Was there any mention or references of any of the first 3 DW games in Dragon Warrior IV?  I am speaking of the NES games and not the remakes.

No.  They're entirely unrelated trilogies.  Not even an easter egg.

I’m not even sure if they exist in the same universe. They’re so apart from each other.

Dragon Quest IV is part of the "Zenithian" Trilogy, second chronologically.

It is only related to DQ 1-3, the "Alefgard" trilogy, by bonus content added in remasters/rereleases of DQ3.

There's nothing in 4 that references Loto, barring shared equipment like the Fishnet Stockings, which Torneko will call you daft if you try to put them on.

2 hours ago, RyuKisargi said:

Dragon Quest IV is part of the "Zenithian" Trilogy, second chronologically.

It is only related to DQ 1-3, the "Alefgard" trilogy, by bonus content added in remasters/rereleases of DQ3.

There's nothing in 4 that references Loto, barring shared equipment like the Fishnet Stockings, which Torneko will call you daft if you try to put them on.

If Dragon Warrior IV is the 2nd game in the 'Zenithian' trilogy, what is the first one?

10 minutes ago, SonofErdrick said:

If Dragon Warrior IV is the 2nd game in the 'Zenithian' trilogy, what is the first one?

VI --> IV -- > V

On 7/22/2018 at 5:12 PM, Democrobot said:

VI --> IV -- > V

Where was that established? The Zenithian games don't share a world, just a prominent recurring element, I thought.

There's hints that some people have put together to kind of create the trilogy.  I think Horii said something like that the games are only connected if the players want them to be.  The way I see it is that the Zenithian equipment is kind of created in 6 (the legendary equipment either isn't called zenithian at all, or until the end of the game- but the equipment you do get looks like the zenithian equipment with a different color scheme).  In 4, you find and use the Zenithian equipment, and in remakes it is mentioned that there are humans who have come to Zenithia before you (possibly the cast of 6).  In 5, when you find the equipment it is regularly mentioned that a legendary hero once used it to save the world.  

So there's not really any definite connections, but there's enough to piece them into a trilogy if you really want to.

7 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Where was that established? The Zenithian games don't share a world, just a prominent recurring element, I thought.

Dragon Quest VI’s DS remake heavily implies they are a trilogy. In the post game at Reaper’s Peak, talking to an NPC there will transform the town into the near future or far-off future version of itself, the former having DQ4 characters and the latter having DQ5 characters. It basically is saying DQ6 is first in the trilogy, followed by 4, then 5 many generations later.

Honestly though, it’s hard to even say if they are a proper trilogy. Originally they only happened to share Zenithia and the special equipment, but somewhere along the way it’s like the thinking has changed on those 3 games and SE (or Yuji Horii) decided to make them all apart of the same world.

It’s kind of confusing, so in my opinion you can either look at them as being in the same world just many years apart, or they all are separate but just happen to share some similar traits.

3 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s kind of confusing, so in my opinion you can either look at them as being in the same world just many years apart, or they all are separate but just happen to share some similar traits.

Weird. Clearly I will have to revisit VI, as I don't recall Reaper's Peak at all. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Wait. Didn't VI also have a diary about Madason having to choose between brides lying around somewhere, too? Or was that in IX and I'm just misremembering?

Edited by JaybirdC
14 minutes ago, JaybirdC said:

Weird. Clearly I will have to revisit VI, as I don't recall Reaper's Peak at all. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Wait. Didn't VI also have a diary about Madason having to choose between brides lying around somewhere, too? Or was that in IX and I'm just misremembering?

No, those diaries are in VI. Which makes it all really confusing on the trilogy argument.

My guess is that those were stories from a man who had to go through the same thing Madason eventually did. Or it’s just a fun reference to DQ5, like a pair of twins in DQ7 are just fun references to Meena and Maya.

13 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

No, those diaries are in VI. Which makes it all really confusing on the trilogy argument.

Theory: The three games are set in different worlds, which occur in different cyclical phases of the same cosmos, transitioning from one to the next and back again, with old elements left behind to be discovered by the current living. V is therefore both predecessor and successor to VI.