Where were you when... DQ releases

OK, we might all remember where we were on September 11, 2001 or other significant historical events, but where were you on release day for DQIX, or DQVIII, or... how far back can you recall?  Not talking rereleases or side games, just the big ones 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9.

DQIX - I was a few months into my years-long break from gaming, had been divorced a bit and was focused on dating and finding the next Mrs. Platty. I did run over to the mall within the first couple days to get my copy & strategy guide, but I'd only put in 40ish hours the next 2 years combined before I'd find the right Mrs. Platty and settle back into domesticated life and gaming again. :female::wuvwuv:

DQVIII - I remember slipping out of school during a planning period to go pick up my preordered copy & strategy guide from GameStop.  Got back to school and sat in my huge Science closet for 30 minutes pouring over the strategy guide.  Man, I miss that closet and the great naps I'd take in there during afternoon planning periods. :snooze:

DQVII - missed even knowing this was out, got it maybe a year later with a used PS1 on eBay

DQVI & DQV - played on translated ROMs years after release

DWII - DWIV - got these within a couple weeks of release from Babbages, it was always hard to know when they were coming out or when I could get a ride to the mall (or save up the money)

DWI - got it from Nintendo Power long after it's release; even longer because my grandmother ordered it and kept it at her house until Christmas

Edited by Plattym3
  • Like 1

DQI - Wasn’t born
DQII - Wasn’t born
DQIII - Wasn’t horn
DQIV - Wasn’t born
DQV - Wasn’t born (yeesh)
DQVI - Was a baby
DQVII - Didn’t discover DQ yet
DQVIII - At a game shop day one to buy it, thank you Shonen Jump demo disc for getting me sold on the series

I tracked down the GB remakes after cementing a love for 8 (like many) and only managed to get my hands on the NES games and DQVII at pawn shops and thrift stores when I became old enough to drive around. The only DQ launches I’ve been able to witness since becoming a fanboy are DQVIII and IX and also the remakes. And this is pretty much because I’m too young (early 20s). So yeah a DQ launch is not something I’ve been able to be a part of too often so I’m understandably excited for next month lol.

• Like 2

Edited by ignasia

I did not get into the series until DQVIII, though I was technically aware it existed -- I had an old Mario Tennis issue with a spread on the Dragon Warrior I+II combo game, which I noticed had the same art as Dragon Ball Z. I received the demo disk in Shonen Jump and remember seeing large cardboard ads outside of GameStop back in middle school, which was the first indication I had that it was out.

I missed IX when it dropped, but all I really had to play DQ-wise in high school was Rocket Slime.

42 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

which I noticed had the same art as Dragon Ball Z.

I am so flabbergasted that the franchise isn't bigger on the basis of that alone. I always say slap some ads on during Dragon Ball Super on Toonami and see what happens...

Anyway, I can't really participate on this the thread. I've been in the same place I've been since I came across DQ6 on an emulator way back in the day. I'm working on my life now, but it's a slow process. Hopefully I'll be elsewhere for DQXII haha

Most releases I would have been in school or college. With XI, I’m in adult working land. I do remember going up to GameStop after school when DQVI DS came out so I pick up my copy, the Slime plush that came with it as a pre-order bonus, and the strategy guide.

I - Christmas 1989 along with DuckTales and Tetris. It was a very cold and rainy Christmas, which made exploring Alefgard easy.

II - Christmas 1990. Actually had rented it a month earlier and beat it. Still asked for it, though. My dad let me open a gift early before going out of town. There was a lot of nothing to do during that week, so exploring the world helped get through what would've been days that lasted forever.

III - Spring Break 1992. III was supposed to come out around August of 1991, but it kept getting delayed. The reason Enix kept giving was to "improve the graphics," but it looks the same. My mother was in the hospital downtown. Happened to drop by the mall on the way there and snagged the display copy. I could only play it at night. During that entire week we all had to go sit at the hospital room and do absolutely nothing. I brought the manual every day.

IV - Christmas 1992. Freshman in high school. Played it a whole bunch. Weather was particularly clear and sunny, but cold. I'd go outside thinking it was nice, but then, "Nope, back to DW IV!"

V - Saw plenty of tiny articles with that one screen shot, but...

VI - April/May 1996. I was a senior in high school. There was quite a bit of coverage here in the US about VI. I think a lot of it had to do with Chrono Trigger's success. It reignited my interest in the series and Toriyama's work without ever getting to play it.

