Dragon Quest XI Interview

Just came across a new interview about the game. Interesting read.

https://www.rpgsite.net/interview/7354-dragon-quest-xi-echoes-of-an-elusive-age-interview-11-questions-about-dragon-quest-xi

I'm particularly drawn to one part:

RPG Site: Dragon Quest XI had a 3DS version in Japan alongside the PS4 version. Why is the PS4/PC version coming to the west but not the 3DS version?

Takeshi Uchikawa: So originally the 3DS version that was released in Japan was using the old Dragon Quest visual style. It was meant to appeal to the Japanese fans that had played Dragon Quest for many years. The reason that version is not being released in the US is that Dragon Quest kind of starts with Dragon Quest VIII in the west as far as we’re concerned, and the PS4 version of Dragon Quest XI is more like what fans in the west are used to. Additionally, nobody plays the 3DS anymore. (Note: Uchikawa was joking.)

So, what? All the old games mean nothing? Did they forget the fans that fought to get VII 3DS released here? I mean, I understand what they're saying, but it still bugs me.

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, exactly. Not a law at all. A promise. Thanks for finding proof to counter your claim!

Whoa now, let's not go crazy here.

Honestly, I think I just lost my love for Dragon Quest. This is disgusting.

Posted Images

I’ve seen this pop up all over today. I suppose it was a matter of time before someone posted it here today too.

The part you cited (which everyone else has also drawn attention too) just makes me roll my eyes. At this point I’m tired of the interview and it hasn’t even been 24 hours.

Yet DQIX sold as well in the west.

Or you know, try properly marketing.

I said so many times that the 3DS version was made with Japan in mind and the PS4 version was made with the West in mind.  So many told me I was nuts.  Well, vindication, I'm the Publisher whisperer, it's as much a curse as it is a blessing.

14 minutes ago, Enclave said:

I said so many times that the 3DS version was made with Japan in mind and the PS4 version was made with the West in mind.  So many told me I was nuts.  Well, vindication, I'm the Publisher whisperer, it's as much a curse as it is a blessing.

Damn. A strange ability, to be sure.

I see this as a similar case as asking a sociopathic murderer why they just killed your family. They're going to give you a bunch of different reasons, and you're going to be pissed about all of them. It is what it is. I'm long over this. Fan port of 3DS will happen in the next couple years. Sucks, but life moves on.

I understand the disappointment, but the outright crybaby attitude of some folks (fortunately none of whom I've seen in the Den) got old quick.

Truthfully I had no idea which one they'd pick for us, simply because of the fact that DQ and Nintendo have a rather close relationship in the eyes of a lot of people (Nintendo picking up publishing, the art style often associated with the Nintendo fanbase, etc). On the flip side of that, a typical "big release" title with high end graphics and such typically lands in Sony land. Either choice, in lieu of releasing both, seemed like the logical choice, as irrational as that may sound.

As a result of such uncertainty, my wife and I were discussing it one night and came to the same conclusion: we wanted the PS4 version far more and would be disappointed without it, but we'd be far too grateful getting the 3DS one to be upset and not excited about the release.

On the other hand, saying the "DQ8 style" is what we're "used to" seems a tad foolhardy in light of a 3DS (DQ7) game being what kicked off Operation Hero and immense fan outcry. If they had said something like "DQ8 is considered a high bar by Western tastes and we figured a full on HD game with stunning graphics was best for a triple A release over there", that would at least sound honest and more thought out.

Edited by redneckpride4ever
I understand the disappointment, but the outright crybaby attitude of some folks (fortunately none of whom I've seen in the Den) got old quick.
Truthfully I had no idea which one they'd pick for us, simply because of the fact that DQ and Nintendo have a rather close relationship in the eyes of a lot of people (Nintendo picking up publishing, the art style often associated with the Nintendo fanbase, etc). On the flip side of that, a typical "big release" title with high end graphics and such typically lands in Sony land. Either choice, in lieu of releasing both, seemed like the logical choice, as irrational as that may sound.
As a result of such uncertainty, my wife and I were discussing it one night and came to the same conclusion: we wanted the PS4 version far more and would be disappointed without it, but we'd be far to grateful getting the 3DS one to be upset and not excited about the release.
On the other hand, saying the "DQ8 style" is what we're "used to" seems a tad foolhardy in light of a 3DS (DQ7) game being what kicked off Operation Hero and immense fan outcry. If they had said something like "DQ8 is considered a high bar by Western tastes and we figured a full on HD game with stunning graphics was best for a triple A release over there", that would at least sound honest and more thought out.

I can see that. "DQVIII PS2 is the standard by which western releases will be judged," seems like it'd have been a reasonable explanation.
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
8 minutes ago, redneckpride4ever said:

I can see that. "DQVIII PS2 is the standard by which western releases will be judged," seems like it'd have been a reasonable explanation.

