Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

The Dragon Quest XI Anticipation thread!

Ugh I hope DQXI doesn't have huge updates. I can't play FFXV because it gets so many MASSIVE updates and my wifi is trash (and a direct cable link is out of the question given the house layout)

37 minutes ago, Fates said:

Ugh I hope DQXI doesn't have huge updates. I can't play FFXV because it gets so many MASSIVE updates and my wifi is trash (and a direct cable link is out of the question given the house layout)

We already know it won't.

FF15's super sized updates that aren't adding new content, or adding only small bits, are likely drastic tweaks to the balance and elements of the battle system, maybe enemy stats, resistance info, weapon functionality, bug fixes, etc.  They're too large from everything I've heard, and given the lack of new content in most of the recent patches, could only be those things.

The difference is FF15 was an unfinished game when it was released, according to rumour from an inside programmer.  Given the nature of the game and how things have worked out, it makes sense that this is likely true, as it looks rushed.  The writing is rushed.  The nature of the threat makes no sense.  The sacrifice of the wife makes no sense.  The entire story is so obviously mishmashed together.  The amount of non-content in the world for a game with a 10 year development cycle makes more sense when we consider the inside rumour is that Tabata, when he took over, spent the first year figuring out the assets and direction and where he could take it.  Couldn't make heads or tails of Nomura's plans, and Nomura was overbooked, so scrapped the whole story, and rebuilt the game using the existing assets, including the world which had problems from the get-go (like the whole issue with the amount of content the PS4 could maintain if the entire world was loaded all at once, and whether they could even have an airship.  Meaning even elements of how the game was encoded were tweaked heavily in those 8 months of real work Tabata had to finish the game, and it falls in line with the release delay, while attempting to maintain it was just due to some extra work.

Extra work for a game that is LESS THAN AN ALPHA BUILD.  For that long a development time, and to use all the assets from Versus 13, and the original FF15, which was started as a parallel project, before they decided to mix the two given V13 was clearly too expensive and nowhere near done, and using its assets would have (should have) propelled FF15 WAY the #$*! forward in development.  Meaning the original release being so unfinished implies not only that the rumours were correct, but it indicates why all the supersized patches since original release, on top of extra content.

Most of the original patches were adding stuff into the main game.  They even altered the ending, changed quite a few story sequences since the original build, and fleshed out most of the towns, putting in way stations in between, more enemies (more enemies period as in type and not just number in the center of the world).  Then the patches came in with new content.  Now it's large patches with little to no content, but still large.  That's a rebalancing element.  Likely extra story changes, other small tweaks like better NPC interactions (new dialogue rather than constant repeats), maybe better town services like shops, or filling out bits and pieces they couldn't before due to time and the need to create things that people could actually experience first hand and was directly impactful...while small nuance bits like an extra sofa, or better texture modeling of a pillow would go unnoticed, though it does make for a better and more believable experience in the aggregate.

In anycase, DQ11 is a complete game, unlike FF15.  All the extra content already finished and added.  So any patches we get would be to fix bugs, and potentially streamline content if someone finds a glaring issue like slowdown at particular points (drastic frame drops), and it's likely due to encoding, and handling of draw distance, or the amount of pre-drawn content outside the bounds of the camera in areas where it's not necessary, and cutting that down in a particular spot wouldn't be noticed by the player in any negative way, but would fix the frame drop.  So the more likely those who have the Steam version will need the most patches, due to likely/possible compatibility issues with certain hardware drivers, hardware configurations, windows settings, etc.

On 8/16/2018 at 9:33 PM, Fates said:

maybe buy the physical for the most recent release for FFXV?

DQXI the only updates I could see would be bug fixes.....  Unless they add those special dungeons from the 3ds version, but I don't think they'd add those in unless they were planning on dropping it for its release internationally.   Either way that would be a lot of work, I mean, that's 10 dungeons with unique monsters.

In any case, only 17 days left before the adventure begins.

2 hours ago, Nuicki said:

maybe buy the physical for the most recent release for FFXV?

If you're referring to the Royal Edition, that only has a piece of the main game on the disc. Even though it "includes" all the DLC, it still has be downloaded and stored on the PS4.

doesn't it have more on the disc than the original disc?

As far as I know, no. The disc is exactly the same as the base FFXV disc, you're just given a key to get the DLC Episodes for free.

20 hours ago, Fates said:

As far as I know, no. The disc is exactly the same as the base FFXV disc, you're just given a key to get the DLC Episodes for free.

Besides, why spend more money on a game you already have just to get DLC for free? In the end, it would probably cost more to get the Royal Edition then to buy the DLC piecemeal.

Preordered the big LE set from the Squenix store and just counting down the days till it comes out... super hyped

I've been having to prime my hard drive for DQXI. I have the stock HDD in my PS4, and I've been having to delete stuff to make room for the game coming soon. The JP version is around 50gb, so the final ENG game will probably be a bit more than that since we'll have voice acting in our version.

My excitement hasn't started ramping up yet, but the weekend after next I'll be getting pretty excited. That's how it goes for me. I didn't take the day off to play it, but I'll have plenty of time the day it comes out. The SO is very understanding of my Dragon Quest obsession.

1 hour ago, cobolisdead said:

15 more days to go! Woot!

My favorite part about these posts is that they’re not just reminders of when the game will come out, but also a reminder to me how many days left until my vacation.

• Like 1

A service that I gladly provide!

Also, it is count down to my vacation too, so yay!

3 hours ago, eal said:

My favorite part about these posts is that they’re not just reminders of when the game will come out, but also a reminder to me how many days left until my vacation.

I'm really hoping with a holiday they ship a little early as I have a three-day weekend will be nice to have the time to tear into it right away LOL

My paternity leave will still be in full effect when the game releases. Pretty excited, tbh.

13 hours ago, cavoletoo said:

I HAVE A QUESTION: the hard mode is available from the start of the game?

Yes!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nectarsis said:

I'm really hoping with a holiday they ship a little early as I have a three-day weekend will be nice to have the time to tear into it right away LOL

I mean, I got lucky and got Persona 5 the day before it came out so I’m hoping I have that same luck twice. 

• Upvote 1

My trip to Sweden got moved.... to two days after the game's release. :(I think I'll have to block my access to this place for a while.

Welp, I got my E-mail stating they're gonna start shipping soon + an E-mail saying payment processing wasn't working properly...

...even though I updated my credit card info like a week ago, because I got a new credit card like two months ago... Updated it again.

I hope to God, I quickly get a confirmation mail saying everything is in order.

On 8/20/2018 at 3:52 AM, cavoletoo said:

I HAVE A QUESTION: the hard mode is available from the start of the game?

From my understanding the Draconian mode is available from the start, "For veteran players."  Which the masochism in me says I'll be starting on hard, and I am excited by having such an option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuicki said:

From my understanding the Draconian mode is available from the start, "For veteran players."  Which the masochism in me says I'll be starting on hard, and I am excited by having such an option.

I’m thinking of doing the same thing. Plus all those skill seeds from preorders should give a starting boost I would assume. I plan to thoroughly explore this game so hard mode seems suiting. 

Got a mail that my order is now completed, and they debited my card. I wonder if this means they shipped it already? Probably not, but one could hope.