DQ2 (PS4/XBOX One) Spotted in Walmart CA?

CA stands for Canada by the way.

• Upvote 1

If we assume it's supposed to be DQB2, then it's strange because where is the Switch version?

If it IS DQ2, there are more questions: why only DQ2 is listed? Is it a physical release? Does this mean we're also getting 1 and 3 too? Does this mean XI is getting an Xbox port (given 1-3 were released in Japan shortly after XI, and this is part of that trilogy)?

Man, this is quite strange. 

FF VII Remake is listed, which is suspicious because its implied that its being delayed with production issues, theres no way that game is coming soon, it should be a long ways off. About DQ 2, why 2 and not three, this feels like builders like mentioned but the switch version not here is suspicious as well

You guys aren’t asking the right questions. Like, who the #$*! was asking for a sequel to Rage? Or, Forza and Gears of War? As if Microsoft would think to release not one, but two exclusives. Or, why is this guy in the tweet acting all surprised about Borderlands? What else would Gearbox be doing besides the thing they’ve all but said they’re absolutely working on? None of these things add up!

34 minutes ago, muddy120 said:

FF VII Remake is listed, which is suspicious because its implied that its being delayed with production issues, theres no way that game is coming soon, it should be a long ways off. About DQ 2, why 2 and not three, this feels like builders like mentioned but the switch version not here is suspicious as well

I don't agree with that at all.  Remember four things:

1) FF7's remake has already been in production for 4 years now.

2) Original trailer came out 3 years ago in 2015.

3) Gameplay trailer came out 2 years ago in 2016.

4) The release is slated to be split into 3 parts, and several statements made by Nomura in the last two FF15 interviews indicated they were far from finishing the 1st part.

I'd wager this is quite real.

Also...click the bloody link provided in the tweet next time.

16 minutes ago, eal said:

You guys aren’t asking the right questions. Like, who the #$*! was asking for a sequel to Rage? Or, Forza and Gears of War? As if Microsoft would think to release not one, but two exclusives. Or, why is this guy in the tweet acting all surprised about Borderlands? What else would Gearbox be doing besides the thing they’ve all but said they’re absolutely working on? None of these things add up!

It's legit.  You didn't bother clicking the link to verify.

Edited by ignasia

It's more likely Walmart read general release memo's sent to retailers about potential releases, and the following happened:

1) Walmart wanted to be the first to get early pre-orders

2) Walmart assumed XBOne because of general multiplatform practices

3) Walmart jumped the gun before asking questions or waiting for more formal release info or whether it is something they even can pre-order, and what systems it's actually going to be on.  This is shockingly common, especially for larger stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and even Amazon (who put up DQ7 pre-orders several months prior to Horii leaking their impending release...then pulled them, then put them back up after the official announcement).

The point though, is that this is a definite indicator that 1~3 are coming out for PSN, or at least planned for now.  Though early leaks about the international version of DQ11 indicated the 3DS version was coming as well.  All of them, including the Gamestop leaks from Germany, which were also how we knew the Switch was both definitely a go and was Westbound.  Gamestop doesn't list stuff like that unless companies put them into their release data memos, or whatever form they put said data out into the world of retailers.

27 minutes ago, ignasia said:

4) The release is slated to be split into 3 parts, and several statements made by Nomura in the last two FF15 interviews indicated they were far from finishing the 1st part.

It was a joke.

17 hours ago, ignasia said:

The point though, is that this is a definite indicator that 1~3 are coming out for PSN, or at least planned for now. 

I see zero evidence of that in this release.  If 2, then 1 & 3.

I believe the more common reaction here, to think it's DQB2.  We'll eventually find out!

21 hours ago, ignasia said:

Have you been keeping up with the news on the game, the game is going through development issues and rumored for those first two years of development on FF VII Remake being scrapped entirely, they only have 2 years of development time now, and remade the character designs and so forth.

21 hours ago, ignasia said:

Have you been keeping up with the news on the game, the game is going through development issues and rumored for those first two years of development on FF VII Remake being scrapped entirely, they only have 2 years of development time now, and remade the character designs and so forth.

