Stumbled across a lady in the Laissez Fayre bar...

I was just exploring the towns in the DS remake of DQ IV and l found a.. "fortune teller" lady?.. in the upstairs of the bar in Laissez Fayre. I guess this is DQ IV's version of the puff-puff - cute!

She wouldn't do the thing with Meena, though.

A "fortune teller" who wouldn't "fortune tell" for a fortune teller. Hmm...

Puff puff in the NES version. No idea why the change, since it was presented as goofy and non-sexual in the original translation.

12 hours ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Puff puff in the NES version

Or poofpoof as the annoying british youtuber I was unfortunately watching the other day kept saying it. Couldn't even finish the video, he got so annoying.O_o

• Upvote 1

Let record show that "puff puff" and "poof poof" are both correct ways to say it for those wondering.

Poof poof (DQVIII)

Puff puff (DQH1)

It’s one of those “tomato, tomahto,” things.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s one of those “tomato, tomahto,” things.

I always pictured it as like a regional dialect type of thing. Tomato, tomahto. Potato, potahto. Hamburgers, steamed hams. All depends on where the speaker is from. DQVIII has a French girl doing poof whereas Bianca is more Cornish and says puff. It's actually a neat nod to how the same word can sound different despite meaning the same thing.

I'm curious if the party members have anything to say about this character in the mobile versions? (My iPad with DQ4 died ages ago..)

26 minutes ago, Democrobot said:

DQVIII has a French girl doing poof whereas Bianca is more Cornish and says puff. It's actually a neat nod to how the same word can sound different despite meaning the same thing. 

DQ localization is always great for this sort of attention to detail!

“regional dialect” “steamed hams”

You did that on purpose.

And yeah, that’s what I meant by the “tomato, tomahto,” example. I had an entire class over accents, slang, and such all over the world/throughout history. It was interesting stuff, particularly how varied an accent can be even in the same state (in the U.S.).

3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

“regional dialect” “steamed hams”

You did that on purpose.

I saw the opportunity and ran with it.

• 1 month later...

"Poof Poof" is incorrect, in my eyes (ears?). In Japanese, it's ぱふぱふ, literally "Pafu Pafu", and with the way it's pronounced it can be written as Puff Puff in English... but Poof Poof does not at all describe the way it is pronounced.

It makes sense for it to be pronounced that way in the context of DQ8 (due to the accent), but it should never be written as such.