How Do You Play Video Games?

I got interested in making this topic after considering how many games I have to yet to beat and how I would go about completing them. For example I usually find myself playing cycling through 3-4 games and spreading myself out between them, playing a little bit each session. Right now it's Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy X-2, and Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. What do you guys do? Do you marathon games, take it slowly, one at a time, spread yourself between a few games at a time, everyday, on the weekends, at night, or during day? Those kinds of things. 

It usually happens one of two ways:

1) I get REALLY into one game and it becomes the one I focus on entirely. Happened with Fire Emblem Echoes, Shadow of the Colossus, Pikmin 2, Final Fantasy IX, Dark Souls 3, usually with any Atlus RPG unless the "3rd Stratum Curse," or an equivalent to it kicks in, and whenever I replay Ocarina of Time.

2) I jump between a few of nothing sticks. I try not to let this happen too much though, otherwise several games go unfinished and I don't like that.

Time length wise, just depends. Free days are usually with games depending on what's going on, while on days were I work I might get home and not have much motivation to play something. Both of those aren't guaranteed, though.

I’m all over the place. Like, two hours at a time, switching between games, usually never finishing 80% of them. I loved Gravity Rush 2 and I haven’t gotten around to the last 1/3 of the game yet. Same with Nier: Automata (though I technically beat it).

8 minutes ago, eal said:

I’m all over the place. Like, two hours at a time, switching between games, usually never finishing 80% of them. I loved Gravity Rush 2 and I haven’t gotten around to the last 1/3 of the game yet. Same with Nier: Automata (though I technically beat it).

I wouldn't even consider it a technical completion until you see at least one of the third route endings.

6 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

I wouldn't even consider it a technical completion until you see at least one of the third route endings.

I count games as beat as “seen the credits,” or else I’d lose my mind trying to finish every route trying to get true endings  in visual novels or Persona 4 Arena. I had to throw the rules out the window though when it came to Nier: Automata considering the game’s story structure.

Typically I have one major game going. From January to March it was Trails of Cold Steel. I may have a small game (like Dragon Fantasy) or a game I play but may never finish (Dungeon Travelers 2) going too, but 90% of my time and effort is always on a single game.

Realistically I only get from 9pm until I fall asleep to play games, and not but a night or two a week when I'm knee-deep in papers for college. So, it's mainly been Vita and 3DS games for the past couple years. When my classes end this summer, I hope to get more in a routine daily and get back to PS4 gaming too.

6 minutes ago, redneckpride4ever said:

I typically use an electronic device.

Oh man, you haven't experienced real gaming until you've done the aroma experience. Earthbound was the piorneer of this style of play thanks to its infamous ad tagline: This game stinks.

ebsac_mail_inside.jpg

• Like 1

I tend to take it slowly, one game at a time. The more artistic (story, worldbuilding, art quality, etc.) a game is, the easier it is for me to just sit back and enjoy.

I try to sneak time for gaming in any way I can. Usually it involves skipping some of my sleep since work, my girlfriend, and my daughter are all very demanding of my time. I used to take my time and explore the nuances of whatever I was playing... not so much anymore.

I play what I feel when the mood strikes 

On 4/21/2018 at 2:44 PM, eal said:

I count games as beat as “seen the credits,” or else I’d lose my mind trying to finish every route trying to get true endings  in visual novels or Persona 4 Arena. I had to throw the rules out the window though when it came to Nier: Automata considering the game’s story structure.

See it's specifically because of Automata's story structure that I couldn't consider it beat after Route A. If it were a slightly different case like with a visual novel I could see it, but Automata's routes are so inseparably tied that I couldn't see it beat. Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

See it's specifically because of Automata's story structure that I couldn't consider it beat after Route A. If it were a slightly different case like with a visual novel I could see it, but Automata's routes are so inseparably tied that I couldn't see it beat. Just my opinion.

I’ve agreed with you this whole time. I technically “beat” it, since the universal sign a game has been beat is the credits, but I personally don’t consider it beat because of the structure of the game. Since it’s outside the norm, I had to apply rules outside the norm and it’s still labeled “Unfinished” on my backlog, despite seeing the credits.

I usually play one, maybe two games, at a time, for a month or two, then I try to find the next thing for me, be it off my backlog, or some new acquisition.  Problems occur when I have to share a game on the same system with my husband.  He usually gets ahead of me as I get distracted by whatever I'm playing to fill the time while waiting for him to finish his game time.  It happened with Horizon Zero Dawn, Disgaea 5, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 among others.  It can be months before I'll go back to playing any such game, if at all, sadly.  Oddly enough however, the reverse can happen, as I beat South Park Fractured LONG before my husband, who still has yet to finish it.

Otherwise, in between my long sessions with RPGs, I return to retro gaming.  My favorites in this vein are anything in the classic Megaman series.  My favorite Megaman games are 2, 3, 5, and 10.

Another thing I may do is embrace anything thematically related to the game I'm playing, going for full immersion.  For example, when playing XCOM, I was temporarily obsessed with alien invasion sci-fi and went on a binge of youtubing the 60's show Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons.  If I were to play Elite Dangerous or Colony Wars, I might choose space opera like Babylon 5 or Andromeda.  While playing Shadownrun I might read Neuromancer or any Shadowrun novel I might find, or even just the rulebooks.  Stuff like that, fuel for the boiler of the hype train.