Reminds me of back in the day all we'd hear from them is crickets. I've said it in here at least twice, but when they originally said they heard fan outcry but were worried that DQ7 wouldn't sell, I wass actually quite happy. Sometimes you feel better getting an answer even if its the one you don't want. When you hear crap like "Well, we think that the wise marketing decision is to focus on hardware A, blah blah blah", you just get mad realizing that these people are oblivious to the fact you see right through them. When they say point blank "We're worried about a financial loss", you know they're on the level.

11 minutes ago, redneckpride4ever said:

As a result of such uncertainty, my wife and I were discussing it one night and came to the same conclusion: we wanted the PS4 version far more and would be disappointed without it, but we'd be far too grateful getting the 3DS one to be upset and not excited about the release.

If you guys do decide you want the 3DS version, it’s easy enough to play in Japanese. I’ve had a good time with it. Or wait and see if a fan translation comes along.

7 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That would have been better, yes.

15 hours ago, Enclave said:

It was pretty clear from the beginning that was the plan - 3DS for Japan and PS4 for the West.  There would literally be no point in a PS4 version if it wasn’t for the West. 

I don’t think he’s wrong regarding DQ 8 as the Western highlight of the series either.  I know DQ 9 was successful also but it seems to have come and gone, like it’s not thought about as highly as DQ 8 or talked about as much.  I know for me personally, and most of the people I have talked to, DQ 8 is undeniably a far better game than DQ 9.  It seems like it’s beloved whereas DQ 9 seems kinda forgotten in the conversation.  I don’t many people who disliked DQ 9 and DQ 8 seems to be the “FF 7” version of the franchise in terms of how people talk of it. 

As for the 3DS statements, I would have liked to see it get released but I also understand that the 3DS is on its way out the door.  In terms of popularity in the West the PS4, Switch, Xbox One, and PC are all more popular.  I can see them thinking it’s more efficient to focus on the Unreal Engine version  of the game that can be easily ported across numerous devices (PS4, Steam, and Switch).  I don’t like the fact that we aren’t getting the 3DS version though.  Outside DQ 9 none of the DS or 3DS games sold well so maybe that’s what he meant with “who plays 3DS anymore?”  I think this also implies that the Switch version probably won’t feature any of the 3DS extras since it will be more work in the long run.

It sucks for those really wanting the 3DS version but I’m still happy we are getting the game at all and at least it will be on several different platforms so a lot of people will have access to it. 

• Like 2

I can see where he's coming from. VIII was sort of the series' rebirth and sold well, so they want to continue that now that's it's on a console again. Outside of us, VIII is the game many casual fans think of when they hear Dragon Quest. Sadly he's right about the 3DS. I see Switches all over the outside world. Plus it's clear Nintendo is phasing it out since it wasn't part of their E3 presentation.

52 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

I can see where he's coming from. VIII was sort of the series' rebirth and sold well, so they want to continue that now that's it's on a console again. Outside of us, VIII is the game many casual fans think of when they hear Dragon Quest. Sadly he's right about the 3DS. I see Switches all over the outside world. Plus it's clear Nintendo is phasing it out since it wasn't part of their E3 presentation.

It still pretends as though everything Nintendo released, and the success of Joker 1 did not exist.  Joker 1, which for a pokemon alternative\ is still one of the highest selling outside Japan.  For some reason Pokemon's genre is by far THE hardest to break into outside of Japan, no matter how much money is thrown at a series, and whether that series is graphically on par with new age, or appeals to kids.  Until Yokai, it was THE highest selling Pokemon alternative of all time outside Japan.

It's a slap in the face to fans.

However, coming from a perspective where they're restarting all over again, and that they only want to directly acknowledge the titles they personally released, I understand their motivations.

While I felt the same way as Erdrick did upon reading the interview, I do understand your more logical take.  For them, this isn't about us, they assume we will continue to buy the series.  It's about new fans.

This is NO different from the two competing statements made with the e3 event where DQ7 was announced and showcased.  Where one producer stated that SE heard the fans and released Dragon Quest Heroes, literally stating that Heroes was the game most fans were demanding.  Then claiming that somehow it was only a single French fan that changed their minds about Dragon Quests 7 and 8.   Then 7's producer does an interview with a smaller publication, and tells a very different story that indicates the appreciation and surprise at the level of desire from fans in the West for DQ7, and indicated it was fans around the world who wrote in (which is true...it was hardly just the French...there were a LOT of Americans, Britons, Australians, Germans, Spaniards, Mexicans, Canadians, etc. that joined in).  That same interview told the truth about what went down, and thanked us for supporting the series.  That touched me, and it meant, plain and simple, the former message was clearly meant as a selling point for non-fans.

However, while it makes more sense for them to do this given DQ11's obvious ties to DQ8, I don't buy it for a second.  I don't think for one second they never intended to release the 3DS version here.  I am firmly in the belief it was initially intended to be, and they changed their minds to focus on the PS4 graphical style, and extended the Switch release to really make it special to make up for the lack of the 3DS.  I think this is just message to reset DQ based on this paradigm of graphical outlook, and maintains the current message that the PS4 is the version strictly for us, as with the Switch.  It's just disingenuous, and that is something I can never appreciate.

