Sign in to follow this  
YangustheLegendaryBandit

Latest English gameplay video

A new English gameplay video has gone up, being close to 20 minutes long. It features an early dungeon in the game, showcases some more of the voice acting, and some other stuff.

Sounds like they have put voice acting onto just about every action in battle, including for the hero.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And Michi is on there :)

Nice pot pun :)

Edited by Woodus

15 minutes ago, sounderfan84 said:

What was the pot pun? I didn't catch it when i watched.

Spoiler

Added the first part of the convo for context

jarvis1.jpg

jarvis2.jpg

Gave this video a watch anyways. still not sold on it. especially with how obnoxious they sound.

Just now, david said:

Gave this video a watch anyways. still not sold on it. especially with how obnoxious they sound.

Remember the times when gameplays had no commentaries? I do... Now I need to look up for them adding "no commentary" more and more. I really want to watch the game and the sounds and music are part of it to me, not a full time rant on top of a video, guess that's what people like nowadays, guess I'm getting old.

49 minutes ago, Aurin said:

Remember the times when gameplays had no commentaries? I do... Now I need to look up for them adding "no commentary" more and more. I really want to watch the game and the sounds and music are part of it to me, not a full time rant on top of a video, guess that's what people like nowadays, guess I'm getting old.

I really doubt he's talking about the commentary people. He's likely referring to the voice acting of the characters.

1 minute ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I really doubt he's talking about the commentary people. He's likely referring to the voice acting of the characters.

Whatever! I'm giving my 2 cents into this conversation.

13 minutes ago, Aurin said:

Whatever! I'm giving my 2 cents into this conversation.

Feel free to do so. I'm just going off how david has been in the Localization News topic.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

English voice acting harms the original creators’ artistic vision, I’m sure.

1 hour ago, Woodus said:
  Hide contents

Added the first part of the convo for context

jarvis1.jpg

jarvis2.jpg

that was a pun? no wonder i didn't catch it.

40 minutes ago, eal said:

English voice acting harms the original creators’ artistic vision, I’m sure.

Agreed, original voice acting with subs usually is way better in most of games and movies, with a few exceptions where the dub is awesome.

For example, the first time I heard the original Clint Eastwood / Arnold Schwarzenegger  voice I was like WHAT?! back to the dub.

Edited by Aurin

Disagreed most strongly.  The original artist made their spoken words intelligible to their audience.  Why the hell would they want to purposely NOT make them intelligible as part of "localization".  Localization means making the game work for a certain locality.  Well, if the locality speaks English, then English shall be spoken.  Why do I want subs and to take my eyes off what is being shown on the screen.  That seems the exact opposite of what's intended.

It should be said that I was joking, making fun of the “artists’ vision” line that gets thrown around sometimes. I am the strongest proponent of English dubbing you will ever meet. I will always defend the English dub of anime, because they often get torn apart for the silliest, most elitist reasons you can think of.

I didn’t even like Prison School’s dub aside from most of the female roles, I even outright hated Andre’s cartoon Gollum voice, but I still took it’s side when people came down on them for a Gamergate joke, and actually rewatched the show in English so I could listen to it as background noise before bed.

An English dub has merit, there’s nothing wrong with them, or liking them over the Japanese track.

September can't come fast enough. DQ back to North America and on a console. The only thing that would come to a close second place in my nostalgia would be a real follow up.fo chrono trigger

4 minutes ago, Nes Erdrick said:

September can't come fast enough. DQ back to North America and on a console. The only thing that would come to a close second place in my nostalgia would be a real follow up.fo chrono trigger

There is a way to get you to September pretty fast so you don't have to wait. https://alcor.org/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Disagreed most strongly.  The original artist made their spoken words intelligible to their audience.  Why the hell would they want to purposely NOT make them intelligible as part of "localization".  Localization means making the game work for a certain locality.  Well, if the locality speaks English, then English shall be spoken.  Why do I want subs and to take my eyes off what is being shown on the screen.  That seems the exact opposite of what's intended.

I wish you could say something like this to Atlus. I still don't understand why they didn't put an English dub into Strange Journey Redux. It's the perfect game for it since you have characters from all over the world who could have different accents. Much as I'm interested in the game, them dropping the ball on a dub just baffles me.

• Like 1

Oh, my comment wasn't directed at you!

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Oh, my comment wasn't directed at you! emoji106.png

Don't worry, I know exactly who your comment was meant for.

4 hours ago, sounderfan84 said:

What was the pot pun? I didn't catch it when i watched.

Dude every single line of dialogue by the boss in the video has a pot pun, I swear. I even comment on it, haha.

5 hours ago, Woodus said:

And Michi is on there :)

I am! This is definitely one of the cooler things I've done at my job so far, even if I was too busy playing the game for the video to talk as much!

3 hours ago, david said:

Man. You are really hard to please. This game looks gorgeous and I think the voice acting is pretty great for the most part!

3 hours ago, Aurin said:

We've released gameplay videos with zero commentary... But PlayStation Underground is a show specifically for game company people to come together with PlayStation people and talk about the game being shown. Hence, commentary. At least we didn't talk over much of the voice acting! 😛

1 minute ago, Michi said:

Dude every single line of dialogue by the boss in the video has a pot pun, I swear. I even comment on it, haha. 

ah. It wasn't obvious to me that was a pun is all.

8 minutes ago, Michi said:

I think the voice acting is pretty great for the most part!

It has sounded pretty good so far. Erik's voice is the only one I'm kind of, "Okay...?" about. His voice actor sounded kind of bored in his fully spoken lines, with a few odd inflections.

Nothing horrible of course. Just a little odd. I'm sure once I'm playing the full game I'll never think of it again.

And I loved Jarvis's voice. His actor did a great job.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

15 minutes ago, Aurin said:

There is a way to get you to September pretty fast so you don't have to wait. https://alcor.org/

Lol i do prefer the cold. So September would come in the blink of an eye and I'd get to kiss the Vegas summer. Sign me up!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Michi said:

We've released gameplay videos with zero commentary... But PlayStation Underground is a show specifically for game company people to come together with PlayStation people and talk about the game being shown. Hence, commentary. At least we didn't talk over much of the voice acting! 😛

Oh, don't get me wrong, I wasn't being grumpy, it is just a personal preference, I get that some people like watching streamers or just other people play and talk while they do so, I just wanted to point out how this kind of videos have become some sort of "the norm" while non commentary ones are more "rare".

Oh man, I am so glad I asked for the 4th and 5th of September off from both jobs! Maybe I can use vacation time- getting paid to play DQ sure beats standing on my feet.

• Like 2