Question regarding DQ 1-2 and 3 SNES Translation

I was wondering has anyone made a translation patch for the SNES version of Dragon Quest 1,2, and 3 for SNES that uses the translation from the Android\IOS port.I am asking mostly so that if that is the case I could use that has a backup option in case Square decides not to give us the PS4\3DS version of the mobile version they released in Japan to go along with XI.

I would love to play a graphically enhanced version of Dragon Quest 1,2, and 3 with a up to date and canonical translation after beating the GBC versions twice but I just can't enjoy the mobile version due to the forced portrait display mode and touch screen controllers.I prefer my controllers or buttons.

Edited by Maxrebo

From what I could tell someone actually did start a project for 1 and 2 it hasn't made progress in a little bit.

Here's a link sadly the download links are broken,I don't know if work will ever continue on that project but it would be awesome if it does especially the person planned on doing 3 after.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23443.0

Edited by Maxrebo
  • 1 year later...

The only translation for i and II I've seen is the old RPGone translation ( http://www.romhacking.net/translations/337/ ), which is alright-ish (certainly fully playable, and I don't think it's wildly inaccurate) but has a major bug in the (optional) Prince of Cannock/Sumaltria inn scene in the town of Beran where the text gets stuck in a loop, so you have to be careful never to sleep in that inn, or you'll have to reset/load a state to escape (or abandon the prince for the rest of the game). There's some other minor errors, but nothing else game-breaking that I know of.

For III, though, there's a really good solid patch by DQ Translations ( http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/ ). I'm not aware of any serious problems with this patch, although it's still not using the most recent official translation from the android versions. I had a great experience with that one, completed the postgame content and everything.

There's a guy (maybe a small group by this point?) doing this with the NES versions, look for project Re-Quest. DW1 is done. He says he plans to do the SNES versions eventually but they're relatively far down the list. Personally I'm looking forward to V PS2 getting the Re-Quest treatment but it's even further down the list. Also expected to be much more complicated which may prevent it from even happening.

1 minute ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

There's a guy (maybe a small group by this point?) doing this with the NES versions, look for project Re-Quest. DW1 is done. He says he plans to do the SNES versions eventually but they're relatively far down the list. Personally I'm looking forward to V PS2 getting the Re-Quest treatment but it's even further down the list. Also expected to be much more complicated which may prevent it from even happening.

@Choppasmith is the guy. Not sure if he's still working on it.