Sign in to follow this  
DarkCecil

3DS Version has different battling for this reason

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm33554915

If you study this video, only the 3ds version seems to have traditional (DQ1 thru 9 style) ROUND BATTLES.  

PS4/PC/Switch version is just 1 person going at a time and you see his move execute (like persona) then another person goes; one at a time.  Not as DQ-like as 3ds version is.

If anyone knows more differences about 3ds, share it here!

I intend on streaming DQ11 at http://www.twitch.tv/borgsRPGQuest when it comes out, and doing handfuls of giveaways for copies of the game.  Check it out!  I'm on nightly on a hundred RPGs per year.

Well, in the PS4/PC and eventual Switch, rounds are still counted as a whole round before the next round starts, but each character takes their actions individually.

So let's say you have a character with 999 Agility, and everyone else has 50 Agility.  That character will likely go first every full round, but will have to wait for all enemies and all other characters to have their individual turns in the course of that round before popping up again.  Just that with that Agility, you can almost guarantee they'll be first up on the next sweep.

I'm kind of hoping DQ12 or 13 takes the PS4 style and makes the next leap and goes for the FFT/TO/VH/Suikoden/Grandia/FFX/Xenogears/Xenosaga/SoA/Nostalgia system and there is no "full" round to go through first.  However that would make things a bit different as you could easily cheat the system and bosses rendered cake walks, like in most FF games since 4 by abusing agility or quirks in the way the turn queue is ordered.  Especially like in Sands of Destruction (though it goes both ways), or use standard mechanics to break the turn-order like in FFT/FFX/Nostalgia.

Edited by ignasia

8 hours ago, ignasia said:

So let's say you have a character with 999 Agility, and everyone else has 50 Agility.  That character will likely go first every full round, but will have to wait for all enemies and all other characters to have their individual turns in the course of that round before popping up again.  Just that with that Agility, you can almost guarantee they'll be first up on the next sweep.

Oh this is great. No more trying to guess who gets to go first based on vague probability. I never liked that aspect to fully turn based systems. Meanwhile ATB-like systems has agility/speed almost breaking the game (the speed spell essentially makes any character twice as powerful in Chrono Trigger)

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Oh this is great. No more trying to guess who gets to go first based on vague probability. I never liked that aspect to fully turn based systems. Meanwhile ATB-like systems has agility/speed almost breaking the game (the speed spell essentially makes any character twice as powerful in Chrono Trigger)

Well, there is that classic DQ agility range modifier.  I'm not sure what the equation is for DQ11.

DQ's 3/4/5 is literally 0~255, so your agility can be brought down to 0 after the mod when turn-order is calculated, and you have 255, or vice versa, though usually your 255 guys go first, as the more common displacement is 0~50.

DQ's 6/7 are similar (made by the same team), and while I'm not 100% on DQ6, DQ7 PSX uses this:

Agility * rand[32,64]

However, DQ7 likes to stick in the middle, so your randomizer will usually just end up being agility.  So even though a difference of double the agility of another character or monster should assure 75% of the time you go first, it's closer to 95% of the time.  Being about 15% is a good way to assure consistently going first.

DQ8 is like 6 and 7 in that you'll generally go off Agility, as the randomizer has little impact overall due to the algorithm that defines the values, meaning you'll most likely get within a small range of your agility in difference, leading to Agility mostly choosing who goes first, and about 25~50% higher agility almost always equates to going first, but being within 10% difference is usually enough to assure consistently going first.

DQ9 is closer to 3 however, and while I'd have to look up yab's post or my repost of yab's data in my data dump thread in the main forum, the general swing is within 25%, with a maximum of 50% of your agility like with 6, 7, and 8, but with a higher likelihood of hitting within a 25% range than a near 0% range.  So being 25% higher in agility is a fair way to measure consistently when someone will go first.

No idea for DQ11, but watching let's plays seems to indicate a significant swing, probably closer to DQ9, so I'd wager a difference of 25% in agility is a safe bet requirement for consistent predictions of turn order in that round.

Edited by ignasia

Suikoden's battle system was excellent. It's fast and efficient and feels closer to a real fight than traditional turn-based/round battles. When the round starts it's rapid fire fighting. I even like how they handle situations where all of the monsters in the battle are killed, but it's before your applied heal spell or item was used, the character still uses it before the fight officially concludes.

