The Dragon Quest XI Anticipation thread!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So we have just 67 more days until this game finally comes out in the West!   Who else just can't wait for this game to finally come out?

36 more days to go!   This Saturday was one year since they announced it was coming to the US.  I remember that day well as I was waiting to take my wife in for a C section for our second li

So I purchased the liquid metal slime 2ds LL.  I thought that was all I was getting from my purchase, but I got DQXI with it, and I wasn't aware it sold with the 2ds LL so this is great.  I AM WITH TH

Posted Images

Just 29 more days to go! Less than a month left before this awesome game finally comes out!

Any word on a demo so we can get a taste early?
None.

Which I find to be a horrendous mistake personally. With Octopath Traveler being a million copy game, you've got to start questioning the absolute Squeenix give its worldwide DQ fans.

Octopath Traveler gets not 1, but 2 demos, one half a year before release. It also gets a simultaneous worldwide release.

Dragon Quest? None of the above.

Argue localisation stuff all you want, but as a fan, screw you Squeenix, screw you hard because you made the very deliberate decision to screw me. I do believe in the Golden Rule in my personal life, but I also believe in the converse in terms of business. It's kind of the reason I decided on the absolute cheapest method of getting DQXI. They don't value me as much as an American customer, so I won't value their product by spending as much. It's also why I'll never spent a dime to import any of their games not released in the US. Don't want me as a customer? Fine, I'm not. As a fan I'll find other ways to play down the line that don't support the company in any way. Bitter? Kinda, but they make their decisions, I make mine.

Damn, didn't mean to go on that rant. Only my 2nd one about DQXI. Oh well.

Yay, 29 days left!

Yeah, in general I'm very pleased with all the PR they have been giving this game, but not releasing a demo for free to download is straight up the dumbest move ever. That's a huge waste of potential sales right there.

I'd guess it had to do with a playable demo having to come from the Japanese dev team, and a demo didn't make sense in that environment where the game was guaranteed to sell either way - but considering all the changes they are making for the localized releases anyway, creating a demo feels like it would just be a part of that whole process. Somebody somewhere done goofed up.

Edited by Sumez

There's a very big difference between a demo used to promote a game at a convention, and one to be played at home at your leisure. For all we know, what they were demoing off could have been the full game with some alterations to keep people from entering areas that weren't fully translated etc. A "demo at home" needs to be a much more polished product, and it's rare nowadays for a game like Octopath to have one ready so long before the release of a game.

Making a releasable demo does take some effort, but I think this is a case where the benefit would be obvious. We have a game where a lot of people who aren't die-hard fans are on the fence, yet a game that has pretty much been proven to be great through all the feedback that has come since its Japanese release.

• Like 2

Demos that anyone can download from home are generally the first 20 minutes worth of game, typically as far as the first boss. The demo for Dragon Quest VIII let me go at least as far as being able to fight the first boss (never beat him in the demo) and included a special section (I think the region before Alexandria) where you could battle monsters using the whole party.

He’s not wrong that a lot of show demos are curated chunks, and oftentimes you’re told to not go here or there because that area isn’t done yet, but surely it wouldn’t be much trouble just letting people download what amounts to the first 20-45 minutes of a game.

It takes work, but it's doable. What I was saying was simply that you can't just take the convention demo and repackage it. :)

Obviously I'm in favor of them doing a demo, and I honestly think it's way overdue.

• Like 1

i was notified of charge being applied on the SQEX Online store. The Game says It's shipping soon too. This can't be right. They screwed up my budgeting because now $160 is gone outta my account. I had been saving up the money in an envelope at home, and was going to deposit it in a few weeks. That's out the window now

• Like 1

I got the same notice, I think I got the same notice about a month before the actual shipping date last time as well.

