Sign in to follow this  
Sword_of_Dusk

Dragon Quest XI Interview

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

You seem very bothered by this.

Edited by eal

This was dispelled easily a decade ago at least. Seeing it brought up saddens me.

8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
9 minutes ago, eal said:

This was dispelled easily a decade ago at least. Seeing it brought up saddens me.

Whenever a new member joins, I’ll make sure they know all about that law in Japan that bans Dragon Quest from releasing on school days.

Whenever a new member joins, I’ll make sure they know all about that law in Japan that bans Dragon Quest from releasing on school days.
Thats probably the truest thing posted in this thread.

10 minutes ago, eal said:

Thats probably the truest thing posted in this thread.

Just you wait:

”we bite”

”welcome to our own little slice of the Internet!”

”Since you’re new, I was wondering if you heard that there’s actually a law in Japan that bans Dragon Quest from coming out on school days?”

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, eal said:

Just you wait:

”we bite”

”welcome to our own little slice of the Internet!”

”Since you’re new, I was wondering if you heard that there’s actually a law in Japan that bans Dragon Quest from coming out on school days?”

I can make that a question you have to say yes you understand when you sign up as a new member ;)

10 minutes ago, Woodus said:

I can make that a question you have to say yes you understand when you sign up as a new member ;)

Make it the question you have to respond to to prove you’re not a robot.

1 hour ago, eal said:

We all have our ticks. Mine was the DW IV PS cancellation. There. Are. Multiple. Interviews!!!

(Though now they're not as easily accessible...)

It's a shame it never came out here, even after they advertised it.

Omega Labyrinth Z you could actively pre-order and there was box art for it and it was rated by the ESRB.

We all have our crosses to bear when it comes to games that never were.

Omega Labyrinth Z you could actively pre-order and there was box art for it and it was rated by the ESRB.
#$*!, is it really dead?

11 minutes ago, eal said:

#$*!, is it really dead?

PQube said, “literally can’t say anything until we can say something so our hands are tied here.” on Twitter.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

It's a shame it never came out here, even after they advertised it.

I wish we had gotten that version. Same with the PS2 version of DQ5.

I can agree that that I'd of liked the PS1 DQ4 and PS2 DQ5, but again, I was grateful to get the DS ones (even though the party chat was not in 4). Interestingly, after the launch of Op. Hero, the mobile port of 4 was given freshly translated party chat. 

The night I got home from work and learned DQ7 3DS was on its way, I became so excited that my son asked me why I was going ecstatic over a video game. Kinda weird when an 11 year old kid is asking that of a 36 year old man. I briefly explained Op. Hero and the long drawn fight we all had. I told him you won't always get the things you want in life, but if you don't try then its guaranteed you won't.

Fortunately we have the fan translation of 5 PS2. That was undoubtedly THE version. Unless you're a masochist and are willing to sacrifice graphics to have the option of the illustrious Debora.

Maybe I'm just too humble for my own good, but I have no qualms with what we've gotten and are getting. Do I wish we got Joker 3? Yes. Terry 3d? Yes. DQ of the Stars? Yes. DQX? Yes. But I remember where we were back in 2012- late 2014. It just feel great in comparison.

So my honest take on all of this? We keep lobbying for everything. We won't get it all, but we'll get a lot more than if we do nothing. And the way I see it, we call out BS like the outright lies of what "Westerners wanted" while simultaneously giving support where its due.

Not much different from raising a kid.

"Did you eat the cookie?" - "No." - "Then explain the crumbs all over your face."

"Look in the toilet, I went to the potty!" - "Uhm, yeah, great job, but just flush next time."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dwaine said:

We all have our ticks. Mine was the DW IV PS cancellation. There. Are. Multiple. Interviews!!!

(Though now they're not as easily accessible...)

It's not just those.  There are a LOT of Horii interviews about online gaming, and action oriented gaming that are now gone.  Same with videos, like the DQ4 and 5 commercials I can't find anymore.  So many databases cleaned out, so many archives destroyed (thanks 1Up, and other news sites who could afford the capacity, but chose not to).

4 minutes ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Fortunately we have the fan translation of 5 PS2. That was undoubtedly THE version. Unless you're a masochist and are willing to sacrifice graphics to have the option of the illustrious Debora.

I’ve had to stick with the DS version since I got out of emulation (just felt too guilty doing it) and since PS2s are region locked. If they weren’t I’d totally play DQ5 PS2 on my PS2, language barrier be damned. It looks like it would be fun to play, not to mention the bonus of symphonic music as you play is really nice too. 

@Plattym3

Found that article. First paragraph.

37E35944-3505-4D94-96E9-82D655628A2F.thumb.jpeg.39c2a4aedbd0b5cd020d26ad79ab38eb.jpeg

Edited by eal

2 minutes ago, eal said:

@Plattym3

32F3D96B-9879-4166-A710-695D136F4852.thumb.jpeg.3305007aa9a00de988b4b79b98b3fadc.jpeg

Publisher Square Enix? That's a typo, there was no Square involved back then.

• Like 1

[mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention]
37E35944-3505-4D94-96E9-82D655628A2F.thumb.jpeg.39c2a4aedbd0b5cd020d26ad79ab38eb.jpeg
Yes, exactly. Not a law at all. A promise. Thanks for finding proof to counter your claim!
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Extra content or options will always trump graphics. Graphics are not everything in a game. Just look at Sonic Mania, indie stuff like Shovel Knight, or the recently released Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Extra content or options will always trump graphics. Graphics are not everything in a game. Just look at Sonic Mania, indie stuff like Shovel Knight, or the recently released Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. 

Debora fanboy confirmed.

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
9 minutes ago, eal said:
[mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention]

Yes, exactly. Not a law at all. A promise. Thanks for finding proof to counter your claim!

I have no horse in this race. Oh, and after that bit, they go on to talk about how it’s a big success in Japan but unpopular here.

3 minutes ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Those game do have good graphics though. Those are not ugly games. “Good graphics” does not necessarily mean “the dimples on his ass has its own physics engine.”

1 minute ago, Sword_of_Dusk said:

Uhm, no, not always. It depends on several factors. If you think the immigrant town trading with multiple town option and extra shard after final boss in DQ7 is worth it, by all means have that opinion. 

Personally I like to bring a saga like that to life as much as possible, and although I'd much prefer the original immigrant town as opposed to the dummied down monster town, the graphical improvements brought the story to life in a fantastic manner. Not that I disliked the PS1 version at all: I adore it. I even missed the long a-- beginning with temple puzzles. But the story needed to be shown in the finest way possible.

There are wonky examples too. The beating of Celes in FF6 being removed in Advance along with the graphical and sound downgrades (though slight on graphics) was not compensated by the extra content added.

Or the removal of Golbez as a child in FF4 complete, as compared to the DS game. WIth FF4 you can debate which of those 2 versions have superior graphics.

Nor was the extra content in Tales of Symphonia PS3 a valid substitute for the frame rate drop. After beating the PS3 version I managed to play a bit of the Gamecube one. I'll certainly be going to the Gamecube if I play again. I don't care about meeting the spirit forms of Kratos and Mithos.

It varies from game to game.

That all being said, I'm glad they chose the PS4 version of XI. I want the story told and shown to maximum capacity, even if I can never visit the other 10 DQ game worlds.

5 minutes ago, redneckpride4ever said:

Uhm, no, not always. It depends on several factors. If you think the immigrant town trading with multiple town option and extra shard after final boss in DQ7 is worth it, by all means have that opinion. 

Personally I like to bring a saga like that to life as much as possible, and although I'd much prefer the original immigrant town as opposed to the dummied down monster town, the graphical improvements brought the story to life in a fantastic manner. Not that I disliked the PS1 version at all: I adore it. I even missed the long a-- beginning with temple puzzles. But the story needed to be shown in the finest way possible.

There are wonky examples too. The beating of Celes in FF6 being removed in Advance along with the graphical and sound downgrades (though slight on graphics) was not compensated by the extra content added.

Or the removal of Golbez as a child in FF4 complete, as compared to the DS game. WIth FF4 you can debate which of those 2 versions have superior graphics.

Nor was the extra content in Tales of Symphonia PS3 a valid substitute for the frame rate drop. After beating the PS3 version I managed to play a bit of the Gamecube one. I'll certainly be going to the Gamecube if I play again. I don't care about meeting the spirit forms of Kratos and Mithos.

It varies from game to game.

That all being said, I'm glad they chose the PS4 version of XI. I want the story told and shown to maximum capacity, even if I can never visit the other 10 DQ game worlds.

This is why I like having different versions of the same game (or specifically the original and then remakes). Gives you different ways to play a game you’re familiar with. Or you have a case where you just prefer a certain version but would have happy to play either.

To use one of your examples, that’s how I am with FF4. I love the game, and would happily play either the 2D or 3D version depending on the mood I’m in. 3D gives you extra challenge, the augment system, a little extra story content; 2D gives you the original experience, some bonus dungeons and the ability to use old party members (at least in the GBA & PSP versions).

• Upvote 2