Sign in to follow this  
cobolisdead

The Dragon Quest XI Anticipation thread!

4 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

Humble Bundle sells "bundles" of Steam game keys, software, and ebooks of varying subjects that they rotate through every one or two weeks.

Which sucks. They broke through by offering bundles of DRM free games, paying whatever you felt like you want. But now all they offer is Steam keys, and usually with a set minimal price. So it's gone from admirable charity to purely commercial special offers.

Edited by Sumez

11 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Which sucks. They broke through by offering bundles of DRM free games, paying whatever you felt like you want. But now all they offer is Steam keys, and usually with a set minimal price. So it's gone from admirable charity to purely commercial special offers.

You can still determine what charity you sponsor and how much they get of your payment, though.

Got shipping confirmation at 11pm last night with 2 tracking numbers, woke up and the tracking still doesn't work for either one. 😢

Edit: One of the codes works now, it's due for delivery after the Steam version unlocks which is good so I won't be tempted to start the PS4 version. 😄

Edited by Chris

Game is on the home screen of my PS4...but I won't be able to play it until I get back from class in 7-8 hours... :(

• Like 1

If DQXI is good.....

Do I break down and cave in on a PS4 or do I really bite the bullet and get a new computer?

Or do I wait......

Decisions, decisions.

How much do games typically sell on Steam
Usually full physical retail price. They have big summer and winter sales. And smaller ones all the time.

21 minutes ago, sounderfan84 said:

Price or numbers?

numbers

16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
25 minutes ago, muddy120 said:
How much do games typically sell on Steam

Usually full physical retail price. They have big summer and winter sales. And smaller ones all the time.

sales figures

Steam is the single largest digital distributer of games on PC. If you're a game publisher and your game isn't on Steam then you're missing out on a HUGE number of sales. To give you an idea of how important it is to have your PC game on Steam, Valve (the owners of Steam) take a 30% cut of every sale on Steam and publishers still jump at the chancw to get their game on Steam because that's where the PC market is at.

To be number 1 on Steam even if its just for launch day is "Big F******g Deal".

42 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Steam is the single largest digital distributer of games on PC. If you're a game publisher and your game isn't on Steam then you're missing out on a HUGE number of sales. To give you an idea of how important it is to have your PC game on Steam, Valve (the owners of Steam) take a 30% cut of every sale on Steam and publishers still jump at the chancw to get their game on Steam because that's where the PC market is at.

Hmmmm. This isn’t what I’m hearing. Yes, it’s important to get your game somewhere that’ll give your game exposure, but that’s Steam’s problem: there’s such a flood of shovelware, assetflips, and just garbage in general that the good games get buried. Switch is becoming the new hotness for indie devs right now. Games have been and will continue to be put on Steam, but it’s not doing much to help the good games get recognized.

Hmmmm. This isn’t what I’m hearing. Yes, it’s important to get your game somewhere that’ll give your game exposure, but that’s Steam’s problem: there’s such a flood of shovelware, assetflips, and just garbage in general that the good games get buried. Switch is becoming the new hotness for indie devs right now. Games have been and will continue to be put on Steam, but it’s not doing much to help the good games get recognized.
Yeah it has a ton of shovelware but that still doesn't change much. It is hard to get a game to stand out on Steam. Its barely possible to get a game to stand out if it isn't on Steam. The benefits of being on Steam are many. As said before, they are thw single largest digital distribution platform on PC.

Switch is of course a more curated shop. I was talking about PC platforms for selling games, so that doesn't include consoles. Windows Store, Origin, Uplay, GoG...none of them come close to touching Steam.

Just now, AustNerevar said:

Yeah it has a ton of shovelware but that still doesn't change much. It is hard to get a game to stand out on Steam. Its barely possible to get a game to stand out if it isn't on Steam. The benefits of being on Steam are many. As said before, they are thw single largest digital distribution platform on PC.

Switch is of course a more curated shop. I was talking about PC platforms for selling games, so that doesn't include consoles. Windows Store, Origin, Uplay, GoG...none of them come close to touching Steam.

