Sign in to follow this  
DQ6Fan

DQVI SNES translation state

I'm surprised it never happened.  Game is so old by now.

It's probably a combination of difficulty and lack of interest.

I'd worked on some stuff in regards to VI. Not sure if it will ever be picked back up again, but it would be nice. I really enjoyed working on it and thought the work itself was good.

Wasn't it mostly playable? I remember somewhere in the middle one of the game one of the NPC characters stating that the translation was ending, but then there were only a few hiccups where the text wasn't translated after that.

1 hour ago, Liamland said:

Wasn't it mostly playable? I remember somewhere in the middle one of the game one of the NPC characters stating that the translation was ending, but then there were only a few hiccups where the text wasn't translated after that.

Not sure how you could play it, since it was never released, nor any website with it.

The only two releases I can find are the original two, Dejap and NoProgress

http://www.romhacking.net/games/294/

The one your thinking of is I believe the Dejap Translation A, which is the one Dejap themselves finished as far as they wanted before moving onto other projects, then dumping this one.  There was a minor update in 2017, but it's just a Romhacking.net update on the translation information page itself.

NoProgress is essentially finished, but 2/3rds of the final NPCs have no text (and 1/3rd of the early town by the halfway point are devoid of text, once they hit their final text), but all items, enemies, almost all descriptions, and skill/spells are done though.  It is a bit messy however, and unpolished, but definitely playable.

Hopefully one day there's a 100% complete and fully polished fan translation.  Though some of the attitude does annoy me as just because I happen to like the official translations, and do not find them kiddie, or trashy by any remote margin, doesn't mean I dislike fan translations.  One is localization, one is an attempt at a direct transliteration.  Different philosophies, both good.

13 hours ago, Liamland said:

WHen I played the NoPrgress one, I originally used an unfinished version that said the translation was ending. I renamed my save file to match the later version and was able to continue.

On 7/27/2018 at 12:10 PM, ignasia said:

Not sure how you could play it, since it was never released, nor any website with it.

NoProgress is essentially finished, but 2/3rds of the final NPCs have no text (and 1/3rd of the early town by the halfway point are devoid of text, once they hit their final text), but all items, enemies, almost all descriptions, and skill/spells are done though.  It is a bit messy however, and unpolished, but definitely playable.

I'd have to double-check my phone, but I think I played the NoProgress fan translation of DQVI. I remember it being mostly playable. It actually felt like more than 2/3 of the game was translated, though occasional NPCs have no text. It also felt like those parts didn't take away much from the actual gameplay. Even the majority of the mini-games were translated. And at the point in the game where they say the translation is ending, it still mostly continued.

I'd be interested in helping complete it too.  I honestly think it's one of the best SFC RPGs and it should really be done.  I'm guessing we can use parts of the DS script as a guideline as it's likely similar too.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 11:10 AM, ignasia said:

100% complete and fully polished fan translation

What would need to be done to get this game 100% complete and fully polished? Can we start with the translation available as a jumping off point (NoPrgress I believe)? Would we have to start over from scratch? Could we use the DS translation as a base and just boil off some of the puns (even though I like them, I might be in the minority)?

I think the bottle neck problems are translators and hackers, correct?

EDIT: Sorry for being out of the DQ loop for so long. I've been consumed with Zelda: BotW for 'bout a year 'n a half.

Found this link in damarsman's signature (Help us translate Dragon Quest games!! DQ WIKI), but it seems to be dead,  http://ww2.0wnag3.biz:82/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Edited by aerynb
didn't want to double post
  • Like 2

I'd like to ask on romhacking, but request are usually not welcome.

Edited by DQ6Fan
typo

The incompleteness of the patch is exaggerated. It's 100% playable. There may be some text that isn't translated - or isn't translated right - but I hardly remember that. I've re-played it several times and the game never felt "incomplete" to me. I've never seen/played the "The Translation is Ending" version.