Sign in to follow this  
Slimeknight

Edge magazine has Dragon Quest cover.

Edge Magazine has Dragon Quest cover.  I bought it at Barnes and Noble but I haven’t read it yet.

I was literally in a Barnes and Noble today wtf.

• Like 1

Wait, Barnes & Noble still has stores?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I know right?

Wow, we still have two in my area.  The two largest malls.  Thank God.  I love actual bookstores.

Edited by ignasia

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Indeed. I like going to the one in the mall 40 minutes from my place. I just like looking around and seeing what's available even though I don't read books much anymore.

23 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Toy stores.

Still haven’t read it but I have been a Dragon Quest fan since the NES days and I think this is the first Dragon Quest cover on a western magazine.

22 minutes ago, Slimeknight said:

Still haven’t read it but I have been a Dragon Quest fan since the NES days and I think this is the first Dragon Quest cover on a western magazine.

Dragon Quest has been featured on the covers of Nintendo Power in the past. One issue (forget the number) was all about DQ9, as it was that month's big coverage.

• Upvote 1

Remember Walden Books? i do miss that place. that was where i got my first manga, Dragon Ball vol.27 

Anyways i'll have to be on the lookout for that magazine.

• Like 2

Toy stores.
Wait, there are still physical toy stores?

11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, eal said:
Toy stores.

KB still exists.

35 minutes ago, david said:

Remember Walden Books? i do miss that place. that was where i got my first manga, Dragon Ball vol.27 

None of those existed out here, but I think we had one in New York while I was still living there.  Though I was far too young to remember.

The one that really saddens me is the loss of Borders.  The seating area, coffee and cafe, along with the music section really added some spice.  Especially when you could lounge with magazines, books, and listen to music at one of the listening stations, while drinking coffee and having a pretty decent sandwich.  I'd often get to the halfway point in the books and finished every magazine I'd end up purchasing before leaving.

Does anyone remember Hastings?  Music, Movies, Videogames, and Books all in one...including accessories and a multitude of other small trinkets.  They had some amazing deals, and it was the best place to find retro hardware as they kept...everything, new, and for used...IN BOX!  They kept the bloody boxes.

Aw Borders is gone? I remember that place as well. I got a region specific one for anyone out west. when i lived in arizona for a year this place called Bookmans was pretty cool. Sounds like Hastings, which sounds familiar.

5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
7 hours ago, eal said:
Toy stores.

Yeah, called Barnes and Noble.

You guys are late lol

4 hours ago, david said:

Aw Borders is gone? I remember that place as well. I got a region specific one for anyone out west. when i lived in arizona for a year this place called Bookmans was pretty cool. Sounds like Hastings, which sounds familiar.

Lol, you guys are mad late, Borders been gone! but i'll accept if in your area it didnt seem that way

Picked it up. $12.

All the Borders and Barnes and Nobles around me closed a long time ago. We haven't had a brick and mortar new book retailer for years. We do have a couple used book stores around at least.

The internet is awesome but at the same time it has ended a few other cool things to me. Tech TV / G4, Magazines (shounen jump, tips and tricks, and so on) locations like the mentioned above, Walden Books, the local arcade, KB Toys and so on. 

Man, I haven't seen a physical Edge magazine in any store for more than 10 years. In fact maybe even closer to 15? I used to love reading that magazine, and whenever I'm at an airport I always look through every shelf for a copy, but I was never able to find one.

Meanwhile there are like 20 different mags on tattoos or gardening tools.

Edited by Sumez

On 5/5/2018 at 10:41 PM, Plattym3 said:

I've been going to Barnes and Noble stores in my area for months, they're my best book buying option since we lost Borders.  I've got 3 of 'em!  I'm even going today, later.

Come to CT, booklovers!  :D

On 5/5/2018 at 11:56 PM, david said:

I remember that store! We had one in the local mall( Local as in in a 30 minute drive.)

It was a great store, that I got some really good books, some MTG cards, and some Dilbert comic collections.  I also remember Walden Software in the same mall. great store where we got a ton of great and some not so great games for our PC and NES.

