My small Dragon Quest Builders (PS3) review after playing thru!

Thanx to a full English translation patch, I could play thru Dragon Quest Builders on PS3 (as you know the PS3 version was only released for Japan). I finished all main quests and chapters, maxed out the town levels, but didn't complete all side-quests. Also I did not touch the Terra Incognita mode yet. I'm not sure but I think it took me around 30 hours to complete it. So here are my thoughts:

GOOD
+Building a city from the stratch is really fun.
+Even though it's a spin-off from the main series, it has the same DQ spirit.
+The classic musics taken from the first 4 games are awesome.
+Searching the maps for hidden chests, side-quests and mining materials got a great adventuring feel.
+Returning to the very first DQ world was great. I loved the story.
+Bullying the monsters with 3 townspeople alongside me in Chapter 3 was very funny :)
+Very addictive gameplay. My wife pick up the controller for mining whenever I put it down

BAD
-Max town levels are very limited (5 levels). You can reach out for it very soon and lose motivation to expand city because of it.
-Ghosts at the nights are very annoying. They spam you way too much.
-You can not determine the number of your creations. For example, if I want to make 3 chairs, I have to make them one by one, or create max number of chairs that I can with my resources at once.
-I don't if it's only me but Great Condor fight in Chapter 2 was extremely frustrating :)

VERDICT:
Even though it's a spin-off game, Dragon Quest Builders has a complete DQ spirit. It has some small flaws, but very fun game to play overall: 7,5/10

• Like 1

Nice review! To my non-eternal (because it will happen one day) shame, I've not completed this. I blame my schooling which shall end soon.

Wow, someone patched the PS3 version? How'd you come across that? How'd you apply the patch and get it running? Did you have a digital or physical copy of the game?

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

PS1

PS4 - PS3 = PS1?

45 minutes ago, Woodus said:

PS4 - PS3 = PS1?

Don’t be silly. It’s PS4 - PS3 = Fish.

41 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Don’t be silly. It’s PS4 - PS3 = Fish.

Doh, thought I would get that wrong >.<

1 hour ago, Woodus said:

Doh, thought I would get that wrong >.<

It’s okay, we all have our off days.

Anyway, good little review of the game. I really need to get back and finish Builders. I was thinking about it this afternoon, and I did have fun with the game. I think I just get a little overwhelmed by the huge amount of materials and goods.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, Woodus said:
PS4 - PS3 = PS1?

Yes, because "difference" means subtract.

Sassy Platty strikes again!

My guess is the PS3 version might not run as smooth or be as crisp as the PS4 version. It’d probably be better than the Vita version or about the same.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
On 6/19/2018 at 11:55 AM, Plattym3 said:

Nice review! To my non-eternal (because it will happen one day) shame, I've not completed this. I blame my schooling which shall end soon.

Wow, someone patched the PS3 version? How'd you come across that? How'd you apply the patch and get it running? Did you have a digital or physical copy of the game?

I came across with it on the net by luck. I played it on CFW PS3. It's %100 translation. They did it by using the Vita version's language files: https://froidromhacks.wordpress.com/2018/02/15/dragon-quest-builders-bljm61311-v0-9-english-patch-ps3/