Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest Twitter holding a Dragon Quest VIII Contest

Why is it always VIII this, VIII that? Where's the DQVII love? Or if you're trying to catch nostalgia, Dragon Warrior? Just because you've re-branded the series doesn't erase it's past.

I’m actually really confused why it’s this game in particular. Is it because it’s the one most similar to XI? Do they know it’s the game most non-super fans are familiar with?

Because it was the one that came with the FFXII demo 😛

It’s easy for them to capitalize on the nostalgia people have with DQ8. It’s the one a good amount of people started the series with, whether because of the FFXII demo disc or not, so it’s easy to use that game for marketing. Why else would they be including a DQ8 hero costume off the bat in DQ11’s western release? They know if the right people see it being advertised, it will help sell some more copies.

I’m personally really tired of the Dragon Quest VIII pandering, and it’s starting to get to the point where I don’t care much for the game anymore. Just to bring up the Facebook group Platty and I run, whenever someone posts about Dragon Quest, a good chunk of the comments are how “DQ8 is the best RPG,” or how DQ8 is the only one they’ve played, and so forth.

• Like 1

DQVIII is the prettiest one and really the only one since the rebranding with recognizable high-rez, non-potable characters. Easily makes the most sense. No need to get DQ fan boy about this, it's the one outsiders know.

9 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m personally really tired of the Dragon Quest VIII pandering, and it’s starting to get to the point where I don’t care much for the game anymore. Just to bring up the Facebook group Platty and I run, whenever someone posts about Dragon Quest, a good chunk of the comments are how “DQ8 is the best RPG,” or how DQ8 is the only one they’ve played, and so forth.

Even if a person never played another Dragon Quest game, it’s cool that so many people loved VIII to either call it their favorite RPG or to say it’s the only one they’ve played. For the latter group, it shows they saw the merits in it to play it even if they don’t like or have no interest in the other games.

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

DQVIII is the prettiest one and really the only one since the rebranding with recognizable high-rez, non-potable characters. Easily makes the most sense. No need to get DQ fan boy about this, it's the one outsiders know.

I recently brought the PS2 over from my parent’s house and tried out a few games on it. I don’t have an extensive PS2 collection or anything, but some of the games I used to think looked great honestly look like ass now. When I played VIII a couple years ago, it still looked gorgeous. I think it’ll go down in history as one of the prettiest games on the console.

Edited by eal

5 minutes ago, eal said:

Even if a person never played another Dragon Quest game, it’s cool that so many people loved VIII to either call it their favorite RPG or to say it’s the only one they’ve played. For the latter group, it shows they saw the merits in it to play it even if they don’t like or have no interest in the other games.

And? I still get tired of hearing about the game all the time. Yeah it’s a good game and one of my favorite DQs, but go play another game in the series if you like it so much. Don’t just limit yourself to one entry and be done.

And? I still get tired of hearing about the game all the time. Yeah it’s a good game and one of my favorite DQs, but go play another game in the series if you like it so much. Don’t just limit yourself to one entry and be done.
It's FF7 syndrome. How many millions of people say it's their favorite, yet never played another FF.

Just now, Plattym3 said:
5 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It's FF7 syndrome. How many millions of people say it's their favorite, yet never played another FF.

Yeah, pretty much. There are other RPGs that fall into that syndrome as well. I don’t see much point limiting yourself to one entry and that being it. I mean, if you enjoy one entry, why not expand out and see what the others have to offer? You may find one that really clicks with you a lot more. If it’s financial reasons that prevents it, I can understand that.

I know a good chunk of people who joined our FB group put FF7 as their favorite.

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Which is funny because, aside from VIII, probably aged the worst out of any Final Fantasy game.

14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

lol I’ve been getting a lot of “and?” responses I’ve gotten lately.

This is why, when there was that topic about which games you’d recommend people start the series with, I didn’t recommend VIII and actively argued it’s not a good game to recommend as a first game because it gives an inaccurate impression of what to expect from a Dragon Quest game and starting with what is perceived as the best, is a bad idea. Then people don’t play any more. Still, it’s nice that people are at least playing something in the franchise.

Edited by eal

1 hour ago, eal said:

Still, it’s nice that people are at least playing something in the franchise.

Yup, whatever generates the hype for XI is A-Ok. Only a few weeks to go~

Also kinda wonder if they'll do a IX throwback since it sold comparatively well here

Edited by Fates

In case you guys want to see the prize.  I just received it recently.

• Like 2

Cool, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

• Like 1