On 5/7/2018 at 12:09 AM, david said:

The internet is awesome but at the same time it has ended a few other cool things to me. Tech TV / G4, Magazines (shounen jump, tips and tricks, and so on) locations like the mentioned above, Walden Books, the local arcade, KB Toys and so on. 

To be fair, KB toys was destroyed by Corporate Looting by Bain Capital, not the internet. Arcades were destroyed by advancement in Home Console technology and over saturization of machines.

37 minutes ago, cobolisdead said:

I remember that store! We had one in the local mall( Local as in in a 30 minute drive.)

It was a great store, that I got some really good books, some MTG cards, and some Dilbert comic collections.  I also remember Walden Software in the same mall. great store where we got a ton of great and some not so great games for our PC and NES.

To be fair, KB toys was destroyed by Corporate Looting by Bain Capital, not the internet. Arcades were destroyed by advancement in Home Console technology and over saturization of machines.

Yeah, and TRU was also destroyed by greed, in addition to low foot traffic.  The latter could be fed into by the internet, but also a declining birth rate in this nation and the prevalence of cheaper alternatives like Target and Wal-Mart.  As far as corporate greed and TRU, I believe the nail in the coffin was a leveraged buyout of it's parent company.  More details can be found here:

History of ToysRUs, by Toy Galaxy:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL0L8fWXIxc

Arcades, in the US, yeah, once home consoles and PCs could provide equivalent or greater graphical experiences, the arcade in the US has been almost entirely extinguished. Fire still burns in Japan though.  Game Centers with swappable ROM "candy cabs" are still popular in Asia.  the latest FFDissidia game, which the states only got in PS4 form, was an arcade game in Japan first!

I'll be looking for that Edge magazine today when I go malling.

6 hours ago, The Dog of Zahan said:

I've been going to Barnes and Noble stores in my area for months, they're my best book buying option since we lost Borders.  I've got 3 of 'em!  I'm even going today, later.

Come to CT, booklovers!  :D

Barnes and Noble has everything. Magazine-wise, one local store even has Playboy and Penthouse on full display (in the electronics section of magazines for some reason).

There’s one store about 45 minutes away from me that’s about 2 floors. I love it.

Nice to see people appreciating Barnes & Noble. Saw a message from a comic creator saying they put small stores out of business and deserve to go down. Absolutely not. Barnes & Noble made books more accessible and visible. Many stores are involved in the community and host author signings big and small. Deciding to sketch at a Barnes & Noble drastically changed my life for the better. One of my best friends works there. Barnes & Noble is changing, so if you like your local stores, please go and support them, engage with the employees, and thank them for the service they provide for your town.

Really wish we had a store like the one you are describing somewhere around these country borders.

7 hours ago, Dwaine said:

Nice to see people appreciating Barnes & Noble. Saw a message from a comic creator saying they put small stores out of business and deserve to go down. Absolutely not. Barnes & Noble made books more accessible and visible. Many stores are involved in the community and host author signings big and small. Deciding to sketch at a Barnes & Noble drastically changed my life for the better. One of my best friends works there. Barnes & Noble is changing, so if you like your local stores, please go and support them, engage with the employees, and thank them for the service they provide for your town.

I can’t see how they could put small stores out of business. First off, they don’t even stock Marvel comics (aside from their trades), so the comic industry is barely affected. Though one would makes the argument their sales would go up if they sold their comics in bookstores...

Most Barnes and Nobles also doesn’t have very strong manga sections yet. They didn’t have Prison School for awhile and it’s hit or miss whether or not they have To-Love Ru (maybe because they’re not sealed like most mature manga?) so I have to order my smutty manga off Amazon. Speaking of Amazon, they’re the ones more likely to be putting small stores out of business seeing as they have literally every book, and cheaper then Barnes and Noble.

When I went to Chicago this year, I visited a small bookstore that had a much more unique selection then Barnes and Noble, which generally stocks mostly newer or more popular books. I left with about three books on sale that I’ve never heard of that I’m looking forward to reading.

It also had a chunk of the store dedicated to gay novels, magazines, photo books, and erotica. Haven’t seen one of those in a Barnes and Noble yet!