VII - November 2001. Enix was back and all was good. Bought a PS2 just to play it since my PS1 went kaput.

VIII - Thanksgiving 2005. A pretty good year. It's never been my favorite holiday, but that was a good year. Also the John Mayer Trio album was released that same week!

IX - In the hospital! That's when my gallbladder decided to fail. I had my review copy accompanying me to all my doctor's visits. (Also with me when I got a bad doctor who made no attempt to diagnose me, I wanted a second opinion, my mom (who wasn't there) said I needed to listen to him "because he's a doctor," and I threw a Cheerios box at her. Checked into the hospital on the release date, 7-11. It was a really crazy, scary week and IX was a great comfort. It will always have a special place in my heart.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

III - Spring Break 1992. III was supposed to come out around August of 1991, but it kept getting delayed. The reason Enix kept giving was to "improve the graphics," but it looks the same. My mother was in the hospital downtown. Happened to drop by the mall on the way there and snagged the display copy. I could only play it at night. During that entire week we all had to go sit at the hospital room and do absolutely nothing. I brought the manual every day.

After reading yours I realize it was DWIII that I remember buying the most as a youngster.  My mom let me stay home from school one day randomly (I'm sure there was a good reason back then) and dragged me to the mall for some chore and last-minute I remembered to check Babbages.  Yep, it was there.  Then we had to go out to lunch and do other boring stuff to waste time until it was time to pick my sister up from school.  I read that manual so many times over the ensuing hours until I got home trying to figure out what was up with jobs & such!!

2 hours ago, Fates said:

I am so flabbergasted that the franchise isn't bigger on the basis of that alone. I always say slap some ads on during Dragon Ball Super on Toonami and see what happens...

I always hear this and always think of myself when I do: I don't really know what Dragon Ball is other than a vague "it's a TV show/comic/card game". I don't watch anime or cartoons really ever in the past 30ish years and never got into card games or the like. So, for fans like me (or non-fans) I just have to take your word for it that it's a big deal.

4 hours ago, Fates said:

I am so flabbergasted that the franchise isn't bigger on the basis of that alone.

You would think so, wouldn't you?

But I'm not all that surprised. Even at the start of the DQ Renaissance, I only ever came across ads in dedicated nerd-zones, like Shonen Jump. I know IX had TV ads, which I never saw. SQEX seems to have a historic problem with advertising in the States (not counting what Liamland's told us about advertising for XI).

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

So, for fans like me (or non-fans) I just have to take your word for it that it's a big deal.

Don't take our word for it. It's so big they had a live showing of the final fight of Dragon Ball Super in Mexico City.

Edited by JaybirdC

DQ1:  I watched the old Nintendo ad for the original game, shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qL5_3EhqK8

After that, and a few articles from Nintendo Power, I rented the game at my local small-time video store.  Later that year was the Nintendo Power promotion where I got the game as a gift from my parents.

DQ2 and DQ3:  I rented this from another video store AFTER I found Dragon Warrior 3.  The video stores I got each from  were different, and one didn't have part 2.  So I ended up playing DQ3 before DQ2.

DQ4:  This came out around my 13th birthday, so I got it as a gift at that time.

DQ 5 and 6: Didn't get to play these until well into adulthood, on the DS remakes.

DQ7: Christmas present in 2001, didn't even know it existed til November that year.

DQ8 bought it from a Circuit City near release day and was one of few who didn't buy it only for the FF12 demo.  :P

DQ9:  Bought this in Meriden Gamestop, at the mall, and loved it from day one. Still haven't beaten the Zoma Grotto boss.

DQ10: @Plattym3, can I borrow your "it's not coming"stamp?

DQ11: Waffling between getting it on launch and waiting for the Switch version.  I'd dearly love to play it anywhere I want.

DQ1:  I played this as a rental over at my aunt's house. We didn't get a NES until years later, and it was the third game that we got for the NES after SMB3 and TMNT2 The Arcade game.

DQ2 and DQ3:  My brother was in high school and college when these came out and he got them but I didn't play them much, as he always hogged the NES for his RPGs.

DQ 4, 5, 6: Didn't  know about these until I was an adult, I got them on the DS.

DQ7: My Ex bought this for me around 2006-07 for either Christmas or my Birthday. We both enjoyed DQ8 on the PS2, so she got me 7 and th the strategy guide, but I mainly play this now on the 3DS.

DQ8: My Ex, when we first started dating was playing this game. It was pretty awesome and hit me straight in the nostalgia. This game is what got me back into the franchise.

