TheKingOfTheDragovians

Yosuke Sucks(and that's okay)

Time to own up people. Yosuke sucks, not in a hentai, though he'd probably like that, but as a person. First his design. He wears headphones all the time, because constantly #$*!ing about how boring everything is isn't enough to tell people your a douchebag. All the hair dye must have gone to his brain, because what kind of person crashes headfirst into a trashcan? Hah, a trashcan, that was probably an intentional metaphor to let us know what this guy really is, all he's missing is a fedora to complete him. Yosuke x Fedora OTP.

P4

Now for his usage in battle. I've gotta say Atlus went really meta in making I Have Fantasies About Narukami Hanamura's battle use as useless as his character. Greatest fusion of gameplay and story I've ever seen. Outdone in pretty much everything went it comes to healing, magic, and damage output. Suppressed Homosexual Tensions Hanamura is the fastest character in the game at least, he's "fast",  but can't keep up for playing the long game, if you needed anymore proof that this guy couldn't please a woman for #$*!.

Not thaf he'd even want a woman, don't let his pervy attitude fool you, the guy's in the closet. It's why he's always taken out his insecurity on Kanji. Is that some pretty bad and tenuous at best headcanon, most likely, but the deleted voice clips don't lie. His confrontation with his Shadow is literally about how he doesn't really care about anybody and just used Saki's death as an excuse to be a hero. The fact it's so similar to Adachi's main reason for killing people, Adachi, the guy who was chosen because he exemplified emptiness, should tell you something.  Nevermind that Saki probably hated him, and who wouldn't, the guys hella annoying and kind of a douche. Can't handle not having the universe revolve around him? Coming down with a case of "nice guy" syndrome? No, it's much more insidious, Yosuke only views those around him as white noise to mute the crushing reality of his fundamental emptiness. Of course in typical Yosuke fashion he always takes it out on other people, or places, of course Inaba must be the problem, his unsatisfactory life has nothing to do with his own actions and attitude, isn't that convenient. It's convenient that the problem is with the world and not himself, always taking the path of least resistance. Pretty much the opposite of your Tarot Card...

Wait...

Hmm. This is a description of the Magician from BiddyTarot, "The Magician is associated with the planet, Mercury and carries with it skill, logic, and intellect. The number of the Magician is one, the number of beginnings. The Magician is the bridge between the world of the spirit and the world of humanity. His right hand holds a staff raised toward the sky and his left hand points to the earth. He takes the power of the Universe and channels it through his own body and directs it to the physical plane. Above the Magician’s head is the symbol of eternity and around his waist is a snake biting its own tail, another symbol of eternity. His magical table holds all four suits of the Tarot, each of which represents one of the four primordial elements of the alchemists – earth, air, fire and water. These symbolise the appropriate use of mind, heart, body and soul in the process of manifestation. The Magician’s robe is white, symbolising the purity and innocence found in the Fool but his cloak is red, representing worldly experience and knowledge. In the bed of flowers at his feet this duality is repeated in the mix of pure white lilies and thorny red roses."

Magician Tarot Card Meanings tarot card meaning

So the Magician is all about channeling inner strength in order to focus on one goal and see it through to the end. Well that's nothing like Yosuke, his entire flaw is that he needs to keep going to the next source of stimulation so he can avoid boredom. Or maybe there's something that was missed in his S. Link. Alright. Let's look at his Persona for a second. His Ultimate Persona, Takehaya Susano-o, is obtained with a Maxed S. Link and talking to him after 1/10. Not much, but there's something interesting about its final skill, Youthful Wind. Not much, a multi target healing spell. But, it's also the only multi target healing spell he learns?! All his other ones are single target. Maybe a stretch, but in a way this can be seen as Yosuke learning to not only care about himself, but others as well. After all the final parts of his S. Link have him talking about how he's come to love Inaba. Now THAT'S the greatest fusion of gameplay and story I've ever seen. As the game moves towards the end he starts focusing on getting to the killer, not letting himself get distracted, and seeing his mission through to the end. Coming to embody the magician even more. Coming to accept his true self. While the Shadow is a repressed desire, that does not make it the true desire, just a desire unseen, one that hides away. He forever continues his journey, for the pursuit of his true self, a modern day Sisyphus who is going towards a destination he may never reach, but the journey towards said destination is where he finds the things that are truly important in life.

