, so any game that's even a micron or two off won't spin properly as it tilts a hair in one direction or another, and thus won't align properly.  This is typically because the piece in the center that holds the game and spins it, doesn't push down hard enough to avoid pressing too hard against the plastic beneath.  Given the slim forces you to snap in the disc, ala PS1 style, this is never an issue, as the disc is always in the right space.

To fix this problem in the PS2 fat, you need a disc cover placed either on top or bottom.  It won't matter.  The several micron thick piece of plastic will be enough to assure it's held in place properly, spins properly, and thus reads/runs properly.

• Like 1
Slim, most likely.  The problem with the original PS2 is the spinner is weighted, so any game that's even a micron or two off won't spin properly as it tilts a hair in one direction or another, and thus won't align properly.  This is typically because the piece in the center that holds the game and spins it, doesn't push down hard enough to avoid pressing too hard against the plastic beneath.  Given the slim forces you to snap in the disc, ala PS1 style, this is never an issue, as the disc is always in the right space.
To fix this problem in the PS2 fat, you need a disc cover placed either on top or bottom.  It won't matter.  The several micron thick piece of plastic will be enough to assure it's held in place properly, spins properly, and thus reads/runs properly.
It pays to be 1/2 to 1 generation behind!
#switch2020
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

It pays to be 1/2 to 1 generation behind!
#switch2020

LOL, yes, it does.  I'll probably have a 10~20 game switch library before I have a switch.

• Like 1
LOL, yes, it does.  I'll probably have a 10~20 game switch library before I have a switch.
Oh, I got too much else to pick up on the cheap before then. Unless it's a DQ exclusive, I'll get it in 2020 used.
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
6 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Oh, I got too much else to pick up on the cheap before then. Unless it's a DQ exclusive, I'll get it in 2020 used.

Hmm, like what's on your list?

19 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I can’t wait to hear the super cheesy voice acting of Grandia 1 again. No one talks enough about how ridiculous the dialogue sounds by the voice cast. Especially how Rapp and Mullen sound...😳

It probably won’t happen, but I’d love the option to have old party members join you again. Maybe a party swap feature like the 2D remakes of Final Fantasy IV have. Just let me use Gadwin or Milda a little longer in the party at least!

I love Rapp, especially when he casts his fire spell:  "Hundred Million Degrees! Take that!"

On 8/21/2018 at 4:49 AM, Plattym3 said:
On 8/20/2018 at 7:06 PM, Fates said:

well, to clarify, I never hit any game-breaking bugs. But the game would really slow down in spots. I remember in one of the towns the game became nearly unplayable it was so laggy with the camera.

I wonder how the old PC version was that released at the same time. It was still Ubisoft, so I imagine it was still pretty rough.

Anyway, I really want to revisit both games, so I hope Gung-ho doesn't keep us in the dark as far as media goes. And whether it will get a physical release, which to me is a huge deal.

Grandia 1 I had on PS1, but I got REALLY sick around the time I was playing it and "played" (I was half dead) it while I was sick. So I associated the game with that being sick so I never went back to it. Then the movers stole half my PS1 games (long story) including that one so that was that.

• 4 weeks later...

Some information on the HD versions of the games are up. I’m having trouble getting the article to copy/paste, so I’ll just provide the link for now.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/20/grandia-i-and-ii-hd-remaster-preliminary-features-lists-revealed/

• 3 weeks later...

I still have my original copies of these games, I'll buy them if they have new content.  I think most users on here who read and know my posts know what a addition addict I am.

New side quests, dungeons w/ bosses/ New Playable characters.... 

I also have three and Grandia Xtreme...

• Like 1
I still have my original copies of these games, I'll buy them if they have new content.  I think most users on here who read and know my posts know what a addition addict I am.
Don't be ashamed of Xtreme. I loved that game just as much as the rest!
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
7 hours ago, Madrigal said:

Don't be ashamed of Xtreme. I loved that game just as much as the rest!

Xtreme Beach Valleyball? Figured as much.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
5 hours ago, eal said:
Xtreme Beach Valleyball? Figured as much.

Worth it for the boob physics engine alone.

Extreme 3 Vita uses an older engine, I’ve heard.