DQ9:  My brother and I bought this on a 40 hour round trip family road trip at the Bentoville Walmart on release day. We heard it had multiplayer and were a little disapointed in how limited that multiplayer was.

DQ10: Didn't know this game existed until I came here. I still hate that it never was released here. Maybe one day there will be a a private server with an English patch!

DQ11: I have this game pre-ordered off of Amazon with release day shipping! I have the week off to spend with the family while I play this epic game!

DQH1: I got this as soon as I got my PS4! It was the game that I wanted the system for.

DQB: I downloaded the Japanese demo just to get a chance to play this game sooner! What an awesome game! I can't wait for the sequel to come out in the next few years!

DQH2: Another PS4 game that I got on release day! I enjoyed this game to no end!

DQ Swords: I got this at the nearby mall for the Wii around 2009. It was fun but a little bit of a letdown from DQ8. 

A walk through my Dragon Quest history:

Dragon Warrior I - I first saw it at a friend's birthday in 1989 and saved up for it a few months later. I was 10 years old.

Dragon Warrior II-IV - I got these when they came out for NES.

I fell off DQ for awhile, but I did briefly play the Japanese version the year it was released, because my friend had an emulation hardware add-on to his SNES that he somehow got overseas (I believe it was called the Doctor, or Game Doctor. It was an impressive piece of hardware for the 90s. It could load saved roms from 3.5 floppy disks onto this hardware add-on to the SNES. He had stacks and stacks of floppy disks and one of them was DQV.) That was officially the first time I played DQV.

With the pending release of Dragon Warrior VII I was determined to play the two that I had missed first, so I researched (probably from the Enix Forums) the idea that there were fan translations and got into roms and emulation sometime around 1999-2000, when I was a junior in college. I patched my first set of roms for English patches back then and played DQV, DQVI and the SFC remakes of the Roto trilogy. I actually spent a lot of time isolated from my college friends, playing all these old NES, SNES, and Genesis games on my PC in my single RA room, by myself. It was technically a lonely time that year, but I rekindled my love for Dragon Quest, which had waned over the years from loving DWIV to no new releases. With the impending release of DWVII on the rise, I bought up almost every other DW game including the remakes of DWI through III for GBC, which I didn't really like. Part of it was because I'd already emulated DQI & II and DQIII for SFC and both of those games were graphically superior to the stripped down GBC games despite the fact that they were released up to 4 years after the SFC versions.

College finished up and I found myself unemployed for VII months, a regular contributor to the Enix forums. I played Silk Wizard's Dragon Warrior Online and regularly chatted with Dragon Warrior friends through the forum and some (like The Unknown Gamer, aka ignasia7) through AIM. During my unemployment, I bought a Playstation, picked up the Torneko: The Last Hope, and 100%'d to stave off my Dragon Warrior hunger before the new release. The release of DWVII came and I was mostly disappointed with it because it didn't hold up graphically to modern PSX games at the time and it was really long and felt like it dragged. It was okay, though, because my favorite DW game, Dragon Warrior IV was releasing to PSX. The flyer that came with my DWVII said so! ...okay, so that didn't work out and I joined my fellow Enix Forumers in pointless protest over it until we all just got complacent and they eventually shut the forum down.

Enix and Square do the impossible and merge. Dragon Warrior is rebranded to the original Dragon Quest. The void left by the Enix Forums was not adequately replaced for me by Slime Knights, which also ends up being a temporary forum.

I had my first trip to Japan in the summer of 2005 with one of my college friends, and I got to see Dragon Quest VIII in Japanese gaming stores about 4 months before it would release to the US. Besides that I didn't see anything remotely Dragon Questy--not like today, where it's all over Tokyo and there are bars and cafes dedicated to it.

Once again I fell off DQ for awhile.

DQ begins to rerelease on DS. I picked up DQIV and DQV. I was half-way through DQV when DQIX came out. I start to hang out on video game forums such GameFAQs and here on Dragon's Den.

DQIX was released in 2010. I bought it, but didn't play it right away, because I was still slowly playing DQV. I missed the DQIX launch events, but I eventually started exploring the multiplayer by finding out that a group at Nintendo World had continued the weekly Tag Mode Tuesday that had started as a launch event. There was still a decent crowd including Destructor526, RPG Wizard, dekablue, DDDDrova (of GameFAQs forums), ShellsockPrime, and more. Occasionally we still get together, but it's been about a year now. It's gotten harder to meet up since the Nintendo NY rebrand/redesign. They removed all the seating and there's less areas to chill and play mobile games. Also several of us have kids or a long commute, so it makes it difficult when only local multiplayer is available.