Maybe what we got in a bad person who we think is a bad character, was a good character that became a good person. I think, Yosuke wears headphones because if he took them off, all he's left to listen to are the thoughts of the only person he truly hates, himself. He wants to be like Yu, he wants to be the main character, he wants an interesting life. But he feels he can't really accomplish anything, that it's not possible for him to change. But the truth is, even he can change. In way his emptiness is a blessing and curse, a curse because it means he is fundamentally without a reason to live, but something that is empty is something that is also in the process of being filled. From there, he can become whoever he wants, inside, he is infinite.

Edited by TheKingOfTheDragovians
  • Upvote 1

You lost me at the tarot card when you went full Iggy mode, but you're aren't wrong and had me cracking up beforehand!  @eal might have started these as a joke (and I definitely continued it as such), but they're awesome.  I know who I'm sucking next.  I mean, I know who else sucks.  It'll be iconic if not as long and hard to write.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I know who I'm sucking next.

Ignasia tested, ignasia approved!

I would say something of substance, but I haven't played Persona 5.  Definitely planning on it, but for now priorities, priorities:

1) DQ11 first

2) YS8 second

3) Ni No Kuni 2 third

4) 3DS games I haven't gotten yet

5) Switch + Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + BotW + Mario Odyssey

6) Fleshing out PS4 library, and this is where P5 comes in

4 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

You lost me at the tarot card when you went full Iggy mode, but you're aren't wrong and had me cracking up beforehand!  @eal might have started these as a joke (and I definitely continued it as such), but they're awesome.  I know who I'm sucking next.  I mean, I know who else sucks.  It'll be iconic if not as long and hard to write.

Never go fully iggy.  Never!  That's for me to do, so you don't have to hurt yourself.

11 hours ago, ignasia said:

Ignasia tested, ignasia approved!

I would say something of substance, but I haven't played Persona 5.  Definitely planning on it, but for now priorities, priorities:

But this is Yosuke Hanamura from P4. :wink:

7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

But this is Yosuke Hanamura from P4. :wink:

Since I don't yet own P4...yeah, that's a bit embarrassing.  Definitely need to get that game.  I only have P1/2/3fes.  I have SMT 3.  I have DDS1/2, and that's it.

14 hours ago, ignasia said:

Since I don't yet own P4...yeah, that's a bit embarrassing.  Definitely need to get that game.  I only have P1/2/3fes.  I have SMT 3.  I have DDS1/2, and that's it.

That's OK, I think there's someone with a similar name in P5 too.

55 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

That's OK, I think there's someone with a similar name in P5 too.

Yusuke. Arguably a better character too, who I’m sure Yosuke would be really uncomfortable around and would make a point of letting you know it every time in the most exaggerated way possible.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:00 AM, eal said:

Yusuke. Arguably a better character too, who I’m sure Yosuke would be really uncomfortable around and would make a point of letting you know it every time in the most exaggerated way possible.

Can't even deny that. But to be fair you should always be suspicious of those who wear hoodies to the beach.

On 4/9/2018 at 2:41 PM, TheKingOfTheDragovians said:

P4

I've only ever played the first Devil Survivor, but that is an astonishingly punchable haircut.

12 hours ago, JaybirdC said:

I've only ever played the first Devil Survivor, but that is an astonishingly punchable haircut.

Yosuke is a very punchable dude, even he would agree.

You know what Persona related thing sucks? Persona 1. I started with 2, so maybe that is what messed it up for me, but holy heck is P1 a royal pain to play.

• Like 1

Hiragana is best.

• Like 1

More of a katakana guy.

• Like 1