I mean, if we’re exclusively talking PC platforms, then yeah, if you’re gonna put  out a game, you might as well release it on Steam. But in general, it is not indie developer friendly. But of the other options you mentioned, Origin is for EA games, no random developer is gonna throw up their game on Origin, same with Uplay, which isn’t even PC exclusive.

A game can absolutely stand out if it’s just released on console, but I guess if it’s PC exclusive, then yes, Steam is probably a good idea, but I’m talking availability on other platforms.

I mean, if we’re exclusively talking PC platforms, then yeah, if you’re gonna put  out a game, you might as well release it on Steam. But in general, it is not indie developer friendly. But of the other options you mentioned, Origin is for EA games, no random developer is gonna throw up their game on Origin, same with Uplay, which isn’t even PC exclusive.

A game can absolutely stand out if it’s just released on console, but I guess if it’s PC exclusive, then yes, Steam is probably a good idea, but I’m talking availability on other platforms.

Dragon Quest isn't an indie game.

Somebody asked a question about what kind of numbers Steam has in terms of sales, so I answered explaining Steam's position in the PC gaming market...not sure why you would think I was including consoles in that discussion.

I think it's going to sell well on PC because it's digital, it has more reach worldwide than physical releases do.

5 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Dragon Quest isn't an indie game.

Somebody asked a question about what kind of numbers Steam has in terms of sales, so I answered explaining Steam's position in the PC gaming market...not sure why you would think I was including consoles in that discussion.

Because I was responding to a specific thing you said, not the overall discussion, which was:

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Yes, you’re saying “PC game,” but the point I’m trying to get across is that it’s important to branch out beyond Steam and PC in general, depending on what kind of game it is, of course. Naturally there are games that would be far, far less successful on other platforms.

(Sees the Steam discussion going on)

giphy.gif

So the PC port is pretty good. If you have a Nivida account, you can most likely use Ansel. Ansel is a neat free camera mode.

I was hoping for ultrawide monitor support but I'm not surprised we didn't get it. Also, being oackaged with Denuvo sucks but I haven't had any issues so far. Everything runs smoothly even streaming to my Steam Link.

I actually got distracted from what I originally came in this topic to say.

Which is that my order is in my state as of a couple hours ago so nothing is stopping it from getting here tomorrow. The only possible thing is that it might end up landing in my town tomorrow and sitting there for delivery the next day.

Tomorrow is absolutely preferable. Got a movie in a whole ‘nother state Thursday night and if it arrives late enough on Thursday it will be impossible for me to get it all downloaded before the movie. Add in the length of the movie, getting home, etc. and I won’t be playing until Friday morning or late, late Thursday. Wednesday, I have other reasons to go out aside from just picking it up.

1 hour ago, wiregu said:

I think it's going to sell well on PC because it's digital, it has more reach worldwide than physical releases do.

My question really is this like lets say DQ XI sold an imaginary 2 million units total in NA and EU = 4 million,(I'm not saying this will happen or it won't I'm just saying imagine.) So great DQ XI managed to magically sell 4 million outside of japan for PS4 and Steam, how many of those sales figures will be on steam worldwide is more what I'm asking here. How are they split apart because it feels like games and JRPGs sell more on Playstation over steam. So how is it split up, and what is considered "good" steam sales numbers as well relative to the game for the split up sales between console and steam?

Edited by muddy120

My question really is this like lets say DQ XI sold an imaginary 2 million units total in NA and EU = 4 million,(I'm not saying this will happen or it won't I'm just saying imagine.) So great DQ XI managed to magically sell 4 million outside of japan for PS4 and Steam, how many of those sales figures will be on steam worldwide is more what I'm asking here. How are they split apart because it feels like games and JRPGs sell more on Playstation over steam. So how is it split up, and what is considered "good" steam sales numbers as well relative to the game for the split up sales between console and steam?
We won't know the exact amount Steam sells since they never release those numbers. And you are right, the game will undoubtedly sell better on PS4 than on Steam. But the simple fact that a JRPG, much less a Dragon Quest game, is number 1 on Steam right now is a big deal because of that fact.