Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

The Dragon Quest XI Anticipation thread!

15 minutes ago, eal said:

Should probably pre-order this soon.

Aren’t you against pre-order culture?

He's part of the Den badge culture.

47 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
52 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

He's part of the Den badge culture.

Both. And I am a against pre-order culture only when it serves no purpose to pre-order. You get nothing but skins, maps, and guns so why would you ever pre-order Call of Duty? #$*!, I still see Ghosts in some stores. And I think it’s exceptionally dumb that they gate off content exclusively for pre-orders. It was made before launch, it should be in the game. You’ll notice that the stuff being offered in DQXI are all I think all items you can get in-game. They’re just giving you some extras off it to give you a boost.

I’m not against pre-ordering obscure, hard to find games like Aksys or NIS America games. Although now I’m starting to find problems with this viewpoint now too since a lot of publishers are making their games exclusive to online storefronts and they never see a re-release.

Also, with Amazon Prime, I save $16 for a $60 game so I get monetary value in pre-ordering from them, and you can mostly only ever find collector’s editions by pre-ordering them. But just like the point mentioned above, I’m also starting to have issues with this. If Ubisoft wants to throw up a premium edition for Watch Dogs, fine, but lots of major publishers are requiring you to make a spreadsheet to figure out what you’ll get in each of the 12 collector’s editions they produce, and you won’t even get everything in the most expensive version sometimes.

I lean farther against pre-ordering but I see a value in it. If you’re gonna walk into Best Buy and pre-order Halo, I find that silly. Sorry.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, eal said:

Both. And I am a against pre-order culture only when it serves no purpose to pre-order. You get nothing but skins, maps, and guns so why would you ever pre-order Call of Duty? #$*!, I still see Ghosts in some stores. And I think it’s exceptionally dumb that they gate off content exclusively for pre-orders. It was made before launch, it should be in the game. You’ll notice that the stuff being offered in DQXI are all I think all items you can get in-game. They’re just giving you some extras off it to give you a boost.

I’m not against pre-ordering obscure, hard to find games like Aksys or NIS America games. Although now I’m starting to find problems with this viewpoint now too since a lot of publishers are making their games exclusive to online storefronts and they never see a re-release.

Also, with Amazon Prime, I save $16 for a $60 game so I get monetary value in pre-ordering from them, and you can mostly only ever find collector’s editions by pre-ordering them. But just like the point mentioned above, I’m also starting to have issues with this. If Ubisoft wants to throw up a premium edition for Watch Dogs, fine, but lots of major publishers are requiring you to make a spreadsheet to figure out what you’ll get in each of the 12 collector’s editions they produce, and you won’t even get everything in the most expensive version sometimes.

I lean farther against pre-ordering but I see a value in it. If you’re gonna walk into Best Buy and pre-order Halo, I find that silly. Sorry.

Tell us what you really think about pre-ordering, eal. I feel like you’re holding back.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

11 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Tell us what you really think about pre-ordering, eal. I feel like you’re holding back.

I’m letting my inner Iggy out.

Honestly, as I’ve learned more and more about obscure Vita games, I’ve actually started to lean more towards hating collector’s editions. For real, NIS America cranks those things out like they’re going out of fashion. Go on their online store and almost every game as a collector’s edition paired with it. Get this, there is a Vita game called At Nosurge that was exclusive to their online store and only as a limited edition. You cannot find it anywhere except on eBay for $150-250.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m letting my inner Iggy out.

You’d need a few more paragraphs for that. 😛

• Like 1

So I finally went ahead and pre-ordered this game off of Amazon!  Today I saw that it had a $1.22 coupon for it. So with the prime discount, with taxes and free release date shipping, I bought it for $50.51!  Just 54 more days to go!

• Like 1

So I finally went ahead and pre-ordered this game off of Amazon!  Today I saw that it had a $1.22 coupon for it. So with the prime discount, with taxes and free release date shipping, I bought it for $50.51!  Just 54 more days to go!
Oooooo... I see that. I need to get my new Prime account set up ASAP!

Totally excited.

In fact, I don't even remember the last time I pre-ordered a game and got it upon release. I am with you guys on not doing research, but that is more because I don't have the time than anything. Any free game-related time will go to ensuring I complete at least one of my current games before the release comes around.

I'm still planning on taking at least a full day off from work when the game comes out, so I don't have any excuses when it comes to putting  a decent amount of time into the game from the get-go.

22 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Totally excited.

In fact, I don't even remember the last time I pre-ordered a game and got it upon release. I am with you guys on not doing research, but that is more because I don't have the time than anything. Any free game-related time will go to ensuring I complete at least one of my current games before the release comes around.

I'm still planning on taking at least a full day off from work when the game comes out, so I don't have any excuses when it comes to putting  a decent amount of time into the game from the get-go.

I wasn't going to do research, then KuzokuOiGilder popped up after a long hiatus from GameFAQs and dished out some game knowledge, and I had to look things up.  Now I'm writing two new FAQs!  So that was bust.  No story though.  Just gameplay oriented and equipment.

I'm also unsure if if there will be an official guide, though we have until two weeks prior to release to be absolutely positive.  Most guide releases are within a month of the game, especially for RPG's, and given how much work they did to tweak the game, it's possible they haven't had a fully working copy to dish out for guide writing purposes until more recently.  Plus...Builders has a guide so 11 likely will.

Dragon Quest XI commercials have begun.  Just saw a brand new commercial on Youtube for the first time.  No longer seeing banners though, but it's short, about 34 seconds, and here's the funny bit, it's sponsored by Amazon.com, but the actual versions listed are the ones available only on the Square-Enix store (hell the actual "title" for the commercial is "amazon.com").