DQX releases in Japan only and I drool about it from afar.

2016, It's my second time in Japan. The original intent was to go to the Dragon Quest museum, which I'd booked in May, but I met my future wife (who lived in Tokyo) in July, in New York! So after dating for a short time while she was on work assignment in NY she went home to Tokyo. 3 days after she left NY, I'm on a flight to my already scheduled vacation to Tokyo. So I'm courting my future wife in Japan and we go to Luida's Bar on a date. It's my first time there. I'm super excited and she's feeding off my excitement. She eagerly shouts "Yo katta ne!" several times which essentially means "I'm glad you like it." I have a sudden thought and admit to her that it's the best date I've ever been on. I go to the Dragon Quest museum a few days later while she's at work. I rearranged my trip to do DQ stuff while she was at work and then explore the rest of Tokyo while we were together. Things are going so well between us, I propose to her on a bridge in Chuo ku before I leave Japan.

My son is born on March 20th, 2017 in Tokyo. In anticipation of his birth I buy him his first Dragon Quest toy, a bubble slime plushy (kind of a cross between a rag and a stuffed animal) at Artnia in Shinjuku. I spent 6 months in Japan after his birth. My wife and I go to Universal Studios in Osaka and go to the Dragon Quest: The Real event. After my son's first birthday, my wife and son move to the US to stay with me.

DQXI comes out, Fall 2018. My wife and I now have a 1 year old. The two of them leave for Japan to visit family for 2 months (and help with the baby's Japanese language learning) giving me a brief window of loneliness that will coincidentally be filled with the Dragon Quest XI release.

Edited by Liamland

DW1 - Itch in my Daddy's pants

DW2 - Sucking my thumb and crapping my pants.

DW3 - Sucking my thumb less and only peeing my pants.

DW4 - Discovering DW1 & 3 and falling in love.

DQ5 - Crying that DW3 was no longer available for rent anywhere, RIP NES.

DQ6 - Learning that girls made me feel weird down there.

DW7 - Stealing any money I could from my parents and brother so I could buy DW7 from the store day of.

DQ8 - Sitting next to a urine puddle on a bus from my college campus to Syracuse to get DQ8.

DQ9 - Home waiting because Amazon pre-order is a thing now.

DQ10 - Sitting in a puddle of my own tears knowing we will never get this game.

DQ11 - Likely I'll be at work like a typical boring stiff, squirming all day like I have crotch rot in anticipation of getting home and being welcomed by a package from SquareEnix. Who am I kidding, it'll be late... Repeat first sentence 3-5 days in a row.

Edited by hawkeye77o4
  • Like 2

I wasn't really into Dragon Quest until about 2000.

I picked up Dragon Warrior 3 GBC with the money from my first paycheck of my first job when I was 15. It was $15 on clearance at Best Buy. I bought it because I was big into Dragon Ball at the time.

2001- I picked up Dragon Warrior 7 from Funcoland before it became a gamestop. Never finished it.

Over the next couple of years I played the Gameboy versions of 1 & 2. Just those 4 games so far.

2005. I had been reading about the new Dragon Quest game coming to the PS2 and I got excited. Pre-ordered it any everything, picked up every piece of media I could find on it.

2009: Friend worked at a failing Circuit City. He gifted me a copy of Dragon Quest IV for the DS. I later found out he stole a massive amount of video games when the store shut down. Unsure if my copy was one of them. I don't want to think about it.

2010: Dragon Quest 9 had been out for a year and I found several copies on clearance at the local target so I picked them all up.

2011: DQ5 had been out for a few years, I finally bought a copy off Amazon.

2012: Like DQ9, found several copies of DQ6 on clearance at Target. Purchased one for me and a friend.

2015: DQHeroes. Saved up for 11 months and purchased a PS4 and the CE of the game. Yes. I bought a PS4 to play a Dragon Quest spinoff game.

2016: Had originally pre-ordered DQ:Builders. Ended up having to go to the hospital due to severely bad strep throat a week before the game came out. Cost me $200 for that visit. Had to cancel buying it. Girlfriend got it for me for Christmas.

2017: Living in my first apartment for the second year, purchased it. Played 10 hours of it. I really need to go back and play it more.