Same notice and I of course didn't have the funds ready as I was planning on setting it aside out of my bonus tomorrow. The bank account it was set to charge doesnt actually have enough money in it at the moment so the payment was declined. I really hope I didnt lose my spot as thw email said that I need to correct the payment info before the 7th, which was yesterday...a full day before they attempted to charge me and a full day before the sent the email.

48 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Same notice and I of course didn't have the funds ready as I was planning on setting it aside out of my bonus tomorrow. The bank account it was set to charge doesnt actually have enough money in it at the moment so the payment was declined. I really hope I didnt lose my spot as thw email said that I need to correct the payment info before the 7th, which was yesterday...a full day before they attempted to charge me and a full day before the sent the email.

You know, I’m glad I saw this, because I checked my email and apparently they can’t process my payment method...and the deadline was the 7th of August...what the hell?!

The card I used has plenty of money on it, so I don’t know what this supposed payment error on my end is. I guess I’ll need to check the Square Enix store and see why it won’t accept my payment even though I put in all the right info back in June.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Edit: So apparently my pre-order is still up, and doing some looking on the store’s FAQs, those who use a debit card will be alerted a few days ahead of the product actually being shipped so the payment can go through. I sincerely doubt they’d ship out the Lost Time Edition this early, so I’m HOPING this is some sort of error, but I’ll be calling the support number tomorrow morning.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11913911-prime-dragon-quest-xi-ps4-for-46-77

The Pre-order for Dragon Quest XI is on sale today for $46! Only 26 more days until this gets released!  Woot!
If I'm not mistaken, that's the $1 off coupon and normal Amazon Prime preorder 20% off. I think that's what I paid a month ago.
13 hours ago, Bururian said:

i was notified of charge being applied on the SQEX Online store. The Game says It's shipping soon too. This can't be right. They screwed up my budgeting because now $160 is gone outta my account. I had been saving up the money in an envelope at home, and was going to deposit it in a few weeks. That's out the window now

I'm not sure how the US works, but where I live it's completely illegal for a webshop to charge any money before the product has actively been shipped.

The way most credit cards work is that you confirm that the card works and the money is available, and then the credit card supplier guarantees that money is available for an actual charge up to one week from that point, without additional actions from the buyer.
That's of course an issue for pre-orders where you input your card details long before the release, but there's nothing keeping them from making the check one week ahead of shipping, and then cancelling the order if it doesn't work anymore.

Edited by Sumez
1 minute ago, Sumez said:

I'm not sure how the US works, but where I live it's completely illegal for a webshop to charge any money before the product has actively been shipped.

In America, they can basically do what they want outside basic consumer protection rights, which are already shoddy enough.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Well, what I just mentioned is considered basic consumer protection rights. :)

Unfortunately in America, that doesn't seem to be the case. However, circumstances may arise in which a shoddy/fraudulent business practice can be taken to court over the matter of paying prior to shipping should the goods not be shipped or if the order is canceled.* I believe there are other instances but to avoid an Iggy sized post a long-winded post, I'll keep it brief.
*assuming they offer full refunds for canceled orders, but that is a whole other can of worms

Consumer rights? What are those?

By the way, this morning I was able to fix everything by going to SE's site and going to my account. There was an option to charge my debit and everything went smoothly...didn't lose my CE.

I still think it's weird that they're doing this a full month before release. I swear if they ship out the PS4 preorders before the Steam preorder is available to play I'll kill someone.

So after checking online and doing some changes, my pre-order is still good. I swapped to a credit card payment, which I have mixed feelings about, but at least my order is intact. I was really hoping to save the (physical) money I had stashed away for a Nintendo Switch and Smash Bros. Ultimate, but now it gets to go to the DQ11 credit card payment....😤

I swear, this game better be the best damn Dragon Quest game in the world. I hate having to deal with these kinds of problems when pre-ordering, especially after what happened with Best Buy. I’ve clearly been spoiled by how easy it is on Amazon.

That sucks, I double checked mine and found the email got junked, but recovered it and my order was intact. Strange yours bombed.