So it begins. It's actually really good though.  It's not even a ripped portion of the e3 spot.  It's brand new with a similar direction of more adult/westernized approach.  I'm pretty damn impressed so far if this keeps going and we see some expansion.  So far no commercials on TV, but then I rarely watch these days.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.  There is a banner ad for the same video, and it's a brand new one, showcasing the dark and light tree versions, with Sylvando, Erik, Eleven, Jade, and Serena.

Edited by ignasia

It’s only a matter of time before muddy comes back to talk about the commercial and advertising... 😜

• Like 1

Tried getting the week off, not just for Dragon Quest but for Spider-Man PS4 as well. Fingers crossed, but outlook appears negative.

Edited by eal

1 hour ago, eal said:

Tried getting the week off, not just for Dragon Quest but for Spider-Man PS4 as well. Fingers crossed, but outlook appears negative.

I don't get days off specifically.  My scheduling is extremely wonky.  I hope you get at least a few extra days off, or an early weekend.

--==--

Second Dragon Quest XI commercial spotted in another video.  This one is different from the Amazon video, though very similar, and is sponsored by Gamestop.  It's 30 seconds instead of 34, and like the Amazon sponsored video, it showcases the SE store items at the end.

Very cool!  I like this one a little more.  It gets more to the point, but a solid 30s ad.  Very solid.  This would make a great normal TV spot if they decide to go that route, or if it's showcasing on TV streaming (Xfinity / Hulu / Amazon / Netflix / Crunchyroll / etc.).

21 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s only a matter of time before muddy comes back to talk about the commercial and advertising... 😜

Your calling me out and I haven't even posted anything yet! Haha.

Your calling me out and I haven't even posted anything yet! Haha.
We all have our stereotypes.

Welcome to the Den, our own little slice of the Internet!

f919c0a6401b686cc87f2c2cc0474c0a.jpg

21 hours ago, ignasia said:

Dragon Quest XI commercials have begun.  Just saw a brand new commercial on Youtube for the first time.  No longer seeing banners though, but it's short, about 34 seconds, and here's the funny bit, it's sponsored by Amazon.com, but the actual versions listed are the ones available only on the Square-Enix store (hell the actual "title" for the commercial is "amazon.com").

So it begins. It's actually really good though.  It's not even a ripped portion of the e3 spot.  It's brand new with a similar direction of more adult/westernized approach.  I'm pretty damn impressed so far if this keeps going and we see some expansion.  So far no commercials on TV, but then I rarely watch these days.

EDIT: Spoke too soon.  There is a banner ad for the same video, and it's a brand new one, showcasing the dark and light tree versions, with Sylvando, Erik, Eleven, Jade, and Serena.

The one I saw was just the later half of the E3 trailer when they show the characters and their voices, was the one you saw the same as that?

35 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

The one I saw was just the later half of the E3 trailer when they show the characters and their voices, was the one you saw the same as that?

I think the Gamestop one was, but it was cut differently.  Different music as well.

Edited by ignasia

46 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

We all have our stereotypes.

Welcome to the Den, our own little slice of the Internet!

f919c0a6401b686cc87f2c2cc0474c0a.jpg

Did you know that they passed law in Japan requiring Dragon Quest games come out on weekends?

47 days to go!

Next Saturday will be a year since it came out in Japan as well as its announcement of it coming to the west. I remember that day well because I it was announced about 20 minutes or so before my second daughter was born. I wonder as the years fly by, if I will still think about that long after the game comes out and I have played it to death.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2018 at 4:21 PM, ignasia said:

I wasn't going to do research, then KuzokuOiGilder popped up after a long hiatus from GameFAQs and dished out some game knowledge, and I had to look things up.  Now I'm writing two new FAQs!  So that was bust.  No story though.  Just gameplay oriented and equipment.

I'm also unsure if if there will be an official guide, though we have until two weeks prior to release to be absolutely positive.  Most guide releases are within a month of the game, especially for RPG's, and given how much work they did to tweak the game, it's possible they haven't had a fully working copy to dish out for guide writing purposes until more recently.  Plus...Builders has a guide so 11 likely will.

Good. I'll probably end up looking at them once I am into the game 😂

5 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Good. I'll probably end up looking at them once I am into the game 😂

Don't expect them by game release.  Seriously, the number of new names due to completely new equipment is just...wow.  Plus they use a lot of derivative name groups, many of which are similar to other games, but wholly unique, and even the base model doesn't quite match the name of the version it's clearly based on in other games.

Spoiler

Erdrick's Sword is one, where there are I think 4 different versions, or I guess you can say "upgrades," beyond the standard upgrade system of +0/1/2/3 the game uses (+3 is often a massive bonus for any piece of equipment and apparently hard to get, plus farming the mats for it).

They're an equipment and a skill FAQ.  Though I've also been busy with other things.  I will definitely try to get them out in a timely manner.  No walkthrough though.  I'm just going to avoid that this time.  Not like there's a Super Kiefer to make in this game, but I do tend to get sidetracked easily and while everyone else is plowing through the main game demanding I finish things up, I'm dinking around with whatever floats my boat.

Plus, there are a lot of skills, and even some new spells.  So hopefully things aren't too blank, but at least for the skills and equipment I can get out the basic data.  Another aspect of that...I need to spend less time here.

Edited by ignasia

Interesting to know on the names, on my Japanese playthru I didn't realize the names were different as I couldn't read the Japanese.