• Upvote 1

@muddy120

Nope, not for awhile.  That's terrible, and is just another reason SE needs to find new producers and directors who don't take a #$*!-ton if time on a project.  Nomura is directorial cancer, so this doesn't surprise me.  What does is that he's been almost entirely devoted to KH3.  Why the hell is Nomura working on KH3 at all?  I don't know the KH3 staffers so I have no clue, but it makes zero sense for SE's corporate body to split the man between multiple projects, and expect any headway.  That's just asinine.  Even Wada wasn't that stupid, and old Square was never that stupid.  Their only huge mistake was ego and gambling on a movie. 

Nomura should be focused on projects with an overseer that forces him to accept things as is rather than scrap everything.  He comes up with great ideas, but my God his incessant need for perfectionism kills game development, he's like three Kojima's in one, only less creative with story telling.  He really should be focused on making more TWEWY type games.

SE really should beg Sakaguchi's return.  Say what you will about the man, he got #$*! done, picked good directors and team members, spearheaded cohesion within his teams even if they worked on some wild tangents, and actually accepted stuff that was good, even if it didn't fit his own concept of perfection.  Or at least find more people like Tabata with better development sense.

@Plattym3  That's definitely a very logical choice given it's Dragon Warrior 2.  The only thing I can say for sure is this, Walmart didn't pull the title out of their ass.  They definitely looked at upcoming release lists and just filled in the blanks on their own.  So whether it's just that DQ2 was simply approved first of the trilogy, or it's DQB2 and they ignored the lack of the title of Builders for some reason, either one fits.  DQ1~3 is very likely to see a release here for the PS4, if only because of the obvious connections to DQ11, which is Erdrick Part 4.

Edited by ignasia
5 hours ago, ignasia said:

@muddy120

Nope, not for awhile.  That's terrible, and is just another reason SE needs to find new producers and directors who don't take a #$*!-ton if time on a project.  Nomura is directorial cancer, so this doesn't surprise me.  What does is that he's been almost entirely devoted to KH3.  Why the hell is Nomura working on KH3 at all?  I don't know the KH3 staffers so I have no clue, but it makes zero sense for SE's corporate body to split the man between multiple projects, and expect any headway.  That's just asinine.  Even Wada wasn't that stupid, and old Square was never that stupid.  Their only huge mistake was ego and gambling on a movie. 

Nomura should be focused on projects with an overseer that forces him to accept things as is rather than scrap everything.  He comes up with great ideas, but my God his incessant need for perfectionism kills game development, he's like three Kojima's in one, only less creative with story telling.  He really should be focused on making more TWEWY type games.

SE really should beg Sakaguchi's return.  Say what you will about the man, he got #$*! done, picked good directors and team members, spearheaded cohesion within his teams even if they worked on some wild tangents, and actually accepted stuff that was good, even if it didn't fit his own concept of perfection.  Or at least find more people like Tabata with better development sense.

@Plattym3  That's definitely a very logical choice given it's Dragon Warrior 2.  The only thing I can say for sure is this, Walmart didn't pull the title out of their ass.  They definitely looked at upcoming release lists and just filled in the blanks on their own.  So whether it's just that DQ2 was simply approved first of the trilogy, or it's DQB2 and they ignored the lack of the title of Builders for some reason, either one fits.  DQ1~3 is very likely to see a release here for the PS4, if only because of the obvious connections to DQ11, which is Erdrick Part 4.

If my parents can still call it a “Nintendo,” then some rando putting placeholder listings on Walmart’s website can call Builders 2 Dragon Quest 2. I doubt it was some calculated move on their part. And if it was the original trilogy that was coming to PSN as you said earlier, they certainly wouldn’t be selling it as a full priced game.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, ignasia said:
Spoiler

if only because of the obvious connections to DQ11, which is Erdrick Part 4.

Man, after avoiding spoilers for the better part of a year, I get one right here on this forum, in a thread unrelated to DQXI. :(

Edited by Sumez
4 hours ago, Sumez said:

Man, after avoiding spoilers for the better part of a year, I get one right here on this forum, in a thread unrelated to DQXI. :(

I'm not sure how that was a spoiler at all.  Every single article written so far has mentioned it.  SE has been very open about the connections in Japan, from the original release announcement there to every interview.  Here, every single interview as well, has openly discussed this connection to the original trilogy.