• Like 2

Suikoden's battle system was excellent. It's fast and efficient and feels closer to a real fight than traditional turn-based/round battles. When the round starts it's rapid fire fighting. I even like how they handle situations where all of the monsters in the battle are killed, but it's before your applied heal spell or item was used, the character still uses it before the fight officially concludes.
That's my next game after DQXI. Yangus & I are going to give it a spin.

For the first two sequels you can transfer your data into the next game, similar to Arc the Lad Collection. I forget the actual advantage of it in the Suiko series, though, and they dropped that idea for Suikoden IV. However, it's cool that you could transfer save data cross-console-generation from Suikoden II (PSX) to Suikoden III (PS2).

• Like 1

For the first two sequels you can transfer your data into the next game, similar to Arc the Lad Collection. I forget the actual advantage of it in the Suiko series, though, and they dropped that idea for Suikoden IV. However, it's cool that you could transfer save data cross-console-generation from Suikoden II (PSX) to Suikoden III (PS2).
That surely won't be happening. I do have all 5, but will play 1 & 2 on Vita, the others will be PC emulation (if and when I get that far). So won't be able to go from 2 to 3. 1 to 2 should be able to if they enabled that for Vita.

I noticed something odd when I was fighting the first real dungeons boss, its a pair of enemies and there were a couple times when they seemed to get double turns and once or twice where the hero did. I havent noticed it happening as much as I did in the specific boss fight but it was kinda rough, I don't really know what that was about but it seems to have been an exception to the whole each combatant gets one turn in order of agility rinse/repeat.

17 hours ago, Don'tSellTheFlameSword said:

I noticed something odd when I was fighting the first real dungeons boss, its a pair of enemies and there were a couple times when they seemed to get double turns and once or twice where the hero did. I havent noticed it happening as much as I did in the specific boss fight but it was kinda rough, I don't really know what that was about but it seems to have been an exception to the whole each combatant gets one turn in order of agility rinse/repeat.

Decelerate debuffs your agility which affects turn order. 2 stacks and you're better off defending.

Edited by Shogil

On 8/1/2018 at 9:32 AM, Liamland said:

I forget the actual advantage of it in the Suiko series, though,

When you meet the main char of s1 in s2, it'll use (a buggy imported version of) the name you gave him in s1 instead of his generic name.

I think there were some characters that if you saved them in the previous version would be alive in at least the second game. I'm thinking of one specific character who you could choose to save or not in the first game.

Edited by Liamland

Now that I'm actually playing the game, this aspect does throw me off a bit. Usually with games that give characters individual turns you'd have some kind of indicator of whose turn is coming up. Either something approximate like an ATB bar, or a complete summary like the action timelines of Grandia, FFX, etc. In DQ11 it feels like it's completely up in the air, which makes it hard to strategize.

45 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Now that I'm actually playing the game, this aspect does throw me off a bit. Usually with games that give characters individual turns you'd have some kind of indicator of whose turn is coming up. Either something approximate like an ATB bar, or a complete summary like the action timelines of Grandia, FFX, etc. In DQ11 it feels like it's completely up in the air, which makes it hard to strategize.

Look at the character pictures next to the bars.  They have a halo around the next person to pop.  I forget if it's in black or white or what, but it's different from the Pep halo.

On 9/10/2018 at 11:12 AM, ignasia said:

Look at the character pictures next to the bars.  They have a halo around the next person to pop.  I forget if it's in black or white or what, but it's different from the Pep halo.

It's a very soft white but it's on all party members who haven't played this turn. 

1 minute ago, Shogil said:

It's a very soft white but it's on all party members who haven't played this turn. 

Well I haven't played yet, but someone mentioned this on GameFAQs that there's a subtle change to the halo that denotes next turn.  

I've looked out for it, and I haven't been able to spot said halo :S Can anyone point it out in a screenshot??

I do enjoy being able to act immediately, and thus able to react on the state as it is right now, but I don't enjoy having no idea if I'm still on one turn, or the next one has started. For example, is there a risk that the monsters will act twice after my current action.