2018: Dragon Quest XI. Sitting here at my desk at work waiting for it to ship out since we're two weeks out. I didn't take any time off, but I am so ready to play it.

Edited by Bururian
  • Like 1

Mentioned this story before, but I'll plop it down here.

VII for 3DS - I picked it up the morning of the release date, but never played it. That's because my friend was moving to the other end of the country and we set aside the evening to hang out. It was a wonderful night. After she left, I was working so much I never got to play it! So when I first visited her six months later, I brought it on the plane and fired it up for the first time. I've visited her three times and I've only played VII to and from seeing her. It's not that I don't like the game. I love it! For some strange reason VII is oddly associated with her. She was present when I was drawing my VII piece. And to top it all off, when I was visiting two weeks ago, I discovered that Fishbell/Pilchard's Bay is real and it's off the Oregon coast. I'll make a post about it soon.

Mainline

DQ1: Remember seeing the commercial on TV and begged my mom to renew my Nintendo Power early so I could get the game

DQ 2 & DQ 3:  School friend of mine had DW 2 and 3, borrowed from him

Thought it was cool there were episodes (very loosely) tied to Dragon Warrior in Captain N

DQ 4: Rented 4 from local rental place

DQ 5 and 6: Picked these up after staring the Den from Ebay, emulated the translated versions orignally

1997: Started Dragon's Den, started collecting all the games I was missing up to that point that were released

DQ 7: Picked up as soon as it came out, couldn't wait for IV to come out based on the packaging..which we all know never arrived

DQ 8: Got DQ 8 and a brand new PS2 from my wife for Christmas

DQ 9:  Preordered from our local gamestop, brought my DS with me to work and played during my lunch hour (ended up buying 4 total copies so my wife and kids could all play along as well)

DQ 10: Installed SoftEther and played thru the Level 20 beta cap (kids each created an accounts with me as well)

DQ 11: Have the Day One and Limited Edition on the way, bought the Japanese version and played 99.9% of the way thru it

Others:

DQ1, 2 and 3 for GBC: Already had the system, picked them up when they came out (actually got a copy of DW 3 from the PR company doing the promotions at the time)

Torneko: The Last Hope: Picked this up at launch

DWM 1 and DWM2: Had these from launch, but didn't finish them till a few years later

Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D: Picked this up last year

Dragon Quest Heroes: Had preordered from announcement

Dragon Quest Builders: Had preordered from announcement (bought the Japanese version first to play it early)

Dragon Quest Heroes II: Had preordered from announcement (bought the Japanese version first to play it early)

Joker 1 and Joker 2: Had preordered from announcement

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3: Picked up the Japanese version last year

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime:  Bought two copies so I could play thru the story and the kids could battle each other

DQ Swords: Got this as soon as it came out

Fortune Street: Preordered, we still play this as a family (just played a game last weekend), wish they would localize another one

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest: Picked up the Japanese version last year

1 hour ago, Dwaine said:

I discovered that Fishbell/Pilchard's Bay is real and it's off the Oregon coast. I'll make a post about it soon.

Wow, really? It's based on a real place?

Probably not, but I was in a place that had the exact same layout and it was uncanny.

49 minutes ago, Woodus said:

Thought it was cool there were episodes (very loosely) tied to Dragon Warrior in Captain N

I forgot about Dragon Warrior anime. Sometime around when Dragon Warrior II came out, I used to get up around 6am on Sundays to watch the 13 episodes of Dragon Warrior featuring the hero Abel. I thought it was cool that there was music and monsters in Dragon Warrior anime that hadn't yet been released in Dragon Warrior games in the US. For example the balloon theme from DWIV was in the Abel anime about 2 years before DWIV was released in the US. Najimi tower was featured in one of the final episodes in the US release, which was similar to the Tower of Najima at the beginning of DWIII, released about a year later. The catula monster from DWIII was also featured in that anime as well as slimes, treefaces, bunicorns, giant anteaters and much more.

3 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Probably not, but I was in a place that had the exact same layout and it was uncanny.

Cool. We'd all be interested in seeing photos if you have any.

A decent chunk of them I wasn't even born yet so I'll go with what I do recall.

DQV DS - Read about it in Nintendo Power, bought a copy at Wal-Mart on release date.

DQIX - Read about it in Nintendo Power, bought a copy at Wal-Mart on release date.

DQMJ2 - Saw a trailer for it in Japanese, ordered a copy. Then bought another copy when it was localized.

DQVIII - This is how I learned of the series but I didn't actually play this until later on. My brother got a copy of it at some point shortly after release.