Hell, the Japanese special edition release, and the special edition PS4 are direct indicators if you weren't paying attention.  One of them had Erdrick's Sword plastered on the front.  The other, Erdrick's symbol on the top of the PS4.

This is hardly a spoiler.  It's how it's related that is significant, and I don't even know that, as I haven't paid any attention to the story, except to know that everything is based around the Hero, and the 3DS version has the Yochi Village, and through that extra, a sidequest with direct connections to the past games...all 10 of them.

7 hours ago, eal said:

If my parents can still call it a “Nintendo,” then some rando putting placeholder listings on Walmart’s website can call Builders 2 Dragon Quest 2. I doubt it was some calculated move on their part. And if it was the original trilogy that was coming to PSN as you said earlier, they certainly wouldn’t be selling it as a full priced game.

You're overplaying what I'm saying.  I'm not suggesting Walmart is making a calculated move.  I'm saying that Walmart is jumping the gun in the hopes that when those games are officially released people will come back to them again knowing Walmart will allow you to pre-order, even though they'll have to pull them.  Calculated implies intelligence, I'm not implying that.  I'm implying that SE and all other companies have internal memos that retailers are allowed to view that indicate upcoming releases that are already greenlit, and Walmart has employees, like all other retailers that are allowed to add games to the pre-order list, and someone read from it for multiple companies and just listed them ahead of time to be a "good little employee" and give Walmart an advantage, or maybe because he/she just doesn't know any better. 

Your parents are indicative of mainstream Americans with no connection to videogames, or care for them, but I'm not sure how that's relevant when it's gamers themselves that are targeted for sales, as they/we are the audience.

1 hour ago, ignasia said:

I'm not sure how that was a spoiler at all.  Every single article written so far has mentioned it.  SE has been very open about the connections in Japan, from the original release announcement there to every interview.  Here, every single interview as well, has openly discussed this connection to the original trilogy.

Hell, from the first CGI trailer we had back at the end of 2016, you can see the hero hold up the Sword of Erdrick. That was my clue right away the game was going to be connected to the original trilogy.

And Iggy is right, they've been pretty open about it's connection. They haven't said exactly HOW it's connected story wise (at least from every article/video I've seen) just that it is part of the Erdrick trilogy in some way.

I still remember how someone (I forget who) argued that the Sword of Erdrick being in the CGI trailer was just a reference and nothing more. No way was that just there for shits and giggles.

• Like 1
On 5/10/2018 at 11:24 PM, ignasia said:

@muddy120

Nomura pretty much made Kingdom Hearts, him another guy to be exact but he long since disappeared, so its similar to Keiji Inafune in that he gets credit for his IPs creation even if the first development step started with another person

Yeah they should have split the management teams accordingly similar to game freak with Pokemon, but its Square Enix, logic and them don't correlate, their mutually exclusive to logic and intelligence when it comes to business decisions/and game design

Oh trust me Sakaguchi is not coming back, as much as we want him back its not happening similar to Inafune and Capcom, said but Square Enix is a stupid corrupt company now, Sakaguchi got out of there while he could.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:23 PM, Dakhil said:

CA stands for Canada by the way.

CA also stands for California.

48 minutes ago, SonofErdrick said:

CA also stands for California.

That's true, but in the context of the tweet, CA stands for Canada.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:44 AM, muddy120 said:

Oh trust me Sakaguchi is not coming back, as much as we want him back its not happening similar to Inafune and Capcom, said but Square Enix is a stupid corrupt company now, Sakaguchi got out of there while he could.

I wouldn't call them corrupt at all.

Foolish at times, but not all of their decisions have been bad.  Their FF gaiden games have been solid each and every time, and consistently good.  The remakes are hit or miss.  If they're Mobile, that division is piss poorly run, and the only reason DQ mobile games are likely playable comparatively, is due to answering to Armor Project for quality control/oversight.

They've done some magical things by creating additional studios churning out new IP's at lower cost, but are actually halfway decent games.

Nier is magic.  Really great series I'm glad they didn't give up on, as Automata is one I genuinely look forward to playing.  I don't have to play it to know how well I'll like it.  I can tell just by watching vids, and some LP's.

KH, despite KH3, have had solid releases.  I can't think of a single bad game in the series, it's just the lack of a new actual continuation of the original saga, and not just side stories or remakes/enhanced ports.