Sadly though, after a month or two, distractions in my life like work or major weekend events intervene and derail my focus on the game in question.  This can take many forms, from a visit from a friend or a long stretch of work days, that sap my playing time and distract me from my goal of completing the game until it doesn't feel as imperative as it used to.Now that most of my games are on 3DS or Switch, this is happening less, but it's still quite a problem. 

And @YangustheLegendaryBandit, the 3rd Stratum Curse is super real for me.  :P

I usually am a one game at a time guy. The problem has become, since getting married and having children, that this takes literally months and I lose interest, especially when trying to complete difficult or time-consuming end game tasks. I often just start on another game where the story progresses and characters develop faster. I try to play a few minutes before bed (since I'm basically a 3DS only guy now), on lunch break before work, or when the kids are napping. My wife works from home, so I have to do a lot of the household chores in the evenings while she is working, since she has the kids during the day. The only time I get to spend hours on a game is when I get sick. It's a little twisted, but sometimes instead of "Crap! I'm getting a cold or the flu," I think "Yes! I get some game time!" when I probably should be sleeping. I'm always envious when I visit the Den and see how far people have gotten in new games when I'm still only 30 minutes in! 

• 1 year later...

I used to play a few games at a time and they would usually get dropped at some point. Lately I've been good about sticking to one game at a time, though there may be a side game where I don't really have to focus on things. I try to stay away from the same genre of games if I'm playing a couple at the same time. The most recent example was Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Dragon Quest IV. I've kind of given up on Horizon since I'm getting open world fatigue and it's much easier for me to play handheld games nowadays.

Typically I have one major game going. From January to March it was Trails of Cold Steel. I may have a small game (like Dragon Fantasy) or a game I play but may never finish (Dungeon Travelers 2) going too, but 90% of my time and effort is always on a single game.

Realistically I only get from 9pm until I fall asleep to play games, and not but a night or two a week when I'm knee-deep in papers for college. So, it's mainly been Vita and 3DS games for the past couple years. When my classes end this summer, I hope to get more in a routine daily and get back to PS4 gaming too.
Reading this it's pretty much the same these days, but mainly nightly I can play.

My PS4 playing did increase a great deal, probably 200ish hours since last August. Then again, DQXI was half of that.

• 1 year later...

One game at a time before i go to the next one and see if theres any loose ends that should be cleared up.

I usually have about 5 or 6 games on hand. Usually, there's one or two I play every day, and the other 4 get played every week.

It really started becoming a bigger list when Pokemon started introducing time based events. I'd play MMBN for awhile, but I'd have to switch carts to check on my berries in Pokemon.

Currently, I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 2, and I have 3 WII games on standby (2 RPGs, and Smash IV). I'm also playing Castle of the Winds. Of those five games, I've only actually touched two of them today.

My strategy is probably a bad one. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next in about 50 games I have because I put them on the back burner for weeks or months.

• Like 1

Reading this it's pretty much the same these days, but mainly nightly I can play.

My PS4 playing did increase a great deal, probably 200ish hours since last August. Then again, DQXI was half of that.
A year later and it's all Switch and my hacked Vita. Geeze, June 2019 may be the last time I seriously even played my PS4.

• 5 months later...

When my classes end this summer, I hope to get more in a routine daily and get back to PS4 gaming too.

4 years later, I've played exactly 2 PS4 games.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:17 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It usually happens one of two ways:

1) I get REALLY into one game and it becomes the one I focus on entirely. Happened with Fire Emblem Echoes, Shadow of the Colossus, Pikmin 2, Final Fantasy IX, Dark Souls 3, usually with any Atlus RPG unless the "3rd Stratum Curse," or an equivalent to it kicks in, and whenever I replay Ocarina of Time.

2) I jump between a few of nothing sticks. I try not to let this happen too much though, otherwise several games go unfinished and I don't like that.

Time length wise, just depends. Free days are usually with games depending on what's going on, while on days were I work I might get home and not have much motivation to play something. Both of those aren't guaranteed, though.

This all still holds true, except now I play my games while sitting on a pile of money surrounded by many beautiful women. Just going for the Rainier Wolfcastle experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

4 years later, I've played exactly 2 PS4 games. emoji1787.png

This summer I wanna play through a bunch of my PS4 games! I’d like to restart Blue Reflection (it just feels like a summer weekend kind of game), Attack on Titan I might start from the beginning (I was doing so well and then I got totally derailed by a brutally tough boss). In the fall I’ll probably try to complete MediEvil and Murdered: Soul Suspect, some spooky games in October. In December, who knows, I might try to polish off the last few Challenges in Spider-Man: Miles Morales and clear the rest of the benchmarks (...and try to do that last damn bonus objective in one of the bases...) and finally complete it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, eal said:

This summer I wanna play through a bunch of my PS4 games! I’d like to restart Blue Reflection (it just feels like a summer weekend kind of game), Attack on Titan I might start from the beginning (I was doing so well and then I got totally derailed by a brutally tough boss). In the fall I’ll probably try to complete MediEvil and Murdered: Soul Suspect, some spooky games in October. In December, who knows, I might try to polish off the last few Challenges in Spider-Man: Miles Morales and clear the rest of the benchmarks (...and try to do that last damn bonus objective in one of the bases...) and finally complete it.

My goal is to play through more PS4 games this year too. Want to finally play Sekiro and finish off Trails of Cold Steel 2.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

I try to focus on one single player game at a time. For multiplayer games, I juggle in between them. I don't like the idea of not fully completing a single player game and hopping to another. Unless I plan on doing NG+ or another branching story later on.

• Like 1