All of the above I was living under essentially house arrest so I had a lot of time to play.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Warrior 1 I bought at Highland (long since defunct electronics store in the Chicago area) in the summer of 89.  Beat it in a couple weeks and haven't touched the series until DQ8 on PS2.  I rented it, liked it better than the FFXII demo that went with it so went and bought that one at Best Buy.  Most of my current collection are either on the DS, 3DS or on my SNES Classic (older NES & SNES releases...).

Of the games i got near launch.

Dragon Warrior VII:  Was a freshmen in highschool.  I wanted to buy it at launch but I didn't have a PS1.  Had to wait for Christmas.

Dragon Quest VIII:  I was in my freshmen year of college.   I walked to the nearby mall to pick up my preordered copy on release day.

Dragon Quest IX JPN version:  I went to a local import shop that is now closed.  

Dragon Quest IX US:  i won my copy (along with a DSi) as part of the grand prize from contest that Nintendo ran.  I view this as the crowning achievement in my life.

Dragon Quest XI 3DS: I just happened to be in Japan for m birthday when it came out.  I picked it up from Yodabashi Camera in Akihabara.

US PS4 Version:  I bought the Edition of Lost Time.  It's on it's way.

Edited by Megalosaro
  • 3 weeks later...

Dragon quest 1- only 4 years old, had to wait while till it came out. I remember getting it when I was around 9-10 I think

Dragon quest 2- I didn't know about this game till I went to a used video game store and got it.

Dragon quest 3- Saw it and bought it, played it a lot during middle school

Dragon quest 4-i didn't even get till I had a snes and gensis

Dragon quest 5 and 6- didn't get till the DS versions came out

Dragon quest 7-bought way later, I was busy playing, threads of fate, parasite eve, mega man x4, silent hill, and a lot of other games.

Dragon quest swords-I didn't get till later, I was busy playing new super Mario, and last story, when I picked up swords it was only 10 bucks

Dragon quest 8-bought day 1

Dragon quest 9-bought day 1

Dragon quest 10-never played it

Dragon quest 11, day 1 bought it. 

Edited by Hecatomb
  • 2 weeks later...

DW I - IV I either wasn't around or unaware of the series.

For DW VII, I was actually getting to know the series with the DW I&II remake on the GBC and shortly thereafter DW III on the same.  I didn't have access to a PSX until a few years later, so I couldn't have played VII anyway.  Finally got around to it when I did get a PS2.

DQVIII I got very closed to release, if not one release date.  Not sure.  I was very excited as I was a big fan of I-III, but had trouble getting into VII at the time.  It was a little surreal buying a Dragon Quest game instead of a Dragon Warrior game.

DQV, being released here for the first time, I was living in Tucson, AZ (same for IV, for what it is worth) with my girlfriend.  I got it and IV on or near release date.  I was very excited for IV since I felt that was really my "next" game after playing I-III on the GBC and was bitterly disappointed when the PSX version was cancelled here.  Of course, I was excited to move on to V as well.

I was back home and now married to my girlfriend when IX came out.  We got two copies so we could play together.  I was very anxious for the release of VI and relieved when it was finally released on the DS.

For X I was in the same position I currently am, really.  Bitterly disappointed I don't get to play it.

XI I now have two kids.  My daughter enjoys playing the first game on her iPad.  She's only five and can't quite read yet, but she likes exploring and fighting guys.  She used to call it the "bad guy game" (since you fight bad guys), but now she's more familiar with the name and likes seeing "season 11" on the TV,

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2018 at 4:12 PM, Ginkasa said:

XI I now have two kids.  My daughter enjoys playing the first game on her iPad.  She's only five and can't quite read yet, but she likes exploring and fighting guys.  She used to call it the "bad guy game" (since you fight bad guys), but now she's more familiar with the name and likes seeing "season 11" on the TV,

Haha, SAME!  My 5 year-old son enjoyed playing Heroes and Heroes 2 after I finished them (and the characters were high level).  He's probably put more time into the games than me at this point, and that's from age 3 & up.  At age 2 he would play the Dragon Quest Monsters Super Light game with me on my phone.  He and his younger brother still call the games "bad guys" and always want to see me play "bad guys".  With the release of XI, I've got the older one on the name which he finds funny to over-annunciate loudly as DRAGON QUEST E-LEV-EN!  Lately my 2 year old calls it the treasure chest game due to the large amount of treasure chests that fall from the sky after battles.