FF's remasters have been pretty darn solid, with the exception of Steam releases, which have shoddy integration.

It's just poor management, bad relegation of duties, especially for KH's mainline games, and FF mainline.  From there it's poor choices in new directors/producers.  However SE hasn't lost nearly as many employees since Wada was removed, and they're better at communicating, and they're trying new things like FF releasing internationally simultaneously, making DQ's with Western Audiences in mind, and have FAR more realistic sales projections.

So I think we tend to overplay our distaste, by ignoring things and assuming nothing has changed, when clearly some things have, but they just make bad decisions.

Is SE greedy at times?  Yes, but a lot of that comes from development costs of new FF games more than anything, and making up for the last two major blunders, and rabid fan hatred over the wait for KH3, when they've promised the game since 2006.  Most of the ports and lazy releases are to keep the company afloat in the interim, and they are aware ports sell only so much, and remakes need to step things up to really push sales.  That enhanced ports and HD releases are solid cash-ins after X period of time, especially in the US and Europe, as home consoles sell better here than in Japan, and that Mobile freemium has to be designed to take advantage of people or it makes no money and doesn't help augment development costs.  That said, they're going in the opposite direction of Konami in every capacity.  It's just that Japan apparently has pushed Mobile gaming so hard now, that most kids have no connection to new systems, and most gamers who are adults are alienated from the higher quality experiences they would prefer if the culture weren't still so antagonistic to the idea of video games or having actual fun...and not working yourself to death like it's a merit or credit to your existence of you sacrifice everything for your "work."  At least that's the impression I get from people who live in Japan or who are Japanese, though it does seem like gaming culture is returning and given most adults were gamers in the 80's, it's becoming more and more accepted, but like with the US, it's still somewhat taboo if it's not a cell phone game.

Though SE just has to change certain patterns still to improve, like forcing Nomura to just specific games, one at a time, and keeping him in line by finding some producer who will enforce deadlines (like the Guch).  Forcing Kitase to one game at a time.  Using Tabata more often, as he does best when he headlines a project from start to finish.  Finding other talent who have creative vision, are driven individuals, and can handle deadlines and are better at cost accounting and can keep a team in sync.  Put the FF12 directors and producers to work, as they get their #$*! done...just don't bring back Matsuno unless he has an overseer, as he's nearly as bad as Nomura, but someone who can alleviate stress, since Matsuno caves and breaks under pressure of any kind...but the man is brilliant.

Make nice with ex employees.  I'm quite serious.  They would be smart to at least work in tangent with Mistwalker as another third party.  Hell, they should make nice with the owner of Quintet so he grants them permission to rework on his babies and release them, as Enix's IP's are virtually untouched outside of Tri-Ace games and Dragon Quest.  Make nice with Monolith Soft, as they can contract out independently, they're not wholly owned by Nintendo, and do a Xenogears remake.  Make it Switch exclusive.  That would get some buzz, make SE some money, make Nintendo happy, and get Takahashi fans jizzing in their pants left and right...omg...omg...omg...Xenogears remake...omg...Takahashi and Saga back in action again...omg...I feel funny down below...omg.  Get off their asses about Chrono Trigger and Cross, properly remake one, see how it goes, then release the other on PSN, then remake it if CT's remake faired well.  Just get a good team to handle it for christ sake.  How many fanboys would piss their pants at that?

Edited by ignasia

I don’t want Sakaguchi back. I want him to make good non-mobile RPGs that I know Mistwalker is capable of.

The Last Story, name alone, is the biggest middle finger to Square Enix and I love it.

24 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Lost Odyssey was good too I heard, a game I've always wanted to play. Especially after finding that Takehiko Inoue did the character designs. 

It is pretty good. Well worth playing if you can.

25 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

Lost Odyssey was good too I heard, a game I've always wanted to play. Especially after finding that Takehiko Inoue did the character designs. 

I’m on the prowl for one of those $100 4gb XBox 360s specifically so I can play the, like, 5 games on it that I want to play. Lost Odyssey is one of them, Blue Dragon, of course (hey! Another Mistwalker game!), and I want the 360 version of Alan Wake since it doesn’t run well on my laptop and I wanna revisit it again.