4 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

This is one director making bs claims for the purpose of narrative and message.  Keeping things consistent as it helps push sales and reduces confusion for non-fans.  Clear and consistent narratives is almost a must in business, and just like with the release of Heroes 1, 2, and Builders, falls in line with the same BS "oh these were the games Western fans demanded," as is the concept that "DQ11's PS4 style is the game western fans demanded."  We know they know this is bs, but it's a box they cornered themselves into, and for the purposes of sales, it's a smart move despite the lack of morality in being deceptive and false (as we all know DQ9 is well loved, as is DQ5 amongst fans).

That shouldn't reflect on the series though.  I mean this is one man.  Dragon Quest is a game series.  It would be like saying you hate DQ's music because Koichi Sugiyama refuses to acknowledge taking part in the murder and rape of Korean women and children (yes, children as young as 1), and refuses to acknowledge that any atrocity took place when the evidence is fairly clear and obvious.  It bothers me as to his attitude, but it doesn't change that his music is quality.  Beethoven was a monster himself, and did some pretty horrible things...so was Vincent Van Gogh insane in a very literal fashion, and did some truly disgusting things due to his paranoia.

DQ as a series should stand on its own, outside the bounds of its creators.

Edited by ignasia

@ignasia

It's not one man. It's the narrative that the company pushes as a whole, even if only one man has said it, because that one man represents the company. And I'm done being jerked around by Square Enix. I think it might be better to drop DQ as a whole than to continue being disappointed by these asshats.

• Like 1

The rest of the interview is not that bad but man, this sucks. The games are good, but the producers and people in charge are not. Super disappointed this bs keeps happening. 

Uchikawa didn't need to make it sound like nobody cared for the DS/3DS/mobile games, he could just have said they want to offer something like DQ8 back in the PS2 era or just say the 3ds is not a profitable system for them nowadays. We get it, it never really had a chance of happening anyway. But there's no need to downplay the current -already small- fandom. Keep doing this and you'll reduce it to nothing. Definitely not cool. 

---

Unrelated, but i'd also like if in future interviews and articles about XI people stopped talking about how good the series does in Japan and how poorly it does in the west. We're aware, you mentioned in every single piece of media about the series for years. Now talk about the newest game, and only about it. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ignasia said:

It would be like saying you hate DQ's music because Koichi Sugiyama refuses to acknowledge taking part in the murder and rape of Korean women and children (yes, children as young as 1), and refuses to acknowledge that any atrocity took place when the evidence is fairly clear and obvious.  It bothers me as to his attitude, but it doesn't change that his music is quality.  Beethoven was a monster himself, and did some pretty horrible things...so was Vincent Van Gogh insane in a very literal fashion, and did some truly disgusting things due to his paranoia.

I know this wasn’t the exact point you’re trying to make, Sugiyama still gets paid for work, so supporting his work is different from supporting Van Gogh or, the one I hear most often, Lewis Carrol, who are both dead and have not received any compensation for their work in a very, very long time.

That being said, supporting a game that Sugiyama makes music for is different because he has already been compensated for his work. No amount of my $60 is going into his pocket, so far as I’m aware. It’s not like with Watsuki (author of Rurouni Kenshin) who will continue to receive money so long as his work is being published, money that has been proven to be used to fund the exploitation of children, thereby making any purchase of his work supporting his deplorable behavior. You can hate Sugiyama’s politics all you want (I sure do) but he already got paid, there’s nothing you can do about it. The game is out with his music in it.

Edited by eal

Unrelated, but i'd also like if in future interviews and articles about XI people stopped talking about how good the series does in Japan and how poorly it does in the west. We're aware, you mentioned in every single piece of media about the series for years. Now talk about the newest game, and only about it. 

Had a mini-rant about this last week on Facebook. I really don't read DQ articles anymore because that is 1/2 the article. Every. Single. Time.
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Had a mini-rant about this last week on Facebook. I really don't read DQ articles anymore because that is 1/2 the article. Every. Single. Time.

Along with the anecdote that there’s supposedly a law in Japan banning it from being released on a school day.

Along with the anecdote that there’s supposedly a law in Japan banning it from being released on a school day.
Which has been debunked a dozen or more years ago, yep, but still mentioned.
35 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
1 hour ago, eal said:

Which has been debunked a dozen or more years ago, yep, but still mentioned.

Not sure if this is legit or not, but it sounds like they kind of confirmed it, no official law, but an understanding

https://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-adds-credence-to-the-dragon-quest-school-skipping-holiday-legend-508250.phtml

16 hours ago, Erdrick The Hero said:

Whoa now, let's not go crazy here.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, Woodus said:
Not sure if this is legit or not, but it sounds like they kind of confirmed it, no official law, but an understanding
https://www.destructoid.com/square-enix-adds-credence-to-the-dragon-quest-school-skipping-holiday-legend-508250.phtml

It was 100% an Enix call, yes.

That article about Dragon Quest XI that was in that magazine a couple months back? It starts with that anecdote. I should go back to check but I remember it was brought up in a conversation with Yuji Horri and he didn’